Beer Line Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fnqbrew

Reaction score
I bought some new beer line, but I can't get it onto my black QD. The line is Valpar Flexmaster II 8mmx5mm. I've tried dunking the ends in hot (& boiling) water, but I can only get the line on about 2/3s at most. A couple of times I've pushed that hard that I've kinked the line. Either there's a trick to this that I don't know, or I have the wrong size line. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers!

Matt.

get bigger line dude. You'll lose your knuckles and patience quick smart

I bought some new beer line, but I can't get it onto my black QD. The line is Valpar Flexmaster II 8mmx5mm. I've tried dunking the ends in hot (& boiling) water, but I can only get the line on about 2/3s at most. A couple of times I've pushed that hard that I've kinked the line. Either there's a trick to this that I don't know, or I have the wrong size line. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers!

Matt.

There's no trick to it mate, just get john guest fittings!

Cheers!

Matt.

gday mate

Yes, there is a trick to it - heat your beerline in boiling water and then QUICKLY stick a pens pointy end in as far as you can to stretch the opening and it should slide straight on.

Sometimes I stick the line back into the hot water with the pen still inserted because the line cools down really quickly. Let us know how ya go

Mark

2/3 of the way is fine - that's as far as I can get mine. The beer is never under so much pressure that it will pop off anyway. If you're really concerned, just use beer line lamps.

- Snow

pointy nose pliers to pry it open after heating with boiling water. And dont forget the clamps

put the QD in a cup of hot water too or the cold QD will cool the hose as you push it on

JG fittings are the way to go, but they're not for everyone, the few disconnects that I have with barbs on them I used a heat gun to soften the line first. Breaky also makes a good point about opening up the end of the line.

If you are determined to get it on, use a hot air gun (paint stripper), this will get the tube hotter than boiling water, also a bit of keg lube on the barb.

It's the process of heating and stretching the end. My gas lines are all 8x5 and took a fair amount of work getting them onto the barb. Beer line is 10x6 and fit much easier.

I had the same problem.
Then I tried this which worked great.
Hold the end of the line over a candle while slowly rotating gets its nice and flexible.
Of course you dont want to burn it, just get it hot.
Then i stuck a tapered point into the end (sharp end of a pencil).
This widens it enough to slide onto the QD.
Then a bit of a push and its on.
If not, heat it up again (candle).
Hope that helps.

It's the process of heating and stretching the end. My gas lines are all 8x5 and took a fair amount of work getting them onto the barb. Beer line is 10x6 and fit much easier.
Just looking at the craftbrewer site and they do suggest 6mm line for QDs. I did mention to my LHBS that this was what I was doing when I bought the Valpar. :huh:

Anyway, I tried heating the barb too, and opening up the end with long nose pliers, but they didn't help much. The Valpar sure clings on, even at the small amount I was getting on. I couldn't pull the failures off the barb and was cutting them off. I ended up being happy with 2/3s and clamped it on there. I just went and cleaned and sterilised my kegs and ran them up to pressure with no troubles. Thanks everyone for your help. ^_^

FNQ as the others have suggested in future if you can stretch the budget that little bit further to get MFL disconnects and MFL - JG fittings your problems will be solved. I love mine! Even when I set dad up with a soda stream bottle and reg I got him JG disconnects. Barbs suck! I have enough trouble with the barb on the bottom of my micromatic regulator - If I knew I could change that to JG I would! The only other place I have barbs is on my picnic taps - though I dont relaly have a choice there

FNQ as the others have suggested in future if you can stretch the budget that little bit further to get MFL disconnects and MFL - JG fittings your problems will be solved. I love mine! Even when I set dad up with a soda stream bottle and reg I got him JG disconnects. Barbs suck! I have enough trouble with the barb on the bottom of my micromatic regulator - If I knew I could change that to JG I would! The only other place I have barbs is on my picnic taps - though I dont relaly have a choice there
Yeah, I was just looking at the MFL disconnects on craftbrewer. They look like what I need. Next time I get some kegs, I'll look at shouting myself a set or two. :)

My current set are from a 2nd hand keg system I bought last weekend. The guy had left some old beer in the kegs and beer line, as well as having the disconnects arse about. I'm just going through and freshening it all up. I'm learning some lessons along the way it seems. :D

Boiling water, and a few good stretches with the pointy nosed pliers gets mine on all the way every time. Takes a little bit of perseverance, but I find it holds the high pressure of the gas lines better than JGs in the long run anyway. Of course for the low pressure beer lines it makes no difference and JGs are far more convenient.

the good ole kitchen stove put it under the flame for a few secs push it in then under the flame again its easy but dont leave it too long on the flame or you will melt you hose

I can't see what I think is the most important tip besides warming the line in boiling water & that's putting a smear of lube on the barb, you'll find this makes all the difference in being able to push the line fully over the barb.

cheers Ross

I can't see what I think is the most important tip besides warming the line in boiling water & that's putting a smear of lube on the barb, you'll find this makes all the difference in being able to push the line fully over the barb.

cheers Ross
I'm another boiling water and lube guy :p .....gee that sounds dodgy.

Anyway - no probs ever since going with the two together.

PB

Latest posts

Back