Beer Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfathisar

Reaction score
Anyone know a simple way to reinvigorate beer glasses? Mine are making my beer go flat :angry:

I use a curly pure stainless steel scrubber from the supermarket and a strong dishwashing liquid like Morning Fresh or ALDI Tandil and give them a good scrub inside, if necessary pushing the scrubber into the corners and working it around with the handle of a wooden spoon etc. Don't worry, the glasses can take it ;) As hot as your hands can stand.

Then about six vigorous rinses in cold water and dry with a fresh clean tea towel. It's amazing how much crud can build up in glasses. There is a school of thought that detergents should never come in contact with beer glasses - BS - I have been washing glasses like this for 30 years.

Aussie_Pale_2__Medium_.jpg

I use a curly pure stainless steel scrubber from the supermarket and a strong dishwashing liquid like Morning Fresh or ALDI Tandil and give them a good scrub inside, if necessary pushing the scrubber into the corners and working it around with the handle of a wooden spoon etc. Don't worry, the glasses can take it ;) As hot as your hands can stand.

Then about six vigorous rinses in cold water and dry with a fresh clean tea towel. It's amazing how much crud can build up in glasses. There is a school of thought that detergents should never come in contact with beer glasses - BS - I have been washing glasses like this for 30 years.

View attachment 44017
Is that a beer cappuccino?

Soak them in a sink full of hot water and a dishwasher tab. Detergent ( sorry Bribie ) is not a freind of beer glasses. Dishwasher tabs are alkaline and not a detergent, so will dissolve any oily films on the glass

Then rinse with a mixture of water and white vinegar.

Tandil is my friend :p

That one is an Aussie Pale Ale with a good whack of wheat, hence the head on it.

Sure glasses washed in detergent along with the brekkie plate and frying pan and the knife you rinded the bacon with and rinsed only once or twice will kill the head for sure, but the important thing is to strip everything out of the glass and just leave pure glass inside - which can include detergent, diswashing pills, Napisan and even caustic soda which is dangerous but can be bought specifically for glasses and beer lines from most catering suppliers.

I use the caustic soda solution beer line cleaner ( twenty bucks for a 5L container) for zapping my no chill plastic cubes, but haven't used for glasses yet as I value my skin and eyes :eek:

I use the caustic soda solution beer line cleaner ( twenty bucks for a 5L container) for zapping my no chill plastic cubes, but haven't used for glasses yet as I value my skin and eyes :eek:

:icon_offtopic:
Interested in the link to & details of your Caustic Soda solution Bribie.
Screwy has put me on the right track with his 2% caustic solution for cleaning the brewery. Can this be similar?

TP

There is a school of thought that detergents should never come in contact with beer glasses - BS - I have been washing glasses like this for 30 years.
+1

I put mine in the dishwasher with everything else - and never have a problem with flat beer.

I've heard the - don't use detergent line - this is untrue - you just need to make sure you rinse with clean <<oil and grease free>> hot water.

Oil and grease are your enemies.
Detergent that hasn't been washed off is also an enemy.

Allow to air dry - don't risk recontamination with a tea-towel.

:icon_offtopic:
Pete that Caustic Line cleaner I get from Northside Cleaning Supplies at Morayfield ( initially recommended by Sully bless his little heart and ar$ehole) and it's 20% caustic soda.
I can get you a 5L container for next time we meet, for around $20, but the guards on the train would have to kill you if you get sprung with it.

:ph34r:

mine have been thru the dishwasher a bazillion times and I thought that might have been what killed them but it shouldn't leave a residue
I'll give the water and vinegar a go and see if that helps
I do intend buying new glasses soon anyway and will be more careful about how I treat them

bi carb soda and white vinegar.. works well.

Nappisan.

Use with hot tap water, rinse with hot tap water a couple of times, then rinse another couple of times with cold tap water, then air dry.

Hey presto, instant Headmaster glasses..

Back