Beer taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy78

Reaction score
G'day legends!

What do you all recommend for beer taps to screw into a fridge door?

Has anyone used the eBay ones? Any good?

Also, I see some have flow control. Is this a better way to go? I've been legging for years however I just use a Pluto gun, I'm thinking I might try some taps!

Thanks

Jim

Before any one say google is your friend, this is the most recent link I could find. There are other threads that will be helpful but not specifically about taps. I have 7 taps and other bits and pieces. My newest are 2 Intertap SS taps that I am very happy with. Id recommend buying new as well. Google really is your friend though B) Depending on how much you want to spend Id say buy once and buy right. Go all stainless.

Edit : Do a bit of research as well to see exactly what you need. Measure the thickness of your fridge door and then do some research on homebrew shop websites and see what they have got. Check out the site sponsor links above.

I have 2 SS intertaps myself, I have one small gripe with them which is that the bonnet seal can leak a little if you have the tension low enough for the springs to work.

But for $45, simply cannot complain too much!

Just in case you hadn't realised, you will also need to purchase shanks, as they don't usually come with the taps. Get some nice stainless shanks, stay away from brass.

mstrelan said:
stay away from brass.
Why particularly so?

I bought cheap brass ones originally thinking maybe one day I'll upgrade, never felt the need, thus far.

i have only ever used perlick 650 Flow control taps so my review is obviously narrow, but they work perfectly and have zero drips when tap is shut.
FC also works great. they are obviously higher in the price range ($100+) but i find the build quality brilliant

damoninja said:
Why particularly so?

I bought cheap brass ones originally thinking maybe one day I'll upgrade, never felt the need, thus far.
"Brass is an alloy made primarily of copper and zinc with trace amounts of lead. Since brass is more porous than stainless steel, it could be highly susceptible to corrosion and leaching due to the carbonation and low pH of most beers."

Sauce: http://www.draughtquality.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/StainlessVsBrassTNB.pdf

Never used brass so don't know how much of an issue this is in the real world.

In my younger days I spent around 10 years as a bar keep, and got to use most taps. Perlics weren't around then but what I currently have(flow control). They are a pretty decent tap and easy to set up.

Keezer No.2. I just got the timber for the collar to move this build forward, for this one I am going to go with my favourite tap from when I was in the industry The Andale floryte, more work setting up, an carbonation will be key, but once set, they're a beautiful tap to use.

Note my perlics still work fantastically well and are a quality peice of kit, buy quality and they will outlast you.

Buy once cry once.

mstrelan said:
"Brass is an alloy made primarily of copper and zinc with trace amounts of lead. Since brass is more porous than stainless steel, it could be highly susceptible to corrosion and leaching due to the carbonation and low pH of most beers."

Sauce: http://www.draughtquality.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/StainlessVsBrassTNB.pdf

Never used brass so don't know how much of an issue this is in the real world.
Lol I know what bloody brass is

It's PC brass so so the brass itself never comes in contact with liquid, i mean it barely would anyway since it's just the shank.

If I were to do it again, I'd go SS though. Because why not?

damoninja said:
I have 2 SS intertaps myself, I have one small gripe with them which is that the bonnet seal can leak a little if you have the tension low enough for the springs to work.

But for $45, simply cannot complain too much!
I haven't been able to get the springs working but i didnt put much effort into it. Ive been using mine with the stout spout to pour a stout and a bitter.

damoninja said:
Why particularly so?

I have 3 brass shanks. One of them developed a fair bit of green on the inside after cleaning but that was because i had left it for a long time with perc or starsan on the inside. My fault. I got some ss shanks from Cheaky Peak. Partly for the stainless, in case i get lazy again, and partly for the better build quality.

damoninja said:
Lol I know what bloody brass is

It's PC brass so so the brass itself never comes in contact with liquid, i mean it barely would anyway since it's just the shank.

If I were to do it again, I'd go SS though. Because why not?
All my cheap chinese PC brass taps have always lost the PC after a few months

Your taps are only as good as your beer line set up and how well balanced your overall system is. If you have a great beer line then the tap itself doesn't really impact the pour very much. Quality will be noticeable primarily in the looks and material durability.

You can have the best taps in the world, but if you don't spend effort into your beer lines and balancing it'll pour like the worst tap in the world.

I honestly think the beer vs brass thing is overstated, particularly at cellar temps. That said I have all SS taps - because it's not beer damaging the brass that I'm worried about but the CIP fluids that I push through when cleaning the tap and line (caustic or no-rinse) which are far more aggressive.

sp0rk said:
All my cheap chinese PC brass taps have always lost the PC after a few months
All the PC brass gear I have is more or less as new, the taps I only used for maybe 3 months. I upgraded not because of the brass, but because they gummed up and became hard to pull after a few days of use without a real good clean... pain in the ass.

The PC brass shanks on the other hand are still on my tower, I keep saying I'll change them one day but as yet I've had no incentive.

My current keezer is only a 2 keg deal, one of these days I'll possibly sell it and upgrade to an upright instead, I'll put stainless shanks in that without a doubt.

klangers said:
Your taps are only as good as your beer line set up and how well balanced your overall system is. If you have a great beer line then the tap itself doesn't really impact the pour very much. Quality will be noticeable primarily in the looks and material durability.

You can have the best taps in the world, but if you don't spend effort into your beer lines and balancing it'll pour like the worst tap in the world.
I don't necessarily agree. This is the case with conventional taps, but a decent set of flow control taps eliminate the need to balance your system with beer line length and diameter.

I run 4 pelick flow control taps, and have between 90cm to 1.5m of beer line from keg to tap (depending on keg location in my fridge) and have no issues with pour quality at all. The flow restrictor built into the back of the tap does the work, not the beer line. I get a perfect pour every time and haven't had to fanny about with beer line length to get a decent pour.

I'd highly recommend the perlick FC taps. They're not cheap, but I go with the motto buy well, buy once. I've got long stainless steel shanks with John guest push fittings to connect my beer line to the tap.

JD.

lost at sea said:
i have only ever used perlick 650 Flow control taps so my review is obviously narrow, but they work perfectly and have zero drips when tap is shut.
FC also works great. they are obviously higher in the price range ($100+) but i find the build quality brilliant
Mine cost me $91 each I think, but that was a year and a half ago... time flies! I'm the same though, these are the only taps I've used but they have been very good. No leaks, once the foam from warmth fucks off they pour perfectly and are smooth to pull open and push closed. If at some point they need replacing I'd definitely get them again.

Back