Beerfest 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm .. bit of confusion here. We usually just follow the AABC guidelines, and I notice they where updated for the nationals in 2009.

The website actually has the 2008 guidelines loaded, even though it is labeled with 2009 in the link. I will check and get back to you.

At this stage we are going to stay with the 2008 guidelines. There are some differences with 2009, including Australian Wheat no longer listed in the AABC guidelines.

We will look at lining it up with the 2009 guidelines for the following Beerfest.

Just looked at the entry form.

What is the reason for asking how a beer is made, like full mash partial etc?

Should it not matter or is this so judges can tailor advice/comments?

Cheers,
Wade

To be honest I have no idea why we ask that on the entry form.

I know in the past there used to be categories that where exclusively for partial and kit beers so it might be more of a historical thing no one has questioned.

It will not effect the judging, as the only information the judges receive about the beer is an identification number, and the category and style to judge against.

Even the stewards who pour the beers to be judged do not know who's beer it is they are serving.

Hello WSC and all,

The way the beer is made is not important for judging but should
you win the contact details (address and email) are _very_ important.
Style and category are good too. We had one entry last year with
just the category, good thing it didn't win :)

I currently have only 1 beer to enter. I shall have to start brewing!
I was thinking of doing a hefeweizen should my brewery come up
to scratch soon. My temperature controlled fridge needs some
reassembly. Some new welded stands would be better than bricks
but it's not really overalls/welding weather at the moment.

Enough blathering from me. Bring on Beerfest 2010.

I currently have only 1 beer to enter. I shall have to start brewing!
I was thinking of doing a hefeweizen should my brewery come up
to scratch soon.

Enough blathering from me. Bring on Beerfest 2010.

Bring it on indeed ...

Weizen bock ( horribly over attenuated )

and

American Brown (with dismal US-05 non firing yeast)

already under way.

Now I just have to brew one that has a hope in hell of placing. :p

Hmmm. I'll have to dig deep and get a couple of brews done in the next month or so...

Andy

Have a new batch of porter that should be ready by then and maybe even a dubbel.

My first competition entry if it turns out ok. Independent feedback will be good.

I went along last year and judged on the Belgian flight. Had a great time and the friendliness of all those in attendance was great. Would love to attend again but not sure if the timing is going to suit. I do however have 3 entries ready, maybe more and look forward to the feedback as this will be my first competition.

i was just wondering with the categories, whether there is a specialty belgian category such as orval style beers (infected with brett and what not)?

cheers guys

i was just wondering with the categories, whether there is a specialty belgian category such as orval style beers (infected with brett and what not)?

cheers guys

Here are the sour Belgian styles that we cater for at Beerfest

Flanders Red Ale, Flanders Brown Ale, Straight (unblended) Lambic, Gueuze, Fruit Lambic

(under the Belgian Ale Category)

Which I think is all the sour Belgian BJCP styles. Not sure which one an Orval like beer would fit into ... my guess would be Straight (unblended) Lambic

Hey all,

For anyone planning on coming down to Beerfest for the weekend (or even just a day), a call for judges has now gone out.

It doesn't matter if you are a new or experienced judge - it is a great way to learn more about critically evaluating beer. Stewarding (serving beer to the judges) is also an important role in the event, so maybe you would like to help out in that area as well.

More details about judging are located here:

Beerfest call for judges

Cheers,

Brendo

Just a reminder that entries close 6/2 - not long to go now.

A preliminary judging roster has been posted on the beerfest site - still place available if you would like to have a crack at either judging or stewarding.

Cheers

Brendo

Just a reminder that entries close 6/2 - not long to go now.

A preliminary judging roster has been posted on the beerfest site - still place available if you would like to have a crack at either judging or stewarding.

Cheers

Brendo

Hey Brendo is it open to other states or just for Vics?

Brad

cheers guys

If you were entering it under the correct BJCP style, it would be a Belgian Specialty Ale. Beerfest does not have this category and I can't see it properly fitting into any of the other categories. The base beer is essentially a Belgian Pale Ale but the addition of Brettanomyces and the dry hopping take it outside of those guidelines. If it is brewed with more that just Brett so it could genuinely be a Lambie or Gueuze-style beer try one of those catregories. Just read the guidelines first.

Hey Brendo is it open to other states or just for Vics?

Brad

Hi Brad,

entries are open to anyone that can get their beers to one of the participating entry stores, including postal entries to Brewer's Den.

The Brewers Den, 253 Dorset Road, Boronia 3155

Cheers

Chris

Got a couple of beers I'm fairly happy with so I'll send them down and see how things work out.

Possibly dumb question but how are the beers served to judges? In particular I'm wondering about temperature and whether there's any way to suggest a beer is best served at x degrees etc.

Possibly dumb question but how are the beers served to judges? In particular I'm wondering about temperature and whether there's any way to suggest a beer is best served at x degrees etc.

beers are generally stored in a fridge - so they are pretty much all the same temp. Beers are then decantered into a jug by a steward for presentation to the judges. Depending on the style, a good judge will warm the sample up by cupping glass in hands if it is deemed necessary.

So while you don't get to tell the judges what temp to drink at, they will generally manually warm the sample to bring it up to the appropriate temp - and when we are talking about 100-200ml samples, I doesn't take long.

So rest easy mate - your porter won't get judged at an icy 2 degrees :eek:

Latest posts

Back