Beersmith 2.3

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be a stupid question but can you reuse a licence/rego key across 2 PC's on a network, like the lappy in my brew shed and main PC in the house?

Anyone having problems with the mash pH predictor? Ive been using brewers friend in the past to guess my pH as i haven't got a meter.

I've read and tested that you need to have the water additions built into a water profile for the mash predictor to take them into consideration. Adding them directly into the recipe doesn't change anything unfortunately.

For a particular test recipe (5kg JW pils) using my clarence water profile, I've found that brewers friend estimates a mash pH of 5.42, while BS estimates 5.56. the required acid malt (from what I gather this is 3% lactic by weight for BF) to get to 5.2 is 110g using brewers friend, while beersmith estimates i need 280g.

I'm interested to know if others are noticing a difference between the two estimates, if not it may be more down to an input error on my part.

I noticed something like that.

Tried to get to the bottom of it all by checking it against EZ Water, Bru'n Water and BF, but quickly got frustrated and gave up.

I might try again before my next brew this weekend.

My version of BS is telling me there's an update available (presumably to 2.3) but when I tick the box for "upload in background" it dithers for a while then says "cannot connect to server".

ANyone know of a workaround for this?

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
My version of BS is telling me there's an update available (presumably to 2.3) but when I tick the box for "upload in background" it dithers for a while then says "cannot connect to server".

Mine is saying the same thing

Maybe a stupid comment/ question/observation (won't be my last) - but is it the 8th of August in Beersmith land yet? Is it based in America? Will a button need to be pushed at that end at 9am or something?

Edit: please read this in the general spirit it is intended rather than literally (i.e by cheesemakers I mean more broadly the manufacturers of dairy products etc)

Lyrebird_Cycles said:

Mine did the same thing earlier today when I started it up for today's brew day. I haven't bothered trying anything.. will see what it does tomorrow and Friday for the next two brew days. I'm in no rush though, the current one works well anyway.

Go to this page in Beersmith.

I clicked on Windows (Alt Download) and followed the prompts. Downloaded without any issues, had a quick look and there are quite a few changes.
13653490_1145849432139822_8003050457735549148_o.jpg

I'm also disappointed about the mash pH "predictor".
You'd think the best thing to do is have the tool automatically adjust/predict from any salts added in the design tab, but it doesn't.

Also had no luck downloading in background from the Beersmith program.
Just had to manually do it from the website (as mentioned by BDD).

Dan2 said:
I'm also disappointed about the mash pH "predictor".
You'd think the best thing to do is have the tool automatically adjust/predict from any salts added in the design tab, but it doesn't.

Also had no luck downloading in background from the Beersmith program.
Just had to manually do it from the website (as mentioned by BDD).
Also the mash pH predictor doesn't have the option of sulphuric acid for pH adjustment. Good thing Brewer's Friend does.

Black Devil Dog said:
It places a new icon on the desktop and if you click the old icon it opens up the old version.
After I downloaded (manually from website, because it wouldn't download via BeerSmith itself) it simply kept the old icon for me. So it won't open an old version as it has been replaced. I tripled checked after double clicking the icon that it had updated properly (and it had, to version 2.3.5)

PS-
I notice now that there have been another 2 minor updates since I did my update. It's now at version 2.3.7. (still won't download via BeerSmith software though).

Strange. Mine prompted me last week so i clicked ok and it did its thing just fine

Has anyone mucked around with the hop util/ no chill settings on Beersmith yet? Just updated and having a play with it now and interested to know other's experiences.

Has anyone mucked around with the hop util/ no chill settings on Beersmith yet? Just updated and having a play with it now and interested to know other's experiences.
I have beersmith 2 mobile app (Android)
Can not find no chill option anywhere!
Any ideas?
Brock

Back