Beef Steak, Whats Your Favourite?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Grimmer

Reaction score
I just had a rib in the bone for dinner, its the first I've had in a long time and i had forgotten how good they were. I reckon i would rate it as my favourite steak. What's your favourite?

J

Rib Eye. Not that budget crap in the supermarkets. Buy in bulk from butcher ( maybe 5 at Super Butcher get cheeky and ask for better deal for 5), butcher at home into roasts and smaller pieces and freeze. Season and sear on all sides and in to oven for about 15 mins. Nice pink and tender. Rest for 5 mins and do what you like with it from standard roasts to best hamburgers if sliced.

+1 Rib Eye Bone in hard to top, I do also like a good T-Bone, Porterhouse, Fillet. Ah shit their all bloody good.
Come on summer, BBQ's & Beef :icon_drool2: :icon_cheers:

I like Scotch Fillet. MUST have a nice marble of fat through it though. Fat = Flavour.

Ribeye on the bone for me. When you get a good one that is so good that even the fat tastes great you know you're onto a winner.

I've sort of noticed that in Sydney anything with Ribeye in its name is going to be great but sometimes in Brisbane you get shafted and given something much less spectacular and without the nice round shape.

I'm a big fan of the humble rump. Rib eye and the fancy ones are nice but I still reckon you can't beat rump for flavour and cooked properly its tender as.

Cheers
Dave

pet hate, going to a butcher and seeing ribeye 5$ more per kg than Scotch fillet when its the same damn cut with damn bone weight being paid for by the customer. <_<

ribeye, scotch. both are nom nom nom for me! There is something about the flavour on the bone though. :beerbang:

I love most steaks, but I'm really not a fan at all of Rump, I just don't like the unusual flavour it has compared to other steaks.
My favourite is probably Fillet, done on the grill on the BBQ, about 3 min a side on high. Medium rare to Rare Medium Rare. Some mustard or bearnaise on the side, beautiful.
Had a great steak while away in the Hunter Valley a couple of months ago, a Dry Aged Porterhouse steak. Beautifully tender, and very intensely flavourful.

As an aside, I cooked a leg of lamb last Sunday on the Weber, 5 hours at 130C. The meat just fell away from the bone, tender as could be, and it tasted divine.

Mmmm dead cow......mmmmmm

I don't care how
Just give me dead cow.

:icon_cheers:

Scotch fillet YUM.
Been buying budget T-bones from IGA lately and are suprisingly good. I usually buy from the butcher but saw a 3 pack in the IGA fridge and thought bugger it if they are sh!t I wont buy them again but they were good quality.

Depends what you are cooking really - Scotch Fillet on the Barbeque, rack of rib eye in the wood fired oven, beef ossobuco with stout slow braised, Tex Mex marinated briskett , blade or chuck steak roganjosh, beef ribs slow braised in red wine.... they are all bloody good! Oh and real proper beef snags!!

My wife loves her porter house.

Kids love their beef mince.

Depends what you are cooking really - Scotch Fillet on the Barbeque, rack of rib eye in the wood fired oven, beef ossobuco with stout slow braised, Tex Mex marinated briskett , blade or chuck steak roganjosh, beef ribs slow braised in red wine.... they are all bloody good! Oh and real proper beef snags!!

My wife loves her porter house.

Kids love their beef mince.

argghhh!!!! STOP IT... 2 and a half hours out from lunch <_<

:icon_cheers:

Slow cooked rib fillet FTW... when i was a kid used to have scotch fillet 5 times a week with 3 veg... fish and chips on friday night... roast lamb on sunday.

dad = 6' 1" 105kg
brother = 6' 2" 98kg
me = 6' 6" 110kg
mum = 5' 4" 50kg

lots of steak :icon_drool2:

I'm a big fan of the humble rump. Rib eye and the fancy ones are nice but I still reckon you can't beat rump for flavour and cooked properly its tender as.

Cheers
Dave

+1 to above quote, can't beat rump that is cooked to perfection with a bit of salt and pepper :icon_drool2: oh and of course with a nice beer :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Grass feed yearling beef rump, cut NO THINNER than 20-25mm, then on the BBQ grill so you get those nice chared lines..

And must be Med-Rare... :super:

Goes well with a nice Red... :beerbang:

I love rib eye as well but recently I had a rump steak from a 1/2Wagyu 1/2 Angus beast hmmm brilliant. Marbling wasn't up to the Japanese quality but man was it good. Even the corned beef was amazing.
Lucky enough to have home grown grass fed, home butchered and well hung yearling Angus at the moment takes some beating. All the cuts are way better than stuff bought at the supermarket that come of a beast that has only been hung for 2 minutes.
NW Tas home of the best beef!!
Chris

Got inspired so we had scotch fillet tonight. Pan fried in a little oil, salt and pepper and finished off with some worcestershire sauce.

Very tasty.

pet hate, going to a butcher and seeing ribeye 5$ more per kg than Scotch fillet when its the same damn cut with damn bone weight being paid for by the customer. <_<

ribeye, scotch. both are nom nom nom for me! There is something about the flavour on the bone though. :beerbang:

Speaking of that, it shits me no end paying $12 per kg for american style ribs, the are mostly bone FFS! Favourite in our house is an eye fillet with a rich dianne sauce.

-Browndog

Back