Beer Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewjohno

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my latest venture and call for some reponses and/or suggestions.

I have been home brewing on and off for over 10 years just using kits and recently got back into the swing of things with a Kegerator.

Saw these water filters that have been applied to home brew use and thought I'd give it a go.

I have run 2 brews through the system so far.

The first time I used a single filter of 1 micron absolute to run 45 litres through. The first 30 or so litres where sparkling and after that it gat a bit hazy as it appears the filter got too clogged.

The second batch I ran was a Tooheys Old type beer so hard to actually see the results on camera but when you hold it up to the light you can see the nice clear reddish black around the corners.

The 2nd setup I changed to using twin filters. The first is a 0.35 micron nominal filter and the second is the 1 micron absolute. Both are washable and re-usable.

My intention was that that 0.35m would act as a major sediment reducer aloowing the 1 micron absolute to do its work properly. It did seem to work quite well, still running around 43 litres through.

Each filter cost me $80 which included the housing and the 1 micron filter. They came with fairly basic connections so I removed them and for $16 per filter I purchased John Guest pushfits.

I connect an unfiltered keg up to gas and push at around 100-150psi, through the filters, into a clean keg. I push it down the product spout, not the gas, to minimise splash.

If anybody has had similar experiences or can offer me advice please respond.

Brewjohno

The single filter
P1010206.jpg

The Outcome from the single filter
P1010209.jpg

The twin filter system. Purging the airlock and filling the second filter.
P1010252.jpg

Once fully purged of air, invert to allow for maximum liquid contact with the filter
P1010255.jpg

Good effort first up Brewjohno. The picture of the two beers is a good shot for those thinking about filtering. Something that will help reduce your sediment in the filter is cooling the fermenter down as cold as you can before filtering, it causes less sediment to enter the housing and makes cleaning up a breeze. I do this and only need one filter, not two. :D

Just thought I'd share my latest venture and call for some reponses and/or suggestions.

I connect an unfiltered keg up to gas and push at around 100-150psi, through the filters, into a clean keg. I push it down the product spout, not the gas, to minimise splash.

If anybody has had similar experiences or can offer me advice please respond.

Brewjohno

The single filter
View attachment 42419

The Outcome from the single filter
View attachment 42418

The twin filter system. Purging the airlock and filling the second filter.
View attachment 42420

Once fully purged of air, invert to allow for maximum liquid contact with the filter
View attachment 42421

I hope you mean 10 to 15psi and not the 100 to 150 psi which in my experience would push past the seals or otherwise damage the filter once clogged!

Cheers

Hirns

I agree with Razz You need to give the filter as much help as possible , I have two filters and gravity filter only , I only use one filter per 20 liter batch

I find that I have great results with my pale beers but the darker beer can offer some extra problems

make sure you are not sucking in air in your system , I teflon tape the coarse thread on the filter lid to avoid that problem .

You are getting some great result Brew johhno people need to work on perfecting their filtering and not give up if it dont go right first time

Pumpy :)

I hope you mean 10 to 15psi and not the 100 to 150 psi which in my experience would push past the seals or otherwise damage the filter once clogged!

Sorry about that 100Kpa, not PSI.

The biggest learning curve for me was with filter quality and understanding nominal values versus absolute.

When I bought the 0.35 micron I thought it was a better filter than the 1 micron.

Turns out the 0.35 was the nominal filter and 1 micron was absolute.

I had to do some googling and discovered the complete opposite of what I thought. The 1 micron absolute filter is far superior and I had no need to go buy any other.

Brewjohno.

Latest posts

Back