Beer Tap - 7mm barb...5mm ID line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman86

Reaction score
Im just about to start kegging, got all my gear just waiting on the c02 bottle. While researching beer lines i dowloaded the xcel table which helps with determining the length and size. After receiving my tap ive come to realise the barb is 7mm, i was planning on using 5mm line as i would only need about 2m worth from keg to tap (6mm line will be 3.5m), but im not sure how the 5mm line will go on a 7mm barb. I can get it on there if i heat it enough but im worried about other factors ie flow, foam etc. Any opinions...

Boiling water and some pliers and a lot of swearing and it will get done. I have drilled the line out at times to help get it on the barb, but it is not really necessary. It shouldn't cause a problem with foaming unless you absolutely butcher it.

I'm no expert, but it would seem that the step between hose and bard shouldn't be too extreme.

Regarding 'getting it on' - I do have some experience :)

Use hot water, and some needle nose pliers or similar to stretch/flare the hose. Heat, stretch, heat again if necessary and put it on.

Nice thought with the hair dryer. I have just been through this myself. Only difference was my barbs (on my gas manifold) measured 8.5mm.. Still not sure how I am supposed to get 5mm line over that (though I did eventually). Not as secure as I would like as I can't get them the whole way and I certainly can't get the 5-8mm clips over it. Currently working out whether I can change all my fittings over for JG push fittings or not..

On the subject anyone ever changed a manifold over to JG. If so what fittings and where from. And does anyone know if the output on regulators are all the same..

Or heat it with boiling water and stick a pen up it to stretch it out

Had an issue with this awhile back and the kettle with the Long nose pliers did he job.

You set your kettle up next to your fridge/freezer and put the kettle on and take the lid off. It should just keep boiling and then you can shove your pliers straight in and give a little stretch on each side then quickly ram it on. You won't need the clips as the pip will cool and shrink pretty quick.

Ciderman said:
Hair dryer. Heaps quicker and easier than hot water.
Just be careful not to make the ends brittle by getting it too hot, with hot air.

I know when I first got my Kegerator years back, the retailer had used a heat gun to heat the lines in getting them on the barbs. They split and beer went everywhere.

Thanks guys, was pretty sure i could get it on the barb, was just worried bout the flow but sounds like it should work fine. Just for the record has anyone used 6mm line, seems crazy that you would need 3.5m of it

I use 6mm I.D., however, I have flow control taps and use less than a metre of beer line for each tap.

Not sure what my lines are but I'm guessing 5mm. I used to have 3m lines but it poured too much head when warm so I went to 5m lines. It poured very slow with the 5m lines however 3.5m does in no way seem like too much. I now have flow control taps so have shortened them again.

Wolfman86 said:
What do you mean 'when warm'.
When the tap/faucett is physically warm, any temperature other than the temperature of your beer basically.

If you arent aware of the physics of it, heres a quick run down. Other than the length/resistance in your 5/6/7mm tube or whatever, warm temperatures cause head. The warmer your beer or any liquid for that matter is, the less it will allow co2 to dissolve into solution. Therfore, when you pour that first beer when the faucet is warm, it warms your beer up and the co2 which used to be in solution bubbles out. Thats why pubs use flooded fonts to keep the taps cold so that they dont have this problem.

The reason I went to 5m lines before I bought flow control taps was because the extra resistance from the longer lines counteracted my taps being warm to some extent and I was able to pour a glass of beer without ending up with a full glass of head

I just wanted to vouch for the boiling water then long nose pliers strategy. Piece of piss.

Latest posts

Back