Basics Of Making And Using A Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your not tempted to run it again?

Ed: not sure I'd be pitching yeast that hadn't displayed behavior I was expecting..

It's hard to gauge how effective the starter has been by eyeballing the bottom of the flask. You just have to trust the yeast calculator. And adjust next time if results aren't as expected.

I'll add my thanks too Wolfy. I've been using starters for the last few months after learning how here and it totally rocks!!! Great fermentations, real solid. Thanks! As someone who looked this over for the first time a few months ago, I highly recommend getting into starters for anyone looking this over for the first time. As they say, temperature control and proper pitch!

Another big thanks to Wolfy and other contributors to this thread, a great guide. - Wasted thanks probably, assuming he is no longer around but hoping he is well!

Anyway, I am heading in to 'stirplate land', as I have only made a few starters in the past with the old, hand spin method, I have a pretty simple question, if someone can help?

How long do I run the stirplate for? First 24 hours? Does Krausen form and you turn off? 48 hours?

Any tips?

BTW: First mission, I wanna try and re-coop a 1272 smack pack I never used... possibly 12 months old.

I do mine the day before. With a good vortex it doesnt form a Krausen but if I seal it the cap is blown clean off it. So I know it is active.I opt for the tin foil to cover it. Have been saving some wort from older batches and using it for my starters. Seems to get going a lot quicker than using LME. I usually start it in the morning before I brew with one litre. Add another litre in the evening and remainder of what beersmith recommends for my starter size next morning. I like the process so I do it. And my beer seems to be attenuating nicely with the yeast behaving well and not throwing anything too awful back at me or stalling.

Thanks djar,

So, about 24 hours or more so the whole time running the stir plate?

Do you No-Chill adding another 24 hours until pitching?

Cheers

I dont no chill. Or more aptly. I chill. I usually brew in the morning and pitch when I finish at around mid afternoon. Been getting a decent Krausen that evening. I know others ramp up starters more slowly but I find my method works ok for me.

Cocko, I took a bit of what I would call healthy slurry, poured into a 1lt starter wort, 24hrs later it's literally climbing out the flask, had to turn off the stir bar and just let it ferment out, I've got 2lt for it to go into when it calms the **** down..

Basically, if it doesn't jump in 24hrs let it settle and step again, if you have reservations as to vitality, step again.. Patience is worth it

I recently didn't follow my own advice and have had the most arsehole of a ferment, I've managed to get it down but come back to this.

If your starter doesn't jump, your Brew won't either..

Gotcha..

Looking forward to getting all Walter White on this shit!

Cheers again djar and Yob, for your help and time.

Woot and so such.

I've also never had a massive Krausen explosion, but ferments have always been healthy. Are you guys doing anything to make them healthier? Oxygen, yeast nutrient? What size wort in what size flask?

I successfully did a 1.6L starter stepped from a 40mL slurry sample to 500mL to 1L to 1.6L last week for a brew I did on Sunday gone and the first step did not get much "krausen", more a thick dense white foam whilst it was on the stirplate, but by the time 2 days later I had stepped it to 1.6L and it had a few hours on the plate it definitely had a few inches of krausen (in a 2L erlenmeyer).... guess it's the same question as "how big a krausen will i get in my FV".... how long is a piece of string?

if you are at the stage of yeast starters you can surely identify healthy yeast activity and therefore can deem whether a starter is started, or not :)

Good luck Cocko, remember no pants in true Walter White style!

I asked the question to get some idea if I should be doing more steps. I tend to do one step only unless I'm doing high gravity (1.060 and up), and don't get the krausena that ppl are talking about. But then, I'm doing 1-2l in a 5l flask, so an inch is prob a krausplosion in a 2l flask...

hehe yea exactly, the same length as a piece of string!

I'm doing my first yeast starter right now stepping up some slurry I saved from a brew six monts ago. For those nervous about making the jump (I know I was!), following this guide makes it very very easy.

A little bit surprised how quickly the yeast fired up given its age and it has a wonderful bready smell.

lael said:
I've also never had a massive Krausen explosion, but ferments have always been healthy. Are you guys doing anything to make them healthier? Oxygen, yeast nutrient? What size wort in what size flask?
My starters never krausen up that much either, even those mad wheat yeasts, however once in the fermenter the bastards are climbing out like mad. I use nutrient in my starters and aerate by shaking the dickens out of it for 5 minutes. I generally use a 2L starter wort in a 2L flask (unless stepping up from a smaller pitch of yeast). I don't have a stir plate though, I just give it a swirl every time I walk by. Works for me.

JD

I don't always get a krausen from a stepped starter, however they always tend to leave a very feint krausen ring when they're done and fine bubbles.

@ Cock, I just leave the stirplate on for the whole period (bout 12hrs per step). Then they go in the fridge for 12hrs so I can decant and pitch within a day or so. If I'm disorganised and they sit around for awhile I'll decant and add some more wort the night or morning before brewing and pitch at high krausen. These always take off like a rocket.

These revitalised starters always have an obvious krausen in the erlenmeyer too.

Only done 3 starters on a ghetto homemade stirplate. Each time 1.5l and never massive activity, just a thin layer of foam on top if I stop the stirplate. Each brew has attenuated more than expected.
I think it is quite easy to overpitch and miss out on some of the yeast derived flavour that you may be looking for.

Trial and error I guess. Just sticking to 1272/1275 yeasts so I can repeat my process and find what works for me.

Latest posts

Back