Becks Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1149913

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm looking to do a becks clone. I'll probably use 4.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.0 EBC) Grain 100.0 % as my base and the top up with DME/Dextrose if my brewhouse efficiency is down. I'll use hallertau hops for bittering and mild flavour but what i'm really after is that honey flavour you get with the becks import.

Is there any hints/tips on how i can get that prominant honey flavour?

Thanks, jacob

If you make an incredibly fine lager, then ship it half way round the world so it can stale a bit, you should see that Honey note coming through.
It really is an age fault sorry.
Tho a bit of Melanodin and some Carapillis can throw some similar flavours and might be worth a shot, try about 10% of each, if you really like the honey note brewing an Ale rather than a Lager and encouraging a bit of Diacetyl can accentuate the honey note.
MHB

i have made an awsome Becks clone........... and its simple.

Firstly ........... if you use Dextrose in it i will hunt you down and bitch slap you :)............ DONT!

Now that thats out of the way, Just use 100% Weyermann Pils. The honey flavour you speak of is probably a poor description of the different flavour found in the genuine imported beer. To me its more floral hops and a sweeter more prominent maltiness. It also has a slightly more prominent bitterness. I had an aussie brewed becks today and it was not worth the $9 i payed for it, but it was a turisty spot and it was $6 for a XXXX Gold so becks it was!

My dad has worked for tooheys for most of my life and has just retired. When they starter making german beers under licence i said to him...... Well there goes the quality of imported beers and he argued that you cant make a better beer that what tooheys will make as becks or hienekin and all the others they make.

Bullshit i said!

I went and brewed a lager to better even german becks and i did it........... its basicly just a good german pilsner.

100% Weyermann Pilsner, mash in at 2l/kg at 52 deg for 10 min. Infuse to 64 deg with boiling water and mash for 60 min.
1.048 and bitter to about 35 IBU.

like this

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.60
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.81
Anticipated EBC: 6.8
Anticipated IBU: 35.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 4.60 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
52.00 g. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 6.30 35.8 40 min.
20.00 g. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 6.30 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
2124 or 2042...... i prefer 2042.

Mash Schedule
-------------

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
protein rest 2 10 52 51 Infuse 58 9.20 2.00
mash 2 60 64 64 Infuse 99 4.24 2.92

The important thing is to boil the bittering hops for just 40 min......This gives an incredible hop character!

cheers

Good on you Tony.

Plenty of perceived crap around on AHB, and to some extent there is, but to continue providing great assistance to new brewers coming onto AHB deserves mention since many 'old time' members of AHB have left due to frustration in part.

Well done.

Any new brewers reading this can be sure that the assistance that Tony provides is always on the money.

Cheers.

Don't recall any honey like flavours in the Becks I have had.

Tony's recipe looks good to me.

If you want a good cheap German Lager suggest you try 3 big bottles of Henniger from Liquorland for $10.00 damn tasty drop and thanks to BribieG on getting on to this one I have been buying the small bottles.

Tho a bit of Melanodin and some Carapillis can throw some similar flavours and might be worth a shot, try about 10% of each, if you really like the honey note brewing an Ale rather than a Lager and encouraging a bit of Diacetyl can accentuate the honey note.

Go easy on the melanoidin. After using it for the first time in a brew last Tuesday, I had to rename my 'Berlin Blonde' recipe to 'Rhineland Red' due to having 5% mel and 5% carapils. Heaps darker than I expected, and I'm intrigued as to how it's going to taste.

Brewed almost the same recipe on Thursday, but with only 1% melanoidin, and it still imparted a lot of colour, giving a golden appearance.

Should have been a bit clearer the second sentence isnt referring to a Becks Clone but rather to a Honey Ale as its the honey flavour the OP was looking for, there is a PDF of Weyermann recipes kicking around (originally from Weyermann, via Wes Smith and I think I got my copy from Tony a few years ago).
It will be a lot darker and sweeter and certainly no Becks clone but if anyone is interested.
The grain bill for the Honey Ale listed is:-
25% Pilsner Malt
50% Vienna Malt
15% Carapillis
10% Melanodin

Sorry for the lack of clarity
MHB

Hey tony, thanks for the information. It will definitely be my next brew. I'm not familiar with promash, can you explain the mash schedule you've listed.

Thanks, Jacob

mash in at 2l/kg at 52 deg for 10 min.
Infuse to 64 deg with boiling water and mash for 60 min.

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
protein rest 2 10 52 51 Infuse 58 9.20 2.00
mash 2 60 64 64 Infuse 99 4.24 2.92
Add 9.2 litres of 58 degree water to hit 52 - hold for 10 minutes
Add 4.24 litres of 99 (boiling) water to hit 64 - hold for 60 mins

Hey tony, thanks for the information. It will definitely be my next brew. I'm not familiar with promash, can you explain the mash schedule you've listed.

Thanks, Jacob

It's a protein rest followed by a dryish saccharafication rest.

bang on with the mash temps folks...... but the temps are with a SS mash tum with a highish thermal mass so i need to up my temps....... i think i use 0.75 in the thermal thingy in promash. If you need any more info just ask.

Will also attach the weyermann recipes doc as per discussed.

Cheers

View attachment weyermann_recipes.pdf

one other question. What volume of water did you sparge with? Beersmith is saying just over 17L which takes me up to over 30L of wort. Did you boil that down to 23L or sparge with less?

Sorry, new to AG!

Thanks for the recipe Tony, I hope I get a fermenting fridge soon so I can give it a crack.

Edit:
Search the site (AHB). There is at least 4 seperate threads on becks clone with multiple recipes. More info than u could need. I suggest u search and utilize the info from all the threads to create the reciepe u like.

Don't get me wrong I'm not elitist, I made a becks clone when I got back into brewing and used the info off AHB. It was ok. If I made an AG version now knowing what I know it would be better than becks. We understand the importantance of making what u know and to a degree benchmarking ur brewing extpertese against commercial examples.

Have a look and make a judgement about recipe and then if ur not sure continue the thread and ask for feedback on the recipe.

Learn about brewing and your brewing knowledge and technique will grow and you'll need less help and enjoy it more and make ur own recipes.

Happy brewing

Sorry to bump an old thread but I want to say that I made something very similar to Tony's recipe and it turned out amazing.

The differences were that I used Joe White Pils for my malt and could only get White Labs WLP833 (German Bock Lager) for my yeast. It was my first lager and by far the best beer I've made to date.

I haven't compared it side-by-side to a Becks but I can tell you the name "Better than Becks" accurately describes it.

Latest posts

Back