Bavarian Weibier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumoasta

Reaction score
I want to make a Bavarian-style Hefeweibier. I've found a recipe on the Coopers website for a Hefeweizen which calls for:
1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer Kit
1kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt
11.5g WB-06 yeast

First question... as the Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt only comes in 1.5kg tins, would it be ok to add the whole tin instead of just 1kg? Or would the resulting beer be too sweet?
I already have the WB-06 yeast and I'm wondering what temperature to ferment at with this yeast to best replicate the style?

I think some places sell dry wheat malt in 1kg bags.
I reckon the 1.5kg tin would be fine also.

I think about 18-20*c would be the right temp.
The temp will affect the flavours, someone with more experience will elaborate on this.

Add some Hallertau &/or Tettnang hops and it should make a nice brew !

I think some places sell dry wheat malt in 1kg bags.
I reckon the 1.5kg tin would be fine also.

I think about 18-20*c would be the right temp.
The temp will affect the flavours, someone with more experience will elaborate on this.

Add some Hallertau &/or Tettnang hops and it should make a nice brew !

Thanks for the reply :icon_cheers:
Are the hops you suggested for extra bitterness? As I'm pretty sure that Weibier has no flavour or aroma hops, as the flavour and aroma come from the yeast.

Yeah just a bit of extra bitterness to balance it out.

But yeah gotta love the flavours produced by WB yeast !

I have made several brews based on this now and they do produce a nice beer. I used 2kg of dry wheat malt extract last time. I would suggest that with WB06 you ferment at 17C and you will find that you not only get the phenolic/clove esters but also a bit of banana too. My last took three weeks to ferment out and dry hopped at 14 days with 20gm of Hallertau Mittlefrueh pellets. I would be tempted to go to 30gms. Very little bitterness comes through, mainly flavor and aroma.

I did this with coopers wheat beer and morgans wheat malt extract, plus the WB-06 yeast. Under-filled the fermenter to 21.5l and cooked at 20C for two weeks. Best between one and three weeks with a big smack of cloves in the nose, drops off after that. Two carb drops gives a big foamy head, the bottles I used only one in were sufficiently carbonated.

Not sure if extra hops are really needed with this kit, I did it without first to see what it was like and I'm quite happy with it. If I were to do it again I might reduce it to 20l to really bring out the pungency and maybe add something late ferment such as honey, or a small boil of vanilla pods.

Back