Becks Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmacdonald

Reaction score
Picked up a carton of Becks swill from the bottle shop the other day. It's ok and was cheap enough, but the most interesting thing was the bottles.

I'm considering using these for brewing as they're crown seals. They're green glass, which is probably not as good as brown but not too bad.

Main concern is that they're 330mL bottles, any problem with this other than I guess I can't use carbonation drops as they're designed for 375mL bottles?

no drama using those bottles over 375 ml.
The beer might be a little more carbonated but I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference just don't leave them in the sun, more chance of skunking or light strike.
One carb drop per bottle she's all good .

Cheers Brocky
:icon_drunk:

Just make sure the glass is thick enough. Some bottles are too thin to reuse and can result in breakages when capping, or bottle bombs when conditioning.

i mainly use becks and they work perfectly fine

Good enough for me. I'll start collecting some. I like them cos they're clean once you get the label off (no markings except for capacity - 330mL) and they're crown seals. Was initally attracted to clear bottles like coronas so I can see what I've brewed but now know that clear's the worst "colour" for beer. I'll still store them in the dark though.

carb drops are a ripoff. For 330 ml bottles get a small funnel with a handle then go to an op shop and get a little silver spoon (you know the ones that old ladies collect) and use that for priming. You'll soon get the hang of what spoonful works best. Or bulk prime, I can't be arsed - only did that once.

Picked up a carton of Becks swill from the bottle shop the other day. It's ok and was cheap enough, but the most interesting thing was the bottles.

I'm considering using these for brewing as they're crown seals. They're green glass, which is probably not as good as brown but not too bad.

Main concern is that they're 330mL bottles, any problem with this other than I guess I can't use carbonation drops as they're designed for 375mL bottles?
Green is fine as long as you keep them out of the sunlight, or away from Fluro lights.
Carb dropwise, as the volume is lower, you're best to look into Bulk Priming.

Green is good, but like everyone else has said just keep them in the dark as best you can... I'm using Heineken bottles (same as Becks) for one of my brews. Another beer I found recently that is perfect for homebrew bottles is Oettinger Pilsener. I picked up a case of this for 30 smackers recently. They're 330mL (I believe) brown pry-tops and the glass is completely blank of any brand engravings or markings (which is good if you plan to label and distribute your beer as if it were a commercial beer :D... something I like to do for kicks)

Carbo drops can be used for 330mL, but you can always just use a priming spoon and fill it with less sugar if you're worried about it. I use a priming spoon for my ales and stouts so I can lessen the carbonation, and use drops for lagers and other beers that require lots of carbonation.

Latest posts

Back