Beergun Stainless Bottle Filler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consignment on it's way over from the states as we speak - due here early October - So will look to finalise order soon....

If I'm not too late, I'd like to have one too... with the fittings

Put mine into action tonight.
Sterlised five bottles, the unit has been in sterlising solution since the weekend.
I first tried my HourGlassIPA but was getting lots of foam. Messed around with pressures etc but wasn't having much success. I put that down to a highly carbonated beer.
Next tried the Choc Porter. A bit better result, but still quite a bit of foaming. The bottles were all chilled. I maybe put that down to a full keg so any little change in gas pressure makes a bigger difference.
Will try again maybe over the long weekend.

Beers,
Doc

Thinking about this again this morning. I had the filler and the keg on the same gas line. The way the gun works is that there is a little gas flowing to it all the time.
Next time I'll try have the gun and the keg on different outputs on the regular and see how that goes.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Thinking about this again this morning. I had the filler and the keg on the same gas line. The way the gun works is that there is a little gas flowing to it all the time.
Next time I'll try have the gun and the keg on different outputs on the regular and see how that goes.

Beers,
Doc
[post="80065"][/post]​

Thanks for that Doc, will keep the order on hold until we get your next report - fingers crossed...

YEP, thanks doc for being our ginny pig. Fingers Crossed it's a great little tool.

Yeah,

I'm hopeing it isn't just a flash looking attacment that does the same job as a hose with a cork stopper...

Thanks for keeping us posted Doc

I bottled three 500ml bottles with it last night (as posted). I had actually sterlised 5 but the first two were disasters. I drunk the three when I got home from work tonight and they were almost flat. All the carbonation was pretty much lost in the transfer.

Tonight I filled three 500ml bottles in quick time. I had a little foaming at the start of each bottle but this was probably due to the bottles not being chilled and I had the pressure quite low to the keg so it took a few seconds for a steady stream of beer to flow through the line.
I've capped two of the bottles and put them in the fridge. The third I didn't cap and am drinking now. No really perception of loss of carbonation, so I think the unit will do the job.
I reckon one more round of practice and I'll be ready to use it to do my entry in the NSW Xmas case.

Initial perception rocky.
Current perception very good, with calm seas expected.

Naturally YMMV.

Beers,
Doc

i would have thought....and its just a thought......over carb buy jsut a little, and over chill, close to 0 deg, then slowly fill chilled bottles........

i did this with some plastic hoseon the end of a tap, and it worked quite well

That does work quite well Oz. The major difference is with the beer gun you are flooding the bottle with CO2 first to prevent oxidation. That will make the bottles last a lot longer.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
That does work quite well Oz. The major difference is with the beer gun you are flooding the bottle with CO2 first to prevent oxidation. That will make the bottles last a lot longer.

Beers,
Doc
[post="80280"][/post]​

So Doc, would you recommend these as a good buy? Just a little practice needed and thnigs should run smoothly?

I reckon on my next go with chilling the bottles I'll will have the process down pat.
Definitely a great unit especially at the bulk buy price.

Doc

Doc, I am just wondering. At the time of evaluating the Vent-matic faucets I noted the Northern Brewer was advocating the following:

"Another nice feature (used by a few brewpubs) is the ability to attach a 1/2" lenght of tubing to the nozzle and fill growlers or other long bottles without a counter-pressure filler."

Has this been tried yet?. If it works, than I thought there is no need for a bottle filler...Than again I could be barking up the wrong tree since I am not into kegging yet...

:chug:
PeterS....

The main issue using this method (and I haven't tried it with the Vent-Matics) is that you aren't flooding the bottle with CO2 first.
So yes it may give a good fill but you would want to consume the bottle withing a short time.
If you want to keep the bottles longer, or enter in comps then a pressure bottle filler is the way to go.

Beers,
Doc

Need to get order placed as limited stocks coming in.

Please confirm you are still interested, & if anyone else wants, please shout now:

Ross + fittings - confirmed
Sluggerdog + fittings - confirmed
Thunderlips + fittings - confirmed
Gulf Brewery + fittings - confirmed
Jazza Fish + Fittings - confirmed
Mothballs + fittings - confirmed
Gree Iguana + fittings ?
Sean + fittings - confirmed
Ozbrewer + fittings confirmed
J Griffen + fittings - confirmed
Apocrine + fittings - confirmed

Cheers...