No flow through beer line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick88

Reaction score
G'day all.

I have recently switched to kegging and originally had a tap connected to a flow control adaptor. This went straight onto a disconnect.

To set up the flow I just closed the flow control adaptor off and then slowly opened until I had a good pour. This was at 10 PSI at about 2c in the keg roughly.

I have now moved the tap to the fridge door using a 100mm shank which is connected to the disconnect with 4mm line. I ditched the flow control adaptor.

I am running the same pressure as before but I am not getting very much flow through the tap.
I started the beer line at 3m and started cutting lengths off to get down to about a 10 second pour and a good head, however, I am all the way down to 1m and it still gets no head. No foam at all and still taking about 16 seconds to pour 425ml.

That seems strange as I was advised it should take about 1.5 to 2m of 4mm line to balance the system at 10PSI.

The online calculators say about 1.1m

Is the obvious answer to go up to 5mm line or could something else be the problem?

Could it be a problem with the plastic disconnect maybe? I was using a stainless steel one on the original setup but I don't have an MFL to barb adaptor for it.

Any ideas?

My guess would be a partial blockage somewhere else in the system. Distorted washer under a post? bit of hop matter lodged in a poppet? Dodgy dissconnect?

Thanks Koshari.

I'll grab an mfl to barb adaptor so I can use my stainless disconnect at smoko.

I'll also pull the post off and make sure it's clean.

Back