Beersmith 2.0

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not played with it that much. going to do a brew tonight and give it a proper go.

Looks good; hope they added the ability to configure your boil evaporation rate in litres p/hour instead of a percentage per hour...

Is the newer version suitable for an immigrant from promash or should I start with the previous version?

Cheers

Paul

Congrats on the OS X native. That gives you pull over the competition.

However be warned that OS X users are ex-Windows users and can take harshly to over-complicated interfaces as a sign of lazy engineers from Windows trying to flog on the OS X platform without looking at what all the native OS X developers do, make the interfaces intuitive and friendly to the point you no longer need a manual or to ask m/any questions.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

+1

Couldn't agree more BP...

Is the newer version suitable for an immigrant from promash or should I start with the previous version?

Cheers

Paul

Beersmith V2 is my recommendation. It is very simple to use. About 10 minutes max and you will be very comfortable.

I love Beersmith, and keep coming back to it after trying the others.

I must say though, that making it MORE complex and harder to navigate than the original is a bad move. The tabs inside movable windows inside side lists with those icons everywhere and non standard button locations looks like a giant, hard to use train crash. Classic case of design by engineer.

<snip image>

UI expert needed ASAP at BeerSmith HQ.

Yeah, in a past life as a BA/interface tester I posted comments on the suggestions part of the website quite a while ago about how the use of font size & color would make life easier with Beersmith. Does not look like it has been considered as a lot of the fonts look the same for whether it is a field label, output text or input text.

That said, it is a big improvement over the previous one. Might have to give it a trial run when it comes out.

Glad to hear there is an OS X version now, back in the day I always wanted to use BeerSmith. Nowadays however, I an very comfortable with using BeerAlchemy (on OS X and iOS) and not liable to change.

PS hi chiller!

Glad to hear there is an OS X version now, back in the day I always wanted to use BeerSmith. Nowadays however, I an very comfortable with using BeerAlchemy (on OS X and iOS) and not liable to change.

PS hi chiller!

Hi Kai,

The dispatches tell me you are a very successful brewer these days. Are you still in the West or have you moved? Due to health issues I have lost contact with most of the Adelaide brew scene and now most of the names I don't recognise. Good actually - so many new brewers to meet.

When BS2 is released have a look at the Mac version it is very well done.

Steve

Everything I've seen mentioned is already part of beeralchemy. As another beer alchemy user not likely to change as it seems to be almost a clone for the interface

Hi Kai,

The dispatches tell me you are a very successful brewer these days. Are you still in the West or have you moved? Due to health issues I have lost contact with most of the Adelaide brew scene and now most of the names I don't recognise. Good actually - so many new brewers to meet.

When BS2 is released have a look at the Mac version it is very well done.

Steve

Your dispatches are a little behind, I've migrated east from littlle creatures to white rabbits.

No doubt I will have a play with BS2 when I find the time.

All the best,

Kai

I bought Beersmith pretty recently and remembered this thread - reminded me to look and see if I would get a freebie. Turns out if you bought it after 15 Feb 2011 you get a free key but you must apply by 31 July 2011 to get it.

Thought I would post in case someone else is in the same boat - application form is here.

Sweet a free upgrade for me after having to re buy it recently due to a pc meltdown and lost key.

I bought Beersmith pretty recently and remembered this thread - reminded me to look and see if I would get a freebie. Turns out if you bought it after 15 Feb 2011 you get a free key but you must apply by 31 July 2011 to get it.

Thought I would post in case someone else is in the same boat - application form is here.

Thanks Logman! I was in the same boat having recently bought V1.4 so this is good news... yay!

Everything is coming up Carlos!

Good to see Brad looking after his clients. I just pre ordered BS2, having brought BS 1.4 early last year he has offered all 1.4 users a discount for pre ordering. $16.95 US which was slightly cheaper with the good aussie dollar. :super:

Thanks logman, people who have had BS for some time also get a discounted price. $16.29 US

Latest posts

Back