Beef Steak, Whats Your Favourite?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourite steak is a fat and juicy one with good, even marbling.

Love rib eye, porterhouse, rump (easy to overcook) scotch, eye fillet etc.

Probably mainly a porterhouse and rump man - mainly due to affordability.

Resting and not overcooking are the two keys to making any cut a good one.

Yes Yes Yes. I couldnt agree more. Recently bought a whole rump of Black Angus, cut about 20 mm and the thin end left about 10 cm thick for a BBQ roast, absolutely brilliant with a creamy garlic sauce (couple of large green prawns occasionally) served with a nice glass of red. And yes must be med-rare. Ask any chef... well done WTF is that all about?????

Grass feed yearling beef rump, cut NO THINNER than 20-25mm, then on the BBQ grill so you get those nice chared lines..

And must be Med-Rare... :super:

Goes well with a nice Red... :beerbang:

Gotta say i had a great steak at Jade Buddha in Brisbane the other day, it was a wagyu strip lion (marble score 5+), and it was very nice the restuarant had a bit of that fusion cooking thing going on that i dont really understand. Proberbly the tenderest steak ive ever eaten. FYI Mondays they do a half price lunch, i cant comment on the beers because i didn't look (work function).

Enjoy J.

Dry Aged Bone-in Rib Eye...

You can always get a double rib eye... get your butcher to remove one of the bones ;)

If you use a tenderizer to flatten it out a bit... GIANT steak :)

aka, Cowboy Chop, or Beef Cutlet

I bought some of those 'sizzling steaks' from woolworths the other night. I normally think who would buy them but they were awesome for steak sandwhiches. 380 grams of them was $5 and it was exactly 9 thin steaks. I cooked them up and had them for lunch over 3 days, so 3 pieces of steak per sandwhich. I'm gunna do this all the time now, it beats ham and stuff like that on price and quality.

Oh and they cook in literally 2 minutes.

Porterhouse / Scotch

got some wagyu beef porterhouse the other week on special mmmm they were good

also eat a lot of Roo

Another vote for rib eye on the bone. I reckon we have one of the best butchers Australia wide, Mossman Butchering Co., just up the road. They sell a local grass fed rib eye which is between 40 - 50mm thick, 500gm, at $15 each. Hot sear, then bake in the oven at 180C for around 10 minutes. The knife just falls through it :icon_drool2:

sorry for OT but cray season has just started in Tas, reckon crayfish has got all the steaks in the world covered!!

sorry for OT but cray season has just started in Tas, reckon crayfish has got all the steaks in the world covered!!
Gotta agree with this - you can keep your beef - give me a fresh Tassie cray any time, like maybe Friday night, mmm, can't wait. If only I had a few Abs to go with it.
And Tassie beef is the best.

Went to the Carrington Inn in Bungendore on Saturday Evening and I had a 400gm (that's the minumum size, they serve up to 700gm) Bone on ribeye. It's locally raised angus and aged 21 days. It was more than I can eat.. so I ate it. Lovely stuff, you just can't beat Beef...

Wing rib chops no question, cooked over charcoal for the win. I actually prefer grass fed to grain and tbh none of the wagyu I've tried has impressed me that much.

argghhh!!!! STOP IT... 2 and a half hours out from lunch <_<

:icon_cheers:

Slow cooked rib fillet FTW... when i was a kid used to have scotch fillet 5 times a week with 3 veg... fish and chips on friday night... roast lamb on sunday.

dad = 6' 1" 105kg
brother = 6' 2" 98kg
me = 6' 6" 110kg
mum = 5' 4" 50kg

lots of steak :icon_drool2:

Tasmanian local beef?

hehehehhe

Grain fed is shit. They r meant to eat grass etc not grain. Feed Grain is cheaper. Anyways... A good scotch if just plain. Rib eye u need a lot of extra to keep it moist ie tge old bacon wrap. All time fav which the old man and me make once every 2 years is a chateaubriand is baby veg. Get out the larding needle and go to work. Seriously if u and ur missus like steak, find a good place preorder a week in advance and make a romantic evening. Cheese souffle for entree and a maybe a light coffeebean panacotta or something for desert. Arrggghhh!!!!

IMAG1146.jpgRolled this boy today....just cant decide which cut to start with.. in a fortnight :)

Muzduk said:
Yep, shes a big "fry" chillin in the coolroom , tail etc as well.. Always good to get the bits you don't get back when they go to the abs
Reminds me of a neighbour of mine who got a couple of ab workers to butcher one of her cows off-farm. They returned the next day with the sausages and said the meat was still hanging? :blink: When she got the cuts they all had yellow fat like a Jersey's. Worst still they just freezer bagged them and she threw them all into the chest freezer together. She had to use a splitter to separate them. :lol:
We always had our cows hung on-farm so you knew it was your cow you were eating. Whatever you do Muzduk, avoid the rib-eye and eye fillets. Not fit for human consumption. Send them my way and it'll feed my dog for a couple of days. ;)

You funny Camo, :lol: Yeah we actually used to kill a barren Jersey heifer for meat, the yellow fat isn't acceptable in the shops anymore but all the old blokes swore by it, still you should get your own no matter what.. Last time we did a beast this size (bout 520 kg) we had some ribeyes that nearly went a kilo.. We mini roasted them..mmmmmm

:icon_drool2: I miss farm life!

Latest posts

Back