Beer Gas As Opposed To Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boagesmalone

Reaction score
Does anyone use BEER GAS as opposed to CO2? And what is the difference between the two.

Cheers
Boagesmalone

Is beer gas the same as cellar mix?

If so, its just a co2/nitrogen blend i think, not sure of ration something like 70/30?

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
I have found that BOC Cellamix55 was very slow and reluctant when it comes to force carbing. After doing the big shake, rattle and roll I kept the pre-cooled keg at 40 psi for about 2 days then reset the pressure to the high end of the usual dispensing pressure, about 20psi. This was using a comet 500 reg and a swingtap without a creamer. I found that the gas would not be absorbed into the beer as easily as straight co2, and the high dispensing pressure was needed to keep a good head on the beer. Things may be different with another reg and a creaming nozzle, but I went back to co2.
[post="47544"][/post]​

Vlad wrote this last year :)

boagesmalone said:
Does anyone use BEER GAS as opposed to CO2? And what is the difference between the two.

Cheers
Boagesmalone
[post="113810"][/post]​

Beergas is CO2 - There is NO difference - Beergas costs more though - use CO2.

cheers Ross...

Thanks Guys

Yes thats what I thought Ross when my mate first told me he was switching over to beer gas a week ago. Hes the sort of mate that will say its brilliant regardless of whether or not theres a difference. But hey... his a top mate and as long his beer tastes good and he keeps pouring them, Ill go long with anything his says.

Mind you, if I do notice a change for the better I'll be the first one to tell him.

Cheers
Boagesmalone

Off topic
Luv the hat Ross :D :blink: :p

Normell

hey ross...... you have no eyes.

You need eyes in a pic.

Turn on the flash mate :)

sorry for hijack

I have thought about the ber gas but with a 50/50 mix.

What was aid is true, Nitrogen is not readily absorbed into solution so a hightr pressure would be needed.

night as well just use Co2 and be done with it.

cheers

Hi I'm new here - first post....

I'm interested in a N2 mix for my stouts - is anyone mixing Co2 + N2 on the fly? It must be cheeper to just have a seperate bottle of nitrogen rather than pay for special mixes....

I was thinking that if i got a Nitrogen bottle + reg and a c02 bottle + reg and hooked them together with a t-peice... could you make a blend that way?

What was aid is true, Nitrogen is not readily absorbed into solution so a hightr pressure would be needed.

I was thinking that if i got a Nitrogen bottle + reg and a c02 bottle + reg and hooked them together with a t-peice... could you make a blend that way?

From what I understand N2 is not soluble in beer at all and is used just to drive the beer from keg to tap and make the thick creamy head associated with Gunness and Kilkenny etc. on served on tap.
I recently had an argument with a young kid seving at the bar of one of my local clubs as the Pint of Kilkenny he had just poured me was dead flat, he said I must be mad as it had a big creamy head on it, maybe so, however there was no gas dissolved in the beer at all. I have more dissolved CO2 in my cubes after a couple of weeks CC in the fridge.

Jono, In regard to trying to mix the gasses with a T piece etc, I am not sure that this will work too well you would probably need a gas distribution board that mixes the gasses, I have seen them from time to time on Ebay, they usually go for around 100 bucks.

Cheers
BradT

Brad T, N2 IS soluble in beer but requires around 350kpa to get it into solution. You also need CO2 to maintain some level of carbonation. I use Aligal 13 (70/30 N2/CO2) and have no problems gassing up. You do need to use a stout nozzle on your beer gun to force the N2 out of solution on dispense though.

Wes

Back