Beersmith Software

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
Does anyone here use BeerSmith software?
Is it worth while using or is there something else that maybe better?
Price isn't a big issue but i am more interested in the bang for your buck. BeerSmith is only about $21 which isn't too bad really if it is recommended by anyone.

BS is what I use and I find it great to work with once you get to know the navigation. There is a new version coming out soon that has all the refinements asked for by previous users.

Cheers, Hoges.

Does anyone here use BeerSmith software?
Is it worth while using or is there something else that maybe better?
Price isn't a big issue but i am more interested in the bang for your buck. BeerSmith is only about $21 which isn't too bad really if it is recommended by anyone.

I have been using brewmate http://www.brewmate.net/ which is free. I believe it is put together by fellow AHB members.

Can't comment on brewsmith as I have not used it but brewmate is great for me. Easy to use, and being fairly new to AG it has been a great help. Definitely worth a look for the price :)

BS is what I use and I find it great to work with once you get to know the navigation. There is a new version coming out soon that has all the refinements asked for by previous users.

Cheers, Hoges.

I agree, BS is a good piece of software, which will work hard for your money. It is showing it's age lately though, but as Hoges says the new version due out in a month or so will be sort out a few problems.

The user interface is a bit quirky, and it takes a while to get into the finer points, but once you know your way round it, you will wonder how you brewed without it. I find the recipe scaling and the 'water required' calculator very useful, and the ability to import recipes and ingredients from other BS users, and from BeerXML is great.

Apparently, Brad (head programmer) will be offering a reduced upgrade price for existing users who will upgrade to the new version when released, but no-one is sure how much it is, and when exactly the new version will be out.

I have Beersmith (paid my $A 23 or whatever at the time) but also have the excellent BrewMate from Randyrob here on the forum.

BM does everything I need for designing and recording recipes and brew batches. It has some great built in calculators for strike temperatures, etc, and it's constantly being refined. I no longer use BeerSmith.

As I have posted elsewhere, to me BS is a bit like hopping into a Kenwood B Double to pop down the street for a loaf when the Barina does the job perfectly.

There will be others who enjoy the more fully featured BS, which can also keep your ingredients inventory for you etc. I've never bothered with that feature or many of the others, and whilst it's a fine suite of software, it's not for everybody.

The evaluation version of BS is free, have a play with it and with BrewMate or Promash etc and make up your own mind, preferably after a good few AG brews so you are comfortable with the AG concepts and terminology.

Edit: I'd have to say that if Randyrob charged $20 for BrewMate I'd whip my plastic out in a blur :icon_cheers:

Thanks for your input. After all the positive response here I think I will have a look at Brewmate and as Bribie said, can have a look at the free trial version of BeerSmith. I'll wait for the later though so I can put it to use at the same time and they may have updated it by then B)

I use lots of different software for recipe formulation. Not because i need to, just because i'm interested in how they all work.

I use Beersmith. Have used it for the last few years and enjoyed it, but then went to Brewmate which is also excellent and created by RandyRob - AHB member, and it's free! Although as BribieG mentions, i too would not hesitate to part with cash to use it if he decided to start charging for it.

Of late however, i have gone back to BeerTools Pro which is also excellent.

They all take a bit of getting used to, as they all operate in slightly different ways, but that doesn't worry me. It's part of the learning process to me.

Brewmate (i think is by far the easiest to use) and it's pretty bloody accurate i've found. It may be all you ever need.
Beersmith is massively complex if you want it to be but once you work it out, is also easy to navigate.
BeerTools Pro is by far the most "modern" looking of them, but it also works differently.

The other "main" contender is ProMash which is also excellent, i've just never used it.

Beersmith will be updated in a month or so, Brewmate keeps getting updated constantly (thanks Rob), and i believe i may have seen something about ProMash getting an upgrade soon too.

Try 'em all i reckon and see which one does what you want (they all will) the way you want it to do it.

Cheers,

Nath

I am still one of those who love promash aslo have tried beersmith and thats fine too its personal preferance as long as the software does what u want it to then u be fine als i couldnt get beer mate working under wine in natty 11.04 but peomash and beersmith work under wine in linux

Brew Mate....so easy to use nice work randyrob.

Back