Beer that tastes better with yeast swirled thru

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perko8

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a pale ale kind of beer that is about 6 weeks in the bottle.

Recipe was a coopers lager can, 100g of steeped crystal, 1kg of ldme, Galaxy hops late in a boil.
Fermented at 18c, Cold crashed for 5 days before bottling.

It's tasted good from the first samples, but I tried it last night and rolled the bottle as I've read of some people doing to mix yeast thru with some pales.
Previously I've poured gently to not disturb the yeast at the bottom, as I've also read of some people doing...

It's tastes similar, just better, flavours seem more cohesive if that makes sense? No major yeasty bite though. Hard to explain as im still developing the vocabulary to describe flavours.

Has anyone else experienced this difference? Particular styles it suits and styles it doesn't?

We've become conditioned to drinking commercial filtered beer that is crystal clear but yeast is a good source of vitamin B.
You may have some undesirable consequences whilst your digestive system becomes accustomed to it and if you like the taste it then enjoy.
Hefeweizen beers in Germany can be unfiltered so still contain the yeast which is consumed with the beer.

Back in the 90's it was sacrilige to consume a Cooper's Sparkling or Pale Ale without tipping or rolling the bottle. Used to get a lot more variance in sediment quantity back then so could get a bit chewy at times.

perko8 said:
Hi guys.
I have a pale ale kind of beer that is about 6 weeks in the bottle.

Recipe was a coopers lager can, 100g of steeped crystal, 1kg of ldme, Galaxy hops late in a boil.
Fermented at 18c, Cold crashed for 5 days before bottling.

It's tasted good from the first samples, but I tried it last night and rolled the bottle as I've read of some people doing to mix yeast thru with some pales.
Previously I've poured gently to not disturb the yeast at the bottom, as I've also read of some people doing...

It's tastes similar, just better, flavours seem more cohesive if that makes sense? No major yeasty bite though. Hard to explain as im still developing the vocabulary to describe flavours.

Has anyone else experienced this difference? Particular styles it suits and styles it doesn't?
I've found it a rounding flavor. Many very nice craft drinks can be cloudy ales, cloudy ciders etc. There is flavor in the cloudyness and when filtered or Lagered out its also flavor out with it.
Its all about catagories I guess. Try one bottle gently clear, spin the next one, whatever.
One of the perks of bottle conditioned home brew. :chug:

Edit:
I've never thought that the yeast gives you the craps or farts?

Definitely Hefes, alot of yeast driven beers like belgians are better to me with a little bit of yeast through it

Poured as is or turned or rolled,being a South Aussie and using the Coopers marketing ploy ( as per bar mats with a measured distance on them ) I honestly am not bothered.
Gotta get the last drop out of the stubbie,bottle. Many have claimed it must be turned arse up three times blah blah, why? Just coz.
Personal choice is what beer comes down to.
Rolled,turned,ale ,lager,stout etc.....craft or non craft,ooh had to sneak that one in.
Choices are choices.

For kegs too yeah. I take care to not disturb a keg to get that WOW! Look at that clarity! Lagered for long time.
When giving that keg a shake could get a better flavor! hah.

I can't think of a single style I prefer mit hefe. Comes down to individual preference/palate. More flavour yes but is it flavour I like? No. Vegemite neither.

Yeah, not a fan of stirring up the yeast before pouring either. It's probably a bit psychological, but I find it seems to not only muddy the appearance (obviously), but also the flavour. I experience the same thing with chill hazed beers. Bright beers always seem to taste better to me, crisper, more refreshing, more appealing.

Besides, unless the beer is filtered there are still millions of yeast cells in suspension that you just can't see, so I don't figure I'm missing out on too much by leaving as much sediment behind as I can. ;)

Much room here for individual preferences. I'll cast my vote against swirling. even with Cooper's ales. I don;t like the way ilt alters the perception of bitterness. As for hefes I'll take a middle road. I like them unshaken and unstirred but either way better than Kristals. Maybe that's inconsistent, or maybe it's hitting the golden mean.

manticle said:
I can't think of a single style I prefer mit hefe. Comes down to individual preference/palate. More flavour yes but is it flavour I like? No. Vegemite neither.
Agree. Yeast is for fermenting wort, not drinking.

I don't like mixing, but I leave the last bit and drink it straight from the bottle to get a big yeast hit!

For me, the least yeast taste the better.

Is it just me or do the Coopers stubbies taste less yeasty than the longnecks? Maybe the yeast in the bigger bottles is more susceptible to being kicked up and redistributed in the beer.

I prefer coopers pale out of longnecks because it seems to have more sediment that when I shake up, gives a much better flavour.. I find stubbies to bitter and watery.. Each to their own though

Could the taste improvement just be the extra time in the bottle to mature? Usually what you've described is how beers change from green to drinkable, whether that's an extra month or 3

I haven't tasted too much difference. I don't roll or swirl just pour, last half of a tallie is quite murky.
still onlyprime with Coopers drops though, and most of my beers are quite cloudy unless using US-05 etc. My first Belgian golden ale with T-58 and S-33 is very cloudy and great taste. Farts are pretty rank too! Wife doesn't like it haha. Will start bulk priming into secondary soon and hope the farts decrease, for her sake!

When I was bottling my regular drinking beers were 6 to 8 weeks in the bottle ( stock build up and rotation) and the sediment would settle quite firmly. In addition I drink from a 600ml dimple mugs so hardly any in the first drink.
Cheers

Back