Bbd @ Kooks - Which Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Recipe to brew on the day?

• Striking Gold Belgian Strong Ale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hailbrau Doppelbock

• Russian Imperial Stout

• Total voters

kook

Reaction score
Well, as it is now getting pretty close to the 5th, I figure we should work out what to brew on the day.

Of the three official recipes, only two really take my fancy. I've also got an idea for another one which we could go along with instead of the specified BBD recipes....

1. Striking Gold Belgian Strong Ale

I've already got all the necessary grain and hops on hand, along with an assortment of various sugars we could use such as yellow asian rocks, clear candi, dark candi, billingtons soft brown, etc etc. Will also have either a starter or slurry of WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes).​

2. Hailbrau Doppelbock

Would need to get hold of a load of Munich, but otherwise have hops and grain on hand. So long as it's finished, I'll also have a WY2308 (Munich Lager) ready to pitch.​

3. Russian Imperial Stout

Probably not the easiest idea for a brewday, but gives everyone a higher chance of seeing me screw something up, which would be amusing. Basically, the plan would be to mash 16.5kg of kirin malt in my mash tun, and someone bring along a small esky tun which can hold the 2.5kg of roast/specialty malts for steeping. These would be combined to brew 50L of 1.104 Russian Imperial Stout. The fermentation would be split, with half using WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes) yeast, the other using WY1056 (Cal Ale). The latter would also be aged in secondary on bourbon soaked oak chips for an extra touch.​

I'll leave it up to you all to decide :D If we do go for the third option, does anyone have a suitable mash tun to bring along for the steeping of the specialty malts?

Well, as it is now getting pretty close to the 5th, I figure we should work out what to brew on the day.

Of the three official recipes, only two really take my fancy. I've also got an idea for another one which we could go along with instead of the specified BBD recipes....
1. Striking Gold Belgian Strong Ale

I've already got all the necessary grain and hops on hand, along with an assortment of various sugars we could use such as yellow asian rocks, clear candi, dark candi, billingtons soft brown, etc etc. Will also have either a starter or slurry of WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes).​

2. Hailbrau Doppelbock

Would need to get hold of a load of Munich, but otherwise have hops and grain on hand. So long as it's finished, I'll also have a WY2308 (Munich Lager) ready to pitch.​

3. Russian Imperial Stout

Probably not the easiest idea for a brewday, but gives everyone a higher chance of seeing me screw something up, which would be amusing. Basically, the plan would be to mash 16.5kg of kirin malt in my mash tun, and someone bring along a small esky tun which can hold the 2.5kg of roast/specialty malts for steeping. These would be combined to brew 50L of 1.104 Russian Imperial Stout. The fermentation would be split, with half using WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes) yeast, the other using WY1056 (Cal Ale). The latter would also be aged in secondary on bourbon soaked oak chips for an extra touch.​
I'll leave it up to you all to decide :D If we do go for the third option, does anyone have a suitable mash tun to bring along for the steeping of the specialty malts?

i'd pick #1!

I'm voting for #2, just coz it sounds cool, so I might want to brew it myself. The other two I could take or leave.

Hey Kook, not completely sure but think I am coming. I voted 1 cos I reckon it would be the easiest. I've hosted 2 brew days, and it really is much harder to keep track of what is going on, and you need to allow for a stuff up or two (I am thinking esky handles here). So I wouldnt attempt the RIS.

(I am thinking esky handles here)

and standby for the photo....

I voted for the Belgian - very interested to see that one.

I used burbon to soak some oak chips Kook and it gave the brew quite a strong burbon flavour - I've stuck to vodka since then.

I too voted for the Belgian - never had a crack at one and have a feeling you know a thing or three about brewing Belgian beers.

I confess the vote for 3 is mine. That full tun is going to weigh around 30-40kg and those handles are a good chance to go, creating great photo opportunities.

I will bring the small tun for steepage.

I confess the vote for 3 is mine. That full tun is going to weigh around 30-40kg and those handles are a good chance to go, creating great photo opportunities.

I will bring the small tun for steepage.
Should I post that picture again? Am I sick of living?

Agreed, very good photo :D
He's already said there's a reasonable chance he won't make it.

I want a brewday with someone doing a triple decoction, so I can see how hard it is and whether I want to attempt it or not.

We need the little animation that screwtop has of a lil dude poking another dude with a stick.

Should be honoured GL....no ones going to forget that brewday in a hurry :D

Option 1 or 2 sounds good, stay away form 3 if you don't want to be running around like a blue a$$ed fly all day!!

Also happy to contribute some kg's of Munich to cause if needed I have about 5kg of Weyerman Munich II sitting forlornly in the shed at the moment.

Option 1 or 2 sounds good, stay away form 3 if you don't want to be running around like a blue a$$ed fly all day!!

There is some late money for option 3. Looking very close. Bring your cameras.

Interesting offer?

BIG BREW OFFER!
The American Homebrewers Association's (AHA) 10th Annual Big Brew is a worldwide celebration of homebrewing that kicks off with a simultaneous toast at noon Central Time on May 5th, at which time homebrewers around the globe will begin brewing the Big Brew recipes.

Last year, over 7,000 gallons were brewed by more than 2,500 participants at 229 sites worldwide. Click here for more information on how to participate.

In honor of the 10th anniversary of Big Brew, the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) is giving away a FREE book to all those who join the AHA through this special offer by May 11th.
FREE Book Choices:
Bock, Retail Price $11.95
Brew Like A Monk, Retail Price $17.95
Pale Ale, Retail Price $14.95

Benefits of the AHA:
Zymurgy Magazine
AHA TechTalk Email Forum
Pub Discount Program
Book Discounts
Special Event Discounts

OFFER ENDS: May 11, 2007

HOMEBREWING RECIPE!

Griffin Spit IPA
by Tony McCrimmon
(this is one of the 2007 Big Brew recipes)
Batch size: 5 gallons (19 L)
Anticipated OG: 1.073
Anticipated SRM: 10
Color Formula Used: Morey
Anticipated IBU: 190.3
Hop IBU Formula Used: Daniels
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Griffin Spit IPA -- Extract Version
For 5 gallons using a concentrated boil of approximately 3 gallons.
8.5 lb (3.5 kg) Light Liquid Malt Extract
2.0 lb (1.4 kg) Amber Liquid Malt Extract
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (20 min.)*
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (10 min.)*
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (5 min.)*
1.0 oz (28 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (Dry Hop)*
1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 min.)
White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1968 London ESB Yeast

*Note: If Summit hops are unavailable at your local homebrew supply shop, substitute with another high-Alpha American hop.

Directions:
Stir extract into 2 gallons (7.6 L) of warm water. Bring to a boil total boil time will be 35 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss according to the recipe (note that all bittering in this beer comes from late addition hops). Cool the wort after completing the boil, and then rack to a fermenter with enough cold water to make 5 gallons. When temperature drops to 66F (19C), pitch two packages of yeast or a gallon starter and aerate well. Ferment at 66-68F (19-20C) for two weeks, then rack to secondary with dry hops added. Leave on hops for three weeks before bottling or kegging.

Back