Beer Is Not Gassy Yet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaka

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if leaving the fermented beer in the fermenter for say 13 days and then bottling would cause the beer to not be gassy? Its been in the bottles for 11 days now and I just checked one and its pretty flat.
I used toucan Homebrew draught with 3kg of sugar for a strong beer and also tried about 300g of Brown Sugar.
Og was 1.090 and FG was 1.016...whats everyones thoughts?

Hi all,

Just wondering if leaving the fermented beer in the fermenter for say 13 days and then bottling would cause the beer to not be gassy? Its been in the bottles for 11 days now and I just checked one and its pretty flat.
I used toucan Homebrew draught with 3kg of sugar for a strong beer and also tried about 300g of Brown Sugar.
Og was 1.090 and FG was 1.016...whats everyones thoughts?

Time in the fermenter is not going to affect how rapidly it carbs up.

Ideally, you want to keep the bottles at the same temperature you fermented for a few weeks to help it carb up - maybe your bottles are just too cold.

I wouldn't worry too much, see if you can warm them up a bit and leave them for a few more weeks - something this strong is definitely going to benefit from a bit of time to condition to smooth off the rough edges.

Cheers,

Brendo

Ok so I better leave it for maybe another month or so....its so hard to wait lol.
Thanks Brendo.

Ok so I better leave it for maybe another month or so....its so hard to wait lol.
Thanks Brendo.

I routinely leave mine about 6 weeks before i get into them - I just keep brewing and before you know it you will have a large stockpile and be spoilt for choice. It is only painful for the first bit... but worth the wait I reckon.

Quite amazing what a couple of months can do to some beers... I made a stout a while back which I thought was OK upon first tasting and with three months in the bottle is something I enjoy one hell of a lot.

Brendo

Was this using a kit yeast? I don't imagine 10% ABV is something they'd take lightly, so I'm guessing theres chance that they might struggle a bit to get through a bottle fermentation? But crack a bottle every couple weeks and see how she goes.

Yes I used both Kit Yeasts out of the Home Brand Draughts. I really hope this will turn out ok.

Maybe I missed it but you did add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle before you capped it, yes?

Home Brand Draughts. I really hope this will turn out ok.
I've never tried the homebrand stuff but I've heard that it's very average.
I've never tried a kit with straight sugar, or even dextrose, either.
I really must one day just to see what all the fuss is about.

I actually used the carbonation drops....2 for each longneck plastic bottle.
I only use the sugar sometimes when I'm low on cash but I think I'll start using Dextrose at the very least from now on.

I actually used the carbonation drops....2 for each longneck plastic bottle.
I only use the sugar sometimes when I'm low on cash but I think I'll start using Dextrose at the very least from now on.

I would highly recomend using malt extract or a blend of malt/dextrose (heavier on the malt). This will significantly improve your brew, giving it some body and flavour. All dex will do for you is produce alcohol - watery at that.

Just my 2c worth...

Brendo

I would highly recomend using malt extract or a blend of malt/dextrose (heavier on the malt). This will significantly improve your brew, giving it some body and flavour. All dex will do for you is produce alcohol - watery at that.

+ 1 for using malt instead of dex, although you will need to add some hops to balance. Extra cost? 1kg of dex $2 - $3, 1kg malt $7, difference of $4, hops 90gr $9 and will only generally need 15 - 30 gr per kit.

All worth the extra cost and effort.

My 2c

Cheers.

Somewhere on here I've read a rule of thumb of one week for every 10 points of OG,
so in the case for OG of 1090 leave in bottles for 9 weeks befor even considering opening.

My brews around 1050 and 1060 improve a lot in the 3rd and 4th month, so wait 17 weeks if you can.

Best way is to brew up a quick light ale and drink that while you wait.

Latest posts

Back