Beef Curry And Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
Hey Guy's

Got a recipe for you to try out if you like curry...
1kg stewing beef
3-4 tsb oil or ghee
2 onions
2 gloves garlic
1 tsb grnd turmeric
2 tsb grnd Cumin
1 tsb grnd coriander
pinch grnd clove
pinch grnd cinnamon
half tsb chili powder
whole red chili
500ml Beer ( Darker the better)
2 tsb sugar

cut the beef into 2-3 cm cubes, trimming of the fat, then fry in the frying pan with a little oil or ghee.
Remove meat and put into a casserole dish.
Add reminder of ghee or oil, fry onions until tender ( About 5-8 Min's on med) Add garlic and spices and cook on low for 2- Min's. Add beer and the sugar, mix the ingredient until combined into a nice dark looking gravy. add a little salt and a tbl tomatoe sauce (the weapon)... cook in a mod oven (180c) or top of the stove for 2-3 hrs. serve with rice.
Enjoy...
if you like curry i have more recipe's

Hey Guy's

1kg stewing beef
3-4 tsb oil or ghee
2 onions
2 gloves garlic
1 tsb grnd turmeric
2 tsb grnd Cumin
1 tsb grnd coriander
pinch grnd clove
pinch grnd cinnamon
half tsb chili powder
whole red chili
500ml Beer ( Darker the better)
2 tsb sugar

cut the beef into 2-3 cm cubes, trimming of the fat, then fry in the frying pan with a little oil or ghee.
Remove meat and put into a casserole dish.
Add reminder of ghee or oil, fry onions until tender ( About 5-8 Min's on med) Add garlic and spices and cook on low for 2- Min's. Add beer and the sugar, mix the ingredient until combined into a nice dark looking gravy. add a little salt and a tbl tomatoe sauce (the weapon)... cook in a mod oven (180c) or top of the stove for 2-3 hrs. serve with rice.
Enjoy...
if you like curry i have more recipe's

Sounds good the only thing a little frustrating for me is the beer recommendation? Darker the better is good but saying what beer you used would be a good start, and perhaps some notes on how it affected the flavour of the curry.

I love using beer in food and I reckon yes (if you have to) just put what ever beer you have into a dish but I am really interested in people getting a bit more serious about how they use beer in food and therefore how they really consider the flavours in beer and what they give/add to a dish.

I do a chicken dish that is slow braised with olives. I first did it with chimay blue which was good, then tried chimay white which was no good as it brought too mush bitterness to the dish I have now settle on Saison Du Pont or Bridge road brewers Saison as the beer that works best with this dish.

so you say darker the better but how would a dunkel wisen go or a german bock or a porter or an imperial stout??? Lots of difference in those beers....

so what did you use?

Merc...

I have a question for you...

Im planning on doing a risotto with Asparagus, blood sausage, topped with scallops... I was thinking of using beer instead of wine. I have a IPA, hopped with pride and galaxy on tap. Or do you think it would work better with something like a porter?

I love some of the recipes in Beer and Brewer and have made quite a few of them. There is a lamb shanks in ESB which I come back to again and again :icon_drool2: Hmmmm probably could have made that for Sundays brewday.... next time.

Sounds good the only thing a little frustrating for me is the beer recommendation? Darker the better is good but saying what beer you used would be a good start, and perhaps some notes on how it affected the flavour of the curry.

I love using beer in food and I reckon yes (if you have to) just put what ever beer you have into a dish but I am really interested in people getting a bit more serious about how they use beer in food and therefore how they really consider the flavours in beer and what they give/add to a dish.

I do a chicken dish that is slow braised with olives. I first did it with chimay blue which was good, then tried chimay white which was no good as it brought too mush bitterness to the dish I have now settle on Saison Du Pont or Bridge road brewers Saison as the beer that works best with this dish.

so you say darker the better but how would a dunkel wisen go or a german bock or a porter or an imperial stout??? Lots of difference in those beers....

so what did you use?
Well I'm not an expert chef but do like cooking. My knowlege of beer is not vast but find it interesting all the same.
I used Piraat as I find it a nice heavy beer with lots of Aroma and a deep to even woody taste.
It did turn the curry into a unique flavour (i'm a bit of a curry nut).
If a was to do this again i would like to use a different style to find out the change in flavour(any idea's)...

Merc...

I have a question for you...

Im planning on doing a risotto with Asparagus, blood sausage, topped with scallops... I was thinking of using beer instead of wine. I have a IPA, hopped with pride and galaxy on tap. Or do you think it would work better with something like a porter?

Sorry to take so long getting back to you katie I have been away (Perth Beer Awards) and have only looked at the site today.

Risotto sounds great and you have probably made it so I would love top hear what you ended up using, why and what the reslut was.

Did you use chicken stock or vegetable stock. Either beer would be fine - the IPA will be adding citris, resinous, passionfruit etc and depending on ibu's could contribute a bitter bite to the aldente rice which would be balanced by the blood sausage and asparagus but may overpaower the scallop - unless it is seared in a hot pan in oil which will char it and give a caramel/burnt bite which should complement the bitterness.

The Porter would combine well with the sweetness and depth of flavour the blood sausage will give, the roast coffee/chocolate character will add a depth to the whole dish and if you finish the dish by searing the scallop in a hot pan with a little oil then the caramelisation of the scallop will also combine with the caramel in the beer.

I normally do my seafood risotto with wheat beer.

Rik nothing beats a big Belgian in a curry - I reckon it would have been magnificant.

I tend to steer away from using bitter beers in my cooking, i do like german wheats or a helles nice low ibu with a good malt hit, i find coopersPA is great also with lamb, fruit notes work great with juniper berry, rosemary and thyme. I don't know if i could bring myself to use a belgian though.

For me cooking with a Belgian would involve drinking said belgian while i cook the meal. I enjoy them alot so it would take a serious amount of arm bending to get me to add it to a meal.

That said though, mussels cooked in CPA is um... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:
(it's the reicpe from BYO Stone Brewery edition, just sub the clams for mussels and CPA instead of their Arrogant *******)

Cheers SJ

For me cooking with a Belgian would involve drinking said belgian while i cook the meal. I enjoy them alot so it would take a serious amount of arm bending to get me to add it to a meal.

That said though, mussels cooked in CPA is um... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:
(it's the reicpe from BYO Stone Brewery edition, just sub the clams for mussels and CPA instead of their Arrogant *******)

Cheers SJ

yep mussles in beer are amazing, sweat in butter and olve oil some ginger, garlic, chilli and shallots and lime rind, add mussels to pot, pour in beer, i used a HB ESB with shit loads of NZ styrians, steam untill they open, add lime juice and a handfull of torn corriander. Serve with crusty beer sourdough. I'm in heaven.

The thing with the Belgian beers is that they are big, brassy and have LOTS of flavour and for that reason they are great to use in your cooking. As I mentioned above some times finding the right one for a dish is trial and error - chimay white threw a real bitter bite to my chicken dish but chimay blue didnt etc Imagine slow cooked beef ribs in Chimay Blue.......actually I am not going to imagine that I am going to cook it!

Any way the fact they are big beers with high alcohol means they do offer alot in terms of food not just just as marinades but as replacements for stock and of course lots of possibilities for sauces both savoury and sweet. yes the possibilities are endless!

Sorry to take so long getting back to you katie I have been away (Perth Beer Awards) and have only looked at the site today.

Risotto sounds great and you have probably made it so I would love top hear what you ended up using, why and what the reslut was.

Did you use chicken stock or vegetable stock. Either beer would be fine - the IPA will be adding citris, resinous, passionfruit etc and depending on ibu's could contribute a bitter bite to the aldente rice which would be balanced by the blood sausage and asparagus but may overpaower the scallop - unless it is seared in a hot pan in oil which will char it and give a caramel/burnt bite which should complement the bitterness.

The Porter would combine well with the sweetness and depth of flavour the blood sausage will give, the roast coffee/chocolate character will add a depth to the whole dish and if you finish the dish by searing the scallop in a hot pan with a little oil then the caramelisation of the scallop will also combine with the caramel in the beer.

I normally do my seafood risotto with wheat beer.

Rik nothing beats a big Belgian in a curry - I reckon it would have been magnificant.

No worries Merc, it was great meeting you at the exhib in Perth! I hope you had a good time as we all did. Some great beer on that day.

I have not cooked the risotto yet now Im even more confused maybe Ill have to do both. I will be searing the scallops and placing them on top. And the blood sausage will be added probably the last ten minutes. Ill post pictures when its done. YUMMY! It has stemmed from always wanting to do the classic Spanish tapas dish with the seared scallop on top of the black pudding. Im lucky to have Elmars not to far from me so Ill be able to source some good blood sausage Im thinking. He only uses female pigs.

Beetroot and red wine risotto next.

Sorry Rik for the hijack.

Cheers

I made this on Sunday; used my SMaSH IPA (Green Bullet, home-roasted JW Pils. Not a particularly dark beer, but it worked well IMHO), added some diced potatoes, and put it through the slow cooker for 10 hours.

Yum! :icon_drool2:

Cheers for the recipe!

The thing with the Belgian beers is that they are big, brassy and have LOTS of flavour and for that reason they are great to use in your cooking. As I mentioned above some times finding the right one for a dish is trial and error - chimay white threw a real bitter bite to my chicken dish but chimay blue didnt etc Imagine slow cooked beef ribs in Chimay Blue.......actually I am not going to imagine that I am going to cook it!

Any way the fact they are big beers with high alcohol means they do offer alot in terms of food not just just as marinades but as replacements for stock and of course lots of possibilities for sauces both savoury and sweet. yes the possibilities are endless!

Merc, i saw the thing with the goose breast and kreik the other week, how'd that end up working?? I'd like to try a sweetish muscat type beer with some duck.

Merc, i saw the thing with the goose breast and kreik the other week, how'd that end up working?? I'd like to try a sweetish muscat type beer with some duck.

Duck, goose, rabbit slow cooked with Kriek Lambic (and other bits and pieces) turns out delicious!! Do it.

excellent, my mates bringing me some rabbit this weekend. Hopefully do it during the week.

Have you got the recipe up anywhere?

excellent, my mates bringing me some rabbit this weekend. Hopefully do it during the week.

Have you got the recipe up anywhere?

You could use the recipe for the goose but use rabbit instead - just remember that there is plenty of fat in goose and none in rabbit so you could add some pork fat just to help with moisture and flavour. Recipe below is from my book Mercurio's Menu The Cook Book - out in November for Xmas $34.95

Slow Braised Goose in Cherry Beer

4 Goose Marylands (or duck)
1 tsp coriander powder
tsp crushed black pepper
tsp all spice
1 tsp thyme powder
tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

Wash and then pat dry the goose or duck legs then trim them of excess skin and fat trying to remove as much fat as possible but not too much skin. Rub the mixed dry spices well into each of the Marylands. Leave in the fridge over night the longer you leave them with the rub on the more flavour it will impart.

1 bottle of Kriek Lambic see note
1cup of chicken stock
8 eschellots peeled and cut into 1/3 rds
Salt and pepper
1 jar of sour pitted cherries

Brown goose or duck skin side down first in a hot non stick fry pan you will not need any oil as the goose will release plenty. Once skin is brown and crisp turn and brown the other side. Remove from pan and keep warm. Discard fat but keep a couple of tbls brown the onions in the hot oil for a couple of minutes then add the bottle of Kriek and the chicken stock. Reduce this down by about a 1/3 rd. Season with salt and pepper

Place goose in an oven proof dish preferably a heavy one where the meat will fit snuggly and then pour over the braising liquid and onions. Cover with baking paper and a tight fitting lid and bake in the oven at around 160 for 1 - 2 hours. Turn the goose or duck after an hour. Check that the liquid is not bubbling too hard as you just want it to be gently simmering. Once the goose/duck is pull apart tender remove from the liquid carefully and put on a baking tray and roast in a hot oven for 6 or 7 minutes to crisp up the outside.

Sauce place the braising pan with the onions and juice on the stove, if there is a lot of fat carefully skim it off. On a gentle heat add some of the cherry juice the amount depends on how much liquid is left in the pan but lets say about to one cup. Also throw in about a a cup of the cherries. Bring the heat up and reduce the sauce all the time scrapping the bottom of the pan to get any cooked bits off the pan and into the sauce. Once it is reduced to your liking check for seasoning and it is ready.

Serve with polenta and steamed bok choy, greens beans or braised red cabbage. Drizzle the sauce around the plate and over the meat.

Note Lambic is a special beer that is made in Belgium that is fairly well available here. Once the beer has finished fermenting sour cherries are added and the beer undergoes a second fermentation. The cherries add colour, some sweetness and also a sourness that makes the beer quite complex and delicious. It comes in small champagne bottles complete with a cork. Lindemans is probably the most widely available here but other brands include Morte Subite, Timmermans and Bellevue. Other flavours include Framboise (raspberry) casis and peach.

Or you could do this one and just use the Kriek instead of the Coopers

RABBIT AND STOUT CASSEROLE

1 white farmed rabbit cut into six segments
fresh sage and rosemary
leeks - sliced thick
carrots - sliced thick
2 tbsp plain flour
2\3 cup coopers stout (voted Australias best beer)
2\3 cup water
3 bay leaves
1 cup of prunes
oil for browning rabbit - my favourite is Colavita extra virgin first cold pressed

Heat oil in thick based pan and sweat leeks and carrots then remove from pan. Bown rabbit pieces with the herbs and remove from pan. Add flour cook for two minutes stirring and scraping vigorously. Add water and again stir and scrape vigorously until sauce thickens. Add beer and bay leaves stir through to combine and then add half the leeks and carrots followed by all of the rabbit and then the rest of the vegetables. Put casserole dish in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 40 minutes. Add prunes and cook for a further 40 minutes or until cooked. Be careful not to over cook or the rabbit will get dry. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes, snake beans and a large glass of Coopers Stout.

Garlic Mash: Boil potatoes and drain. Crush several cloves of garlic and put in bowl with butter. Heat in microwave until butter is melted. Add this to potatoes with milk and mash.

My mother in law thought I cooked this for too long but when I made it for her she thought it was fine. You could cook it a little slower say 160 normal oven or 145 fan forced for the same time but as I have written it is how I cook it.

This is not in my cook book.

Justy to get it back on topic of beer and curry here is the one I do - you can use lamb or beef what ever takes you fancy:

Beef and Beer Curry

Peanut oil
1 spanish onion
fresh ginger 1-2 tsp chopped
fresh garlic 2-3 cloves minced
turmeric 1-2 tsp
cardamom seeds - 1 tsp
lemon grass 1 tsp
red curry paste 2tbsp
beef 4cm square diced of what ever cut you want 600g
plain yoghurt cup or so
beer 1 cup Coopers Vintage Ale or strong brewed ale i.e. Chimay, Duvel etc
finely sliced red chillie
fresh coriander chopped
potatoes - 3 cubed thick
snow peas and sugar snap peas (or whatever greens you want)

Cook sliced onion in peanut oil until lightly caramelized, add ginger and garlic and cook, then add spices and stir through and cook. Add red curry paste and cook till fragrant. Add beef and stir coating thoroughly, add yoghurt mix through and bring to simmer then add cup of beer bring back to simmer.

Put into slow oven covered casserole dish, about 160f for - of an hour. Add part cooked potatoes, chopped chillie and some coriander return to oven for another 20 min 30mins. Add part cooked greens cook a further 10 mins and serve.

Garnish with some fresh chopped coriander and some extra sliced chillie

Put into slow oven covered casserole dish, about 160f for - of an hour. Add part cooked potatoes, chopped chillie and some coriander return to oven for another 20 min – 30mins. Add part cooked greens cook a further 10 mins and serve.
Did you mean 160*C by any chance? 160*F is only ~70*C, which i wouldn't think to be hot enough

Rob.

Latest posts

Back