Base malts for new AG BIABer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to choose one base malt for ales, it would be Golden Promise, my second choice in most English ales and first choice in most American ales. I don't get the two-row thing, and at current exchange rates the Briess stuff is very costly. In wheat malt I've had good luck with JW. Their export pils is good too, but my heart belongs to floor-malted Bopils.

Manticle-

What I mean is I don't understand the recommendation from BJCP and other sources that Ameriican 2-row malt and the like are preferable for American ales. I suppose the idea is to highlight the hops, but even among US craft brewers there's much argument on that count.

If you go on US home brew sites you find a lot of recipes that call for 2-row and then throw Victory, crystal, dextrin malts, Gambrinus honey malt. That's not exactly highlighting the hops.

I've tried that approach but would rather get balancing malt flavours mainly from the base malt. My favorite APA uses Golden Promise, about 8% Gladfield toffee, and only Mosaic hops. Founders in the US does a very popular AIPA Smash with just GP and Mosaic.

I always thought that's distinguishing from 6 row because that's easily available there too.

All Australian and UK barleys are two row (unless someone is growing imported six row which I doubt).

I'd guess American two row is about the equivalent of our Joe White and Barrett Burston - as opposed to varieties like GP or MO.

In brewing terms, the biggest difference between 2 and 6 row malt is the protein content. The protein content of 6-row makes it nearly impossible to get clear beer (haze is inevitable) so they dilute the grist with low protein rice or maize grist (degermed to lower oil and protein).
Fortunately for makers of mega swill, although the yield from 6-row is lower, the higher protein means higher enzyme content, so they can use more cheaper adjunct.
Haven't yet found an American malt that is worth the cost, for the same money UK and German... from a great height and most Australian base malt is as good or better than US equivalent.
Mark

Well , just having a slurp while waiting for my test boil on my keggle.
Brew day tomorrow and I'm not to proud to say I'm a bit excited haha.
Haven't fab'd up a kettle and burner frame yet, so she's balanced on the obligatory bessa bricks.
Cheers for the light reading :bigcheers:

If I had to choose one base malt for ales, it would be Golden Promise, my second choice in most English ales and first choice in most American ales. I don't get the two-row thing, and at current exchange rates the Briess stuff is very costly. In wheat malt I've had good luck with JW. Their export pils is good too, but my heart belongs to floor-malted Bopils.

I think that you're all missing the point of Yankinoz's post...everyone seems to have taken it as a statement about 2 row vs 6 row. His/her second post highlights what he/she was talking about - that it was a statement about not understanding the widespread recommendation and use of a malt that lacks in character, yet then going and adding specialty malts to increase malt/biscuit/caramel flavours. It's pointing out that instead of using 2 row and spec malts, why don't they just use more characterful base malts like MO or GP?

Not missing the point personally so much as asking for clarification.

Gp is 2 row, mo is 2 row and I'm pretty sure yankinoz knows that too.

I should have clarified my original comment. Trade terminology is confusing on this count. Most malts in world trade are from 2 row barley and are therefore two-row malts, but "two-row" is also an old trade term (mostly but not only in North America) for a lightly kilned malt. It's blander than most other ale malts. Several suppliers in Australia sell the Briess version as "two row." Gladfield offers a similar "Americxan ale malt."

images

Back