Belgian Blond - Yeast Suggestion?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Hi everyone...might sound dumb but I'm wondering what sort of yeast to use in an upcoming Belgian Blond. Its a recipe made up primarily from the leftovers I've found around the place in a clean-out, but I want to use something other than a Cascade or Coopers kit yeast as they are the only options I have on hand. I'd like the yeast to be a dried one though, if thats even possible.

So, any suggestions for a dry yeast suitable for a Belgian? Or am I going down Liquid Yeast Rd. here?

Cheers - boingk

I made a blonde for the NSW case swap and used WY1214. Gives up lots of yummy esters. Not sure that a dry yeast is going to be up to the job.

cheers

grant

I think you're heading down liquid yeast rd. I don't think there are any good dry yeasts that will impart the characters you want in your bbelgian ale.

Listening to the Jamil show on this, i think they recommended the following:

Wyeast 1214 / WLP500
or
Wyeast 3787 / WLP530

I'm going by memory here, but i am pretty sure that what they recommended.

Cheers

SJ

I really like this style lately. +1 for Wyeast 3787 (Westmalle), made a blond with just a hint of coriander, went down very nicely over xmas/boxing day. I'd try Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes (Achouffe)

i use 1388 for my blondes

Hi everyone...might sound dumb but I'm wondering what sort of yeast to use in an upcoming Belgian Blond. Its a recipe made up primarily from the leftovers I've found around the place in a clean-out, but I want to use something other than a Cascade or Coopers kit yeast as they are the only options I have on hand. I'd like the yeast to be a dried one though, if thats even possible.

So, any suggestions for a dry yeast suitable for a Belgian? Or am I going down Liquid Yeast Rd. here?

Cheers - boingk

I agree with a few of the above posters. I made a belgian with 1214 a few months ago, I can't recommend it enough.

Cheers - boingk
S33 dry yeast.

Used it before. Took 6 weeks for the flavours to meld in the TDA Blonde recipe, but was remarkably similar to Leffe.

Beerz
Les

was in a similiar situation deciding whether to get liquid or dry belgian yeast and chose liquid partially because
the duvel yeast is only 7.5$ at grain and grape atm (6months old ) but mine almost made the smack pack explode in a day or two
i'd defs get a liquid yeast as u can re-use them so its cheaper in the long haul and they create a superior beer

Another vote for 3787 from me.
And let it get warm after the first few days of fermentation.

Doc

Thanks for all the replies everyone, looks like I'll be ordering my first liquid yeast! Still not sure which strain I'll be fermenting with but at least I know what path I'm going down. At the moment I'm leaning towards 1214, but I might order one of the others instead.

Thanks again for the replies - boingk

EDIT: Hey Les, almost didn't see your point for S-33 what with all the WYeast strains, be interesting to see how it compares with one of them...hmmm...I sense an experiment coming on ;)

Latest posts

Back