Batch Sparge Or Fly Sparge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought one of the benefits of batch sparging was that channelling became a non-issue. All you are doing is draining
an evenly mixed sugar solution into the kettle each time.

Why is the vorlauf different for a batch sparge? I understand a short vorlauf is required for each water
addition but how else is it different?

Cheers,
smudge

I guess I Bitch Sparge (no I am not a Kiwi).
A Batch Sparge is (technically) where you drain all the wort out at speed, replace the drained wort with fresh sparge water in one batch, possibly stir, let settle then vorlauf to clarity and continue, repeat if required to reach final volume and gravity. The big problem with this method is the almost certain chance of channeling, though this is adressed by a good stir, and the absolute neccessity to Vorlauf.
Fly sparging is by far the most sensible, whether this is done with a rotating arm (huge heat loss in the spray) or a continuous flow (preferably diffused) in such a way that the very slow water in is at the same rate as the wort out.
Sensibility does not drive us all, I drain say 8 litres at the fly sparge rate (I have sufficient head space in my mash tun to allow this and still keep a small volume of water above the mash), move it to the bolier and replace by carefully pouring over the bed with 76C -78C water, if the runnings cloud as a result (uncommon) I vorlauf.
I do not give a flying wet fart about efficiency, I compensate after if required.

K

+1 for Dr K's method too... we use an alfoil cooking tray with holes punched in it, placed it ontop of the mash and we keep around an inch of water over the mash, and drain the tun very slooooowly.

Back