Base malts for new AG BIABer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you have registered with Brewman, open BrewBuilder, there are a couple of hundred good well tested recipes in there.
If you ordered your specialty malts hops and yeast, you could get all the ingredients other than the base malts landed pretty cheap.
If you ordered 4-5 packs (- base malt) freight wouldn't be too bad, I think its something like $15 for 5kg and $20 for 10kg to your door, so only a couple of dollars per recipe in delivery.
Just remember to click on the "Got It" button for base malts and any hops you already have.
Mark

Pretty much exactly what I do bang out a few recipes with the brewbuilder keeping it under 10kg then order the base grain as required to cover them. Works well and saves a lot of messing around when ordering and brewing, do spend a lot of time making up recipes on brewbuilder when I'm bored at work however.

Nice advice guys, just what I was after, a couple of bags in stock, plus a kilo of this n that.
That's how I've got mine stored. The base malts each sit in their own 60L water container shaped like a fermenter, I have 5-10kg of Munich II in a 10L handy pail from the big green shed, and I usually buy other specialty malts in 2 or 3kg amounts that sit in 5L handy pails. I have about 8 or 9 with various grains in them. It's been built up over time though, I didn't go out and buy 15 different grains straight up.

It does make things easy on brew days though since I have a mill as well, I just weigh out what I need from the grains and mill it as needed.

Brewbuilder is great. If I lived in the area and didn't have a mill, I'd use it. When I moved to Kyogle and my brew house was still mostly in boxes Steve sent me a Tooheys Old lookalike and it was probably the best dark ale I've made.

So, getting close to brew day.
BIAB in a 50 ltr. Keg
Heated by 3 ring LPG burner.
Available Ingredients;
Maris Otter
Crystal medium
Dr Rudi hops
Idaho 7 hops
Safale s 04

Tried playing with beersmith but...
Looking to do a SMaSH with probably the dr Rudi, as that seems to me more suited for bittering.
Probably just going for a post boil volume of 23- 25ltrs.
Going to No chill
So looking for someone to knock up a basic recipe:bigcheers:

here you go. a very simple American Pale Ale Smash with plenty of late additions and a big dry hop to give you a nice hoppy pale ale. I've set your efficiency at 65% but it might come out a bit stronger/weaker depending on how you go. 65% should be easily achievable. This will give you a 4.8% ABV beer.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: BrockHops' First BIAB
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 33.32 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.94 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 15.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 44.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 95.5 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75 (Bairds) (147. Grain 2 4.5 %
10.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.4 IBUs
40.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 27.6 IBUs
50.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5. Hop 5 5.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 6 -
100.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Total Grain Weight: 5.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In 67.0 C 60 min

Assume that Dr Rudi is there only as bittering and you want a cream ale or some single bittering type ale:

5kg Maris Otter
200g Crystal medium

25g Dr Rudi at 40 minutes (which with no chill is effectively 60m) to 25IBU.

s04 will be adequate, I'd go MJ M44.

Mash in at 63 degrees. single infusion. Not sure if you are 'true' BIAB (no sparge) or not, but adjust your volume of water according to what you want to do. I've given up sparging unless I'm trying to push how much I get from the urn. So my volume generally sits around 32L mash in (for 23-25L) at about 69 degrees strike temp which gets you to the 63 for mash temp.

here you go. a very simple American Pale Ale Smash with plenty of late additions and a big dry hop to give you a nice hoppy pale ale. I've set your efficiency at 65% but it might come out a bit stronger/weaker depending on how you go. 65% should be easily achievable. This will give you a 4.8% ABV beer.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: BrockHops' First BIAB
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 33.32 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.94 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 15.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 44.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 95.5 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75 (Bairds) (147. Grain 2 4.5 %
10.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.4 IBUs
40.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 27.6 IBUs
50.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5. Hop 5 5.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 6 -
100.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Total Grain Weight: 5.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In 67.0 C 60 min
Thanks Coodgee
Is that hop schedule good for No chill?
Also I've only ordered 5 kg MO...
Should just drop the OG a touch

oh right no chill... delete the 20 minute addition an just add 10 grams at the start of the boil and 50 grams at flame out. will give you about 46 IBU. which is on the bitter end of the scale. you could remove the 10 grams entirely at the start of the boil to bring it down to 35 IBU. This is assuming the Dr. Rudi is 11% AA which it probably isn't. can you advise? Just go 5kg marris otter and 250g crystal. That will give you a target original gravity of 1.047 in 23 litres for a 4.5% beer.

Assume that Dr Rudi is there only as bittering and you want a cream ale or some single bittering type ale:

5kg Maris Otter
200g Crystal medium

25g Dr Rudi at 40 minutes (which with no chill is effectively 60m) to 25IBU.

s04 will be adequate, I'd go MJ M44.

Mash in at 63 degrees. single infusion. Not sure if you are 'true' BIAB (no sparge) or not, but adjust your volume of water according to what you want to do. I've given up sparging unless I'm trying to push how much I get from the urn. So my volume generally sits around 32L mash in (for 23-25L) at about 69 degrees strike temp which gets you to the 63 for mash temp.

Thanks Lord!

mate no chill BIAB is so easy you will surprise yourself how easy it is and particularly since you are not stressing about hitting any precise numbers. You'll make great beer!

Yes, careful with the Dr Rudi, it used to be called Super Alpha (that should be a warning) but it was renamed in honour of the guy who founded some hop institute in NZ way back. Great hop but go easy on the bittering addition.

Have made a couple brews now using Marris Otter and roughly 5% crystal, using this as a base to mess around with hops. Nice and simple and does make good beer.

Have made a couple brews now using Marris Otter and roughly 5% crystal, using this as a base to mess around with hops. Nice and simple and does make good beer.
I do the same except add in about 9-10% Munich II as well. It is my standard APA malt bill but has also been an excellent base for trying out new hops on their own.

Give the so4 a good start in life, if you grow it in a couple or three liters wort made from dry malt extract it will ferment better and to a lower FG

Latest posts

Back