Batch Size Promash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasChris

Lurking
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am getting ready to do my first AG brew and am trying to get my head around Promash at the same time with regard to batch size.
My system has the following characteristics, I have done a grain free run, to calc these.
Working backwards
23l in the fermenter
3l of loss to dead space in kettle
4l loss to evap for 60min boil
30l in kettle

1.25l loss to deadspace in mash tun

therefore I need 31.25l added to mash tun as mash water and sparge.

Is my batch size 26l ie amount in kettle post boil or 30l pre boil??
I'm stuck trying to get my head round this one.
Chris

Batch Size is the amount into the fermenter, water seems a little light on how much grain?

hmm should have said water into mash tun (including mash water and sparge)equals
31.5l plus 1litre per kg of grain to allow for grain adsorbtion

ie for 5kg of grain

36.5l into mashtun would give 30 litres into kettle

Batch size is the volume at the end of the boil not the volume in the fermentor.

Depends on how much grain you have to how much water you'll need, for every kilo of grain you'll loose a litre of the water also. So don't forget to add that aswell. The water needed calculator in promash will help you work it out and calculates that lose automatically for you.

Jayse
PS now let the batch size fight began over everyone who thinks its the fermentor volume.

I guessed it would be post boil vol as this would have to have the target SG even tho I am going to loose some vol to dead space of kettle.

I have been trying to fiddle with the amount of grain required to achieve 23l of the correct SG in my fermenter

No fight from me, Jayse, but I've always used the volume into fermenter as the batch size. I'm quite willing to switch over as this will increase my efficiency no end. :D

Cheers

A quick google and all is revealed. Jayse, you are spot on. Batch size for Promash is the final volume in the kettle.

This Promash thread explains all.

So for you TasChris, your batch size should be 26litres.

Well, you learn something new every day. :D

jayse said:
Batch size is the volume at the end of the boil not the volume in the fermentor.

[post="127050"][/post]​

Jayse be right... I set my batch size for what's in the boiler at strikeout. :beerbang:

Warren -

jayse said:

Yep. No fight here either.

arthur said:
If the batch size is the volume of liquid after boil, then what is the name for the volume of wort in the fermentor?
[post="127104"][/post]​

It's your final volume, which equals the batch size, LESS losses from the CFWC, hoses, etc...If you want to end up with 19 litres of beer in the keg and you know that you'll lose 2 litres along the way, you should have 21 litres in the kettle at the end of the boil...and thus, your batch size on Promash should be set to 21 litres.

Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back