Beer Off-flavour Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
There's something I've noticed sometimes when drinking megaswill and I find it kind of interesting.

Every now and then when a bottle has obviously been miss-handled, ie it has been in and out of the fridge a few times changing in temperature up and down, or perhaps is just old, the beer takes on a totally different flavour.

It happened when I was drinking Hahn Super Dry at my dads place once. Super Dry is normally fairly crisp with little malt flavour. The beer I had tasted almost like honey-nougat. It had almost zero hop bitterness or flavour. It actually in some ways made the beer more pleasant to drink!

Then two weeks ago at a restaurant I ordered a Cascade Pale Ale (there was no good choices trust me) and the first one I had tasted the same as that Super dry. Honey sweet nougat malt flavour and not much else going on. The second and third one I had just tasted like normal Australian bland lager.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with skunking as the Cascade had a brown bottle.

Any other thoughts? Is this from being left in hot temperatures too long in the bottle? Is it from being in cold and then back in room temp, then cold again? Something else?

Latest posts

Back