Belgian Ale Queries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CASHMAN

Reaction score
Gday everyone ...new to this site so beer ;) with me ... have been brewing for 9 months using different mix in cans and kits form homebrew shop... had some nice brews but nothing to get too excited about... tried 3 lagers but mostly ales... want 2 try a mash but still investigating on how...

anyhow ...

i just got a brewcraft belgian ale with the #66 wheat kit... yeast under lid has the letters " YTB " on sachet
Now, im living in Melbourne and its cold and i dont use a hot box been brewing lagers with a low temp yeast ... can i brew the belgian with this "YTB" yeast as i brew in shed and would get real cold ... or do i use a different type of ale yeast for low temp's ? if possible ?
Im going to use 8g's of saaz but have some Hersbrucker in the fridge which i havent used yet so might add a little 2 see how it goes...

any tips would be great

Gday everyone ...new to this site so beer ;) with me ... have been brewing for 9 months using different mix in cans and kits form homebrew shop... had some nice brews but nothing to get too excited about... tried 3 lagers but mostly ales... want 2 try a mash but still investigating on how...

anyhow ...

i just got a brewcraft belgian ale with the #66 wheat kit... yeast under lid has the letters " YTB " on sachet
Now, im living in Melbourne and its cold and i dont use a hot box been brewing lagers with a low temp yeast ... can i brew the belgian with this "YTB" yeast as i brew in shed and would get real cold ... or do i use a different type of ale yeast for low temp's ? if possible ?
Im going to use 8g's of saaz but have some Hersbrucker in the fridge which i havent used yet so might add a little 2 see how it goes...

any tips would be great
I'm not 100% on the yeast but most belgians benefit from fermentation at more normal ale temps, and sometimes higher, to get the yeast character you want.
If you can't keep it warmish I'd suggest holding off on brewing this one, and stick with lagers or ales that can benefit from lower temps.

Latest posts

Back