Beergun Stainless Bottle Filler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a dual pressure regulator Slugger ?

Doc

Here is a really bad diagram.
It does involve an extra piece, but will do what you want.
The extra piece is a corny gas post connected to your gas line. The graphic doesn't show this entirely (just the gas post part, but not the bit that connects to the gas line) but I can take a picture of mine tonight if that would help. That way you can disconnect the gun when not in use.
You will need a length of gas line also.

Beers,
Doc

Edit: To clarify a bit better the corny gas post on the gas line.

BeerGunAssembly.jpg

Thanks doc.

So for my system I will need an extra t-piece where the 3rd part will be connected to a corny gas post which then connects the the gun when needed.

So all up I am going to need:

- More Gas Line
- Gas post
- Gas disconnect
- T piece
- more connectors

If you could post a pic tonight that would be great, so I have an understanding of how the gas post connects to the t-piece..

Thanx for this, not as simple as I first thought it might be.

Slugger,

The picture is basically how I have mine setup, except the gun gets gas from one output on my dual pressure reg, and the kegs gas connection is from the other output on the reg (via a gas manifold).
Will take a picture of the inline gas post connection tonight.

Beers,
Doc

sluggerdog said:
Thanks doc.

So for my system I will need an extra t-piece where the 3rd part will be connected to a corny gas post which then connects the the gun when needed.

- More Gas Line
- Gas post
- Gas disconnect
- T piece
- more connectors

If you could post a pic tonight that would be great, so I have an understanding of how the gas post connects to the t-piece..

[post="83407"][/post]​
Sluggerdog,

Let me know exactly what was needed in the end & I'll put in a letter of complaint. I'm amazed we haven't got everything needed for a standard set up...

Cheers Ross

will do ross, I won't know fully until I see doc's pic and start to play around with it myself.

Has no one else tried theirs out yet?

sluggerdog said:
will do ross, I won't know fully until I see doc's pic and start to play around with it myself.

Has no one else tried theirs out yet?
[post="83425"][/post]​

Mines still in its packet, & I'm off overseas tomorrow...

Here is a picture of the inline gas post I've got in my setup.

InlineGasPost_002__Large_.jpg

Now this is how I've got mine setup. This isn't to say there aren't other ways of doing it. It works well for me and makes it easy to connect the BeerGun when needed without disconnecting the gas line from the regulator and adding another dedicated filling gas configuration onto it.

Beers,
Doc

sluggerdog said:
Thanks doc.

- More Gas Line
- Gas post
- Gas disconnect
- T piece
- more connectors

[post="83407"][/post]​

The connection kit on Northernbrewer has both liquid and gas disconnects.. couldn't you just put one on each post of a carbonated keg, and use the head pressure for purging and to pump the beer?

Here's another idea.

I already have one gas / liquid disconnect outside my fridge for gassing up kegs. I have the T piece, and off that a bit of gas line that leads to a john-guest fitting. This then has a gas fitting, and also a liquid fitting that i change depending on need.

You could just use a similar idea and just plu

Doc said:
Here is a picture of the inline gas post I've got in my setup.

View attachment 4374

Now this is how I've got mine setup. This isn't to say there aren't other ways of doing it. It works well for me and makes it easy to connect the BeerGun when needed without disconnecting the gas line from the regulator and adding another dedicated filling gas configuration onto it.

Beers,
Doc
[post="83436"][/post]​

Hey doc, thanks again for this.

Where did you get those parts that connect the line to the gas post? Looks like a great way to do it? I noticed your t-piece is similar as well...

No probs.
I got the unit from my old HBS (Whats Brewing in Kogarah Sydney). Basically it is a gas post from a keg with external thread (like the old 20 litre ones) and a gass compression fitting for connecting to a gas regulator. The t-pieces are the old style too.

Beers
Doc

jgriffin said:
sluggerdog said:
Thanks doc.

- More Gas Line
- Gas post
- Gas disconnect
- T piece
- more connectors

[post="83407"][/post]​

The connection kit on Northernbrewer has both liquid and gas disconnects.. couldn't you just put one on each post of a carbonated keg, and use the head pressure for purging and to pump the beer?

Here's another idea.

I already have one gas / liquid disconnect outside my fridge for gassing up kegs. I have the T piece, and off that a bit of gas line that leads to a john-guest fitting. This then has a gas fitting, and also a liquid fitting that i change depending on need.

You could just use a similar idea and just plu
[post="83460"][/post]​

As John says, if you have two gas connects in your normal setup, you could put a john guest joiner in the line to one of them. Then just swap the gas line between the gun and the disconnect at the joiner. There has been some discussion in the US about the fittings provided not being adequate, but the point has been made that they cant predict how your setup works, its really up to you to get the gas to the gun.

That is how I set mine up, on a john guest t piece that I use for a car valve fitting. I have just tried it for the first time and it helps if you set up in reach of the reg, start with the pressure pretty low, and dial it up a little until you get a steady stream into the bottle. You also seem to need to purge the liquid line to waste for a bit, then fill the bottle straight away. My third one was pretty good, not too much headspace. Will crack it tomorrow and see if it has any gas.

Dunno what happened to the second half of my reply above, but a john guest fitting is a type of "push and that's it" fitting for tubing. You just push it in, and to get it out you need to push down on a flange. Hard to describe - check out their web page

http://www.johnguest.com/

jgriffin said:

[post="83460"][/post]​

I think this will be the easist way around it so I'll try this tomorrow and if this does not work I'll look into the john guest fittings.

Thanks again :party:

UPDATE:

I have just finished filling my first half of the xmas case (german pilsner) and this is how I used the gun.

Instead of what is suggested above I stepped up the above instructions (using the head space) and instead I used a spare keg.

So the gas went from the gun into an empty keg's liquid post and the gas post was connected to the gas bottle. As was the full keg and the brew came though.

this way I didn't have to re-fill the head space with gas.

Saying this, I'm not sure how well the who thing went, before I had the gun I was filling jugs from the keg then filling the bottles from the jug and today's effort with the gun produced the same amount of foam but in a lot less time...

Ross mentioned that brew with wheat or carapils will probably foam a lot more so maybe this was the case for me.

How did it come out sluggerdog?

I have a set up like yours... single regulator into a T piece. From the T piece the lines go to two gas disconnects for the 2 kegs in my fridge.

Not sure if my plans will work, so please let me know what you all think... Two options thus far... leaning towards option 2.

OPTION 1

I will buy another gas disconnect + clamp. I'd attach one end of the gas line to the gun and the other end to the new gas disconnect. Even if I have to cut off the steel nut on one end of the supplied line.

I will be bottling carbonated beer. So I am planning attaching the beer line of the gun to the beer connection on the keg. Then attaching the gas line of the gun to the gas connection on the keg.

Using the gas held within the keg I'm bottling from, I will fill the bottles until I run out of pressure. If I run out of pressure, I will reconnect the gas from the regulator to the keg and top it up. I will also purge the bottles with the gas contained in the keg I am bottling from.

Will that work?

OPTION 2

I disconnect the gass line running to the 2nd keg and attach it to the gas line to the gun. (it will require me to cut one end off the supplied gas line).

Option 1 will be fine for small batches, but option 2 will be better for bulk bottling. That is provided that it will work... will it?

Thanks in advance,
Jarrad

Thought I'd dig this one back up.

So, overall, were you all happy with the beer gun setup? On the whole how would you rate it against a good old fashioned counter-pressure filler?

Cheers :beer:

T.D. said:
Thought I'd dig this one back up.

So, overall, were you all happy with the beer gun setup? On the whole how would you rate it against a good old fashioned counter-pressure filler?

Cheers :beer:
[post="94571"][/post]​

TD, better late than never...

I was pretty disappointed to be honest, the system sounded great but I still had problems with foaming & found it easier to pour from the tap - Howerver, on a recent visit to Jye's brewery, I saw the great counter-pressure filler he designed & it suddenly dawned on me what the beergun was missing - a simple bung to enable you to hold pressure in the bottle being filled.
A quick visit to the homebrew store for an off the shelf bung has done the trick beautifully. It is now works great, you put pressure in the bottle with the gas trigger & just ease the bung off a bit to release pressure as required during filling...

beer_gun_001.jpg

beer_gun_002.jpg

cheers Ross...

Latest posts

Back