Batch Sparge Or Fly Sparge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, just wondering why 75.6C was used? Sparge temp is usually 78 - 80C as far as I am aware. I have used this for nearly all my brews since installing my mashmaster thermometer into my mash tun, and my efficiencies have averaged 75-80% (I batch sparge too). I usually add 90C+ water to my tun for the batch sparge, and very rarely does the grain bed temp exceed 80C.

Anyway, would be interested to see where that figure came from!!

Cheers

Sorry guys, just wondering why 75.6C was used? Sparge temp is usually 78 - 80C as far as I am aware.

Cos that's the Beersmith default, and nobody that has quoted that figure has the CDF to realise that this is just a default setting..... (edit: based on 168F) :lol:

Righto, makes more sense now :)

I would suggest 78-80 for your sparge temp, and watch your efficiency jump up a few points :p

Cheers

PS: Beer Alchemy Rules :)

Righto, makes more sense now

I would suggest 78-80 for your sparge temp, and watch your efficiency jump up a few points

Cheers

PS: Beer Alchemy Rules

agree, with the exception of the beer alchemy comment.....not cos i disagree, but cos I've never used it, so can't rightly comment. :lol:

Note to all software users....default settings are just that...default. They're not set in stone. They can be changed. The sky won't fall in as a result.. :lol:

Cos that's the Beersmith default, and nobody that has quoted that figure has the CDF to realise that this is just a default setting..... (edit: based on 168F) :lol:

Gee that means I will get even more efficiency

Pumpy :D

I used to batch sparge and for single batches its great i got good enough %eff. and it took less time.

However with my system, when doing double batches, i was hampered by vessel size. I would have to do multiple sparges, lost %eff, and it took longer so i started to fly sparge and all is well.

:icon_offtopic:
The first batch that i fly sparged with i did have a bit of astringency/harsh bitterness (i think, my tasting skills are still developing). Could this have been by sparge technique? or recipe? sparge water was about 78c.

3.2kg JW Trad Ale
1.2kg JW Wheat Malt
1.2kg JW Light Munich
0.35kg JW Dark Munich

8g Super Pride 60min
30g Simcoe 20min
30g Cascade 20min

No-chill Simcoe and Cascade cube hopped and calculated as 20 min additions

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Leary

I used to batch sparge and for single batches its great i got good enough %eff. and it took less time.

However with my system, when doing double batches, i was hampered by vessel size. I would have to do multiple sparges, lost %eff, and it took longer so i started to fly sparge and all is well.

:icon_offtopic:
The first batch that i fly sparged with i did have a bit of astringency/harsh bitterness (i think, my tasting skills are still developing). Could this have been by sparge technique? or recipe? sparge water was about 78c.

3.2kg JW Trad Ale
1.2kg JW Wheat Malt
1.2kg JW Light Munich
0.35kg JW Dark Munich

8g Super Pride 60min
30g Simcoe 20min
30g Cascade 20min

No-chill Simcoe and Cascade cube hopped and calculated as 20 min additions

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Leary

Wouldn't think 78C would be producing astringency unless your PH was way out. Not confusing the tartness of wheat (20%) in the beer with astringency by any chance.

Cos that's the Beersmith default, and nobody that has quoted that figure has the CDF to realise that this is just a default setting..... (edit: based on 168F)

Hey Butters, good to see you again. Yep good old CDF :) I have even seen some brewers use Beersmith recipes, as though they are tried and true. And another point on adding hot water infusions, if addding boiling water, use a temp around 94C in your calculations in Beersmith as the water is never at boiling by the time you add it to the mash.

Screwy

O.K. WTF is CDF. Sorry if I'm not as forum savy as you are.

I used 75.6 because I'm a newby to AG and therefore default is a good place to start.

I've just been tweaking beersmith to try the batch sparge and I need to confirm the process.

1. Mash as normal
2. Mashout, raise mash temp tp 75.6 for 10 min.
3. add 3lt water at 75.6 as per beersmith, then recirculate and drain the mash tun.
4. add another 11lt water at 75.6 mix the grain, recirculate and drain again.

Does this sound right??

So am I on the right track here??

O.K. WTF is CDF. Sorry if I'm not as forum savy as you are.

I used 75.6 because I'm a newby to AG and therefore default is a good place to start.

So am I on the right track here??

Sorry Beerbuoy, you'll hear a lot of navy guys use this term CDF = Common Dog F, dogs just know how to do some things right :lol: so basically Common Sense :)

Anyway to help you out we will need lots more info re your mash schedule, boil length, pre-boil volume etc. If you like PM me your BSM file and I'll look it over.

Cheers,

Screwy

Sorry Beerbuoy, you'll hear a lot of navy guys use this term CDF = Common Dog F, dogs just know how to do some things right :lol: so basically Common Sense :)

Anyway to help you out we will need lots more info re your mash schedule, boil length, pre-boil volume etc. If you like PM me your BSM file and I'll look it over.

Cheers,

Screwy

Take Screwys help beerbuoy, he helped me out with my 1st AG and Beersmith.. Get on the right track hey and it'll be even easier to work ya shit out.. ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

O.K. sorry to be a DF but I can't figure how to attach the bsm file to a pm.

Quote below is what beersmith is planning for my batch sparge tomorrow. I'm going to try a batch sparge for myself before I decide which way to go, batch or fly. I just want to make sure I have the process right as per quote below. I'm open to more educated ideas, this is just what I'm interpreting from beersmith.

cheers

I've just been tweaking beersmith to try the batch sparge and I need to confirm the process.

1. Mash as normal
2. Mashout, raise mash temp tp 75.6 for 10 min.
3. add 3lt water at 75.6 as per beersmith, then recirculate and drain the mash tun.
4. add another 11lt water at 75.6 mix the grain, recirculate and drain again.

Does this sound right??

you'll hear a lot of navy guys use this term CDF = Common Dog F, \

Navy...NAVY!!....Them's fightin words!!! <_< :lol:

remove puss from head and insert rocks instead, and you have the right service....

edit...and back OT, yes, 94-95C is what I also consider to be a boil, for the purpose of calculations.....

Navy...NAVY!!....Them's fightin words!!! <_< :lol:

remove puss from head and insert rocks instead, and you have the right service....

edit...and back OT, yes, 94-95C is what I also consider to be a boil, for the purpose of calculations.....

Bindi!!!

Me-thinks there be a mango needs sorting out!!

...."My house is grey, my house is grey....

Why is my house grey ??

'Cause I paint it that way. "

The Pussers bus is the bus for us!!!

Back on topic... I batch sparge simply because it was available with no equipment add-on.

I get 75-78% efficiency regularly. Even the odd efficiency deprived brew tastes on the mark. A few points here and there means little to me. If I want to compensate, I will have an extra schooner at the end of the night! :beer:

Fester Out!.

I fly sparge so going to advise you to continue, because 1. Its so easy and 2. You will get better efficiency.

+1 for continue to fly sparge, especially if your setup works well to fly sparge.

I fly sparge as for double batches we dont have room in the esky to batch sparge.

2c.

Cheers people.

I'll give the batch sparge a go next time.

If I get 80% that'll do me. Better to keep it simple as I'm still very much new to AG.

I have always fly sparged. Have not ever really considered anything else even when I started out. Get my HLT remp right and away I go. Always achieve at least 75% effeceincy. Recently upsized the brewery to 85ltrs boils and have also changed the gap on my mill. Have now put through four brews and the last two with my mill adjustment being made I have returned 81% + effeciency. Really to me fly sparging is just as easy as batching.

Edit: I lied, batched sparged my first two AG's that was around 23 AG's ago.

BYB

Hmnmm, everyone's system is different. Some people batch sparge and get very good efficiency. Some people fly sparge and dont get great efficiency. And the other way around. Do whatever method you prefer, or which gives you the best results, or, whatever is available to you. Personally i dont care too much for getting that extra 3 or 4% efficiency. I like to KISS. Im interested in the final result, not some numbers in my brew log, or my shiny SS push button,bum wiping bling setup.

Cheers

Hmnmm, everyone's system is different. Some people batch sparge and get very good efficiency. Some people fly sparge and dont get great efficiency. And the other way around. Do whatever method you prefer, or which gives you the best results, or, whatever is available to you. Personally i dont care too much for getting that extra 3 or 4% efficiency. I like to KISS. Im interested in the final result, not some numbers in my brew log, or my shiny SS push button,bum wiping bling setup.

Cheers

+1 YUP! Thats what I reckon, KISS. Giving the batch sparge a go this arvo. If I like it I'll go that way. Only one way to find out.

Yes the logic of pragmatism, go with whatever works best for you ... however is it just me or are those who say they fly for better efficiency yet to state what efficiency they get for fear of comparison? :ph34r: :lol:

I guess I Bitch Sparge (no I am not a Kiwi).
A Batch Sparge is (technically) where you drain all the wort out at speed, replace the drained wort with fresh sparge water in one batch, possibly stir, let settle then vorlauf to clarity and continue, repeat if required to reach final volume and gravity. The big problem with this method is the almost certain chance of channeling, though this is adressed by a good stir, and the absolute neccessity to Vorlauf.
Fly sparging is by far the most sensible, whether this is done with a rotating arm (huge heat loss in the spray) or a continuous flow (preferably diffused) in such a way that the very slow water in is at the same rate as the wort out.
Sensibility does not drive us all, I drain say 8 litres at the fly sparge rate (I have sufficient head space in my mash tun to allow this and still keep a small volume of water above the mash), move it to the bolier and replace by carefully pouring over the bed with 76C -78C water, if the runnings cloud as a result (uncommon) I vorlauf.
I do not give a flying wet fart about efficiency, I compensate after if required.

K

Latest posts

Back