Basic BIAB. Hit me with ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it can, but it'll mellow out after a few weeks (in my experiences anyway. ymmv).

edit: what were your hop additions? I love a centennial bittering personally

My second brew was a pretty simple one (Much simpler than the first - one that I probably should have started with) - a basic Pale Ale. Something like 95% Ale, 5% medium crystal. NS and Cascade in the boil, dry hopped with a bit of cascade. Bloody beautiful beer. Need to make another soon - almost run out!

fletcher said:
it can, but it'll mellow out after a few weeks (in my experiences anyway. ymmv).

edit: what were your hop additions? I love a centennial bittering personally
10g @ 60
15g @ 10
15g @ 0
Will drop hop with 20g at day 4

20 lt batch no chill

When I was doing Biab I was throwing all sorts of malt combo's and hops schedules into the recipe. Going with a simple 1's theory for starting all grain will serve you better in the long run for knowing the malt and hops for there taste.

95% Ale, 5% CaraMalt

Use a single hop like cascade, centennial or amarillo to get 35Ibu:

Bittering @ 60mins - 20 IBu
Flavour @ 20mins - 10 IBu
Aroma @ 5mins - 5 Ibu

Mash at 66c for 60mins

US/05 dry yeast and you should get a nice all grain beer.

mosto said:
10g @ 60
15g @ 10
15g @ 0
Will drop hop with 20g at day 4

20 lt batch no chill
looks bloody great to me. 10g at 60 shouldn't make it too harsh I don't think.

Pickaxe said:
My 2c, either try an ah version of something you like and have brewed, to learn the difference ag offers, it a tried and true recipe. And smurtos golden is well tested. But, theres enough recipes, what do you want to drink?
What do I wanna drink?? ALL THE BEER. I'm getting heaps of ideas here. Didn't get too far through the recipe database, because my list was getting too long! I'm looking forward to getting started!

Pickaxe said:
**** me, how long you gotta wait for that to be drinkable? Never used galaxy that early.
I've found the same issue...did this as a partial about 7 weeks ago:

2.3kg JW Trad Ale
250gm JW Cara

1kg wheat LME (at end of boil)

11gm Galaxy (12.3%) @ 60
22gm Galaxy @ 15
25gm Galaxy @ 0
25gm Galaxy @ d (4d)

36 IBU, 5.2% abv....and it's still almost completely undrinkable, harsh, almost viciously so. I'm close to tipping it to free up some bottles. Will keep some to see if it ever comes good, but I won't be doing an all Galaxy at those levels again!

Oh noes. Hope it's not super bad. It's currently carbonating in the keg now, and I have 9 longies to age also. Will see how it turns out.

Don't stress I'm a big galaxy user and I have used it for bittering almost exclusively.

I've gone from fv to drinking in keg in 3 days and it was fine by me, and of course much better again after 7 days in the fridge.

No one has ever said my beers bittering was harsh but it seems plenty of folk pick that up with galaxy.

Btw if you are a fan of galaxy the best batch I ever did with it was all late hops.

Still boil for a full 60 mins but don't add any hops until the 20min mark.

Split your hop amounts evenly over 5 additions - 20,15,10,5 and 0

You use a lot more hops to get your ibu's where you want them but it is well worth the extra $

Can be a bit too much passion fruity for some though.

I just recently put down a vienna galaxy smash and used it at 50 and 20 so hopefully it'll be decent.

Haven't had that problem with Galaxy myself. Did a pale ale to 50 IBU with Galaxy all the way (bittering addition of 15g at 60min). Smooth and very drinkable after two weeks bottle conditioning. Bitter yes, but no harshness detected. Non-craft beer drinking mates thought it was nice.

This keg emptied pretty quick at a party I had. I liked it. Tasted pretty ordinary for the first two weeks, and then right after that it hit a sweet spot very quickly. I'll be doing this again, with the exact same hopping schedule other than the addition of 25g Cascade @ 5.

I brewed a cascade hopped pale ale for my first BIAB (and first beer) which was drinkable, but I made a hefeweizen for my second brew which I would rate as pretty good. It was an easier beer to brew in many ways as well.

There was only one hop addition, chill haze is not an issue in the finished article so trub removal is not so important and I didn't worry making a yeast starter. Although step mashes are recommended for hefes, I did a single step mash and ended up with a decent brew. I didn't have to stuff about cold crashing either. Plus, it conditions quickly so you get to drink it sooner.

My first couple of BIAB brews were SMASHs. This gives you a good idea of what flavours you can get from different malts and hops as well as the effect of mash temperature etc. Amarillo and Maris Otter is a lovely combination. This weekend I am looking at doing a Maris Otter and EKG SMASH. My approach was to aim for a mash temp between 60 and 70C and just make beer while I tuned in my system.

Whatever you go with it will be awesome!

I would agree with doing a smash, once you have worked out what different malt flavors you like then tackle the big ones.

baby steps first then you will be a real expert later on with a good foundation

I'm going to weigh in and say the same as everybody else...do a SMaSH. :) One of my favourites is Smurto's English IPA, although I guess technically it's not a SMaSH as it has a small amount of chocolate, it's bloody beautiful.

OT - shouldn't this be in the AG section?

do a smash, but add a wee bit of crystal to round it out i say

Latest posts

Back