Beersmith W.T.F.!!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie_b

Reaction score
Save me Jebus... this thing is tricky. Been using it a while with BIAB but just got me a Guten 40L and am well lost...

Putting the equipment setup aside (am I alone in thingking "goddamnit how many of these things are sold why isn't it in a list" and then secretly feel ashamed because I CBF putting the effort in to work it out myself!? Or is it there and I'm blind to it!?!?). So I've added my own off some random webpage that I've already clesed so can't refer to it again 😅. So I believe that is correct but could also be very wrong (refer to pic for my settings).

I'm looking to do a single infusion so I've selected single infusion medium body, and it's telling me to add 12L of water!?!? (in second pic).

Anyone know how to correct this? Pretty stoked to get using the Guten to really nail down some recipies so want to have the settings right to get to understand the results of what I'm tweaking.

Cheers guys!

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-05-01 113444.jpg
    Annotation 2020-05-01 113444.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 22
  • Annotation 2020-05-01 113508.jpg
    Annotation 2020-05-01 113508.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 23
Sounds like you haven't adjusted the amount of water per kg of grain. It will be in the settings some where on the mash page. I think when you selected "single infusion, medium body" it has inserted the amount of dough in water for you.

hmmm, cheers mate, I've since come across brewfather. It's looking pretty amazing, any reason why to use beersmith over brewfather??

OK so I'm a convert, until someone can convince me otherwise, Brewfather is the way to go. If you want headaches, random screaming at your monitor or have a penchant for general keyboard abuse, knock yourself out with beersmith. If you want to brew and remember what you did, even plan ahead a bit and then see how you went. Get Brewfather. Seems like a no brainer until someone comes up with a compelling reason for self flagellation

OK so I'm a convert, until someone can convince me otherwise, Brewfather is the way to go. If you want headaches, random screaming at your monitor or have a penchant for general keyboard abuse, knock yourself out with beersmith. If you want to brew and remember what you did, even plan ahead a bit and then see how you went. Get Brewfather. Seems like a no brainer until someone comes up with a compelling reason for self flagellation

I seem to have mixed results using BeerSmith as well & don't use it any more. I use BeerTools Pro which is awesome but not as intuitive as BS3. You need to get your head around a few things before using it but it's really good & I like the layout much better.
Treat the Guten just like biab in an urn as it's really only a temp controlled biab. Set up a new profile for it & a new equipment profile in BS3 but just make sure when you are setting up the mash profile, you tick the Biab mash full volume button down the bottom. That will get rid of that flysparge volume & add it to your full volume mash.
IMG_1945.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG

Cheers crusty! You put Beertools Pro up against Brewfather?

Cheers crusty! You put Beertools Pro up against Brewfather?

BeerTools Pro shits all over it.
I've tried Brewfather, BeerSmith, Spreadsheets, Brewmate & BeerTools Pro.
For simplicity & accuracy, BrewMate is really good. If you want to get more detailed with more functionality, BeerSmith. I know a couple of commercial brewers that run BeerTools Pro so I jumped on that. I've had a few teething issues due to user error but I've got it dialed in now. If you go that way, I'll give you a hand with setting it up. It's not as intuitive as BeerSmith so It'll do ya head in until you understand how the software calculates the brew day.

For simplicity & accuracy, BrewMate is really good. If you want to get more detailed with more functionality, BeerSmith. I know a couple of commercial brewers that run BeerTools Pro so I jumped on that. I've had a few teething issues due to user error but I've got it dialed in now. If you go that way, I'll give you a hand with setting it up. It's not as intuitive as BeerSmith so It'll do ya head in until you understand how the software calculates the brew day.
It’s not as intuitive as BeerSmith! OMG! I have used BeerSmith 2 & 3 & I find it not intuitive at all!
I use Brewfather & I find it very good - use it on my single vessel system and my 3 v system and no dramas!

It’s not as intuitive as BeerSmith! OMG! I have used BeerSmith 2 & 3 & I find it not intuitive at all!
I use Brewfather & I find it very good - use it on my single vessel system and my 3 v system and no dramas!
Inclined to agree with you there, beersmith is not user friendly at all, bloody horrible. Crusty, what are you getting from beersmith and Beertools Pro that makes them so preferable to Brewfather!?

Inclined to agree with you there, beersmith is not user friendly at all, bloody horrible. Crusty, what are you getting from beersmith and Beertools Pro that makes them so preferable to Brewfather!?

It's just personal preference really. They all work to but I just prefer the layout & the features of BTP against the others. I get consistent results as well & my inputs match my actual results. I did have a balls up on my first brew in over 18 months where I had my grain absorption & my efficiency set wrong so my 4% Lager is looking more like the big brother @4.8%. My fault though but corrected for next time.

It's just personal preference really. They all work to but I just prefer the layout & the features of BTP against the others. I get consistent results as well & my inputs match my actual results. I did have a balls up on my first brew in over 18 months where I had my grain absorption & my efficiency set wrong so my 4% Lager is looking more like the big brother @4.8%. My fault though but corrected for next time.

Nice one, thanks for the input crusty!

Beersmith V1.3 FTW. Very happy with the older version, since 2005. I'm sure you can find one online. More current versions got too complicated.

Hi guys.

Newbie to the forum.

I've used Beersmith for a good few years now.

If you take the time to go through all the settings and enter the various readings for your own setup it works great.

I spent 2 days filling and measuring, liquids temps, volumes etc, then I made up my own profiles by editing existing profiles.

Now my brewing is bang on with Beersmith.

Just my tuppence worth

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I brewed a Pale Ale on the weekend this time with BeerSmith.
Hit my volumes & my pre-boil gravity. Got expected volume into fermenter & hit my OG.

Latest posts

Back