Base Grains For Tassie Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJO

Reaction score
Hi Tassie Grain Brewers,

As you know BBY is closing and since they supply 25kg bags of grain to home brewers, here in Hobart and to other parts of the state, we are looking at losing the supply of base grains.

I'm planning a grain bulk buy for some time around March, and I would like to see if there is enough interest to make it worthwhile.

We can do it through Ross but we would need a minimum 20 bags and freight would add around $10 to each bag. I have made contact with another supplier and don't need to order a minimum of 20 but will still need to order enough to reduce the proportional freight cost.

I estimate that we would only need around 15+ bags ordered to make it cost effective. As an idea of the price please take a look at Ross's Prices. Add ~$12 to the "minimum 20" sack price and you will be close to the mark.
Of course with more bags it becomes a bit cheaper.

Another catch is that this supplier doesn't supply Barret-Burston malts, they have Joe White instead at around the same price as Ross has for Baret-Burston. They do have Bairds and Weyermann though (I can supply more info on the grains available just let me know).

Please indicate how many bags and which malts you would be interested in.

I personally would be in for around 4 bags; W. Pils, W.BoPils, W.Vienna, JW.Pils. This would get me through a years worth of brewing.

Also for you non-Tasmanian brewers, any donations to the "Grains for Tassie Home Brewers Appeal" can be made to me . ;)

Cheers,
Petr

Petr,
Have you checked the freight cost and palleted size of 20 bags of grain?

The pallet I sent was only 700mm high, normal pallet sze for the footprint 1150x1150mm.

Hi Petr,
I would be intersted in
2 X JW Pils
2 X Bairds MO
1 X W Bo Pils

Cheers
Chris

Petr,
Have you checked the freight cost and palleted size of 20 bags of grain?

The pallet I sent was only 700mm high, normal pallet sze for the footprint 1150x1150mm.

I did ring a couple of places, standard pallet, 800mm high costs around $162-165 inc GST.
If it was 1000mm high then cost is $180-185 inc GST.

I figured 15 bags of grain would not be higher than this. I simply divided the $185 by 15 to get the $12 bucks per bag for freight, but if the pallet is less than 1000mm high then it will be cheaper by a dollar or so.

Cheers,
Petr

Hi Petr,
I would be intersted in
2 X JW Pils
2 X Bairds MO
1 X W Bo Pils

That's great Chris,

What would be the best way to get 125kg of grain to you in SmithVegas??

Cheers
Petr

Fellas, have the operation and move to the mainland, that way you will not have to pay cartage. :p

Rook

That's great Chris,

What would be the best way to get 125kg of grain to you in SmithVegas??

Cheers
Petr

The easiest way would be for me to slip down to Hobart when they come in. Always looking for excuses to come down to the bright lights.

Fellas, have the operation and move to the mainland, that way you will not have to pay cartage. :p

Rook

Prefer to keep mine so I can spot the mainlanders sneaking up from behind! ;)

Surprisingly, these days there are quite a few mainlanders trying to grow one.

Cheers,
Petr

The easiest way would be for me to slip down to Hobart when they come in. Always looking for excuses to come down to the bright lights.

Yeah would be a nice trip back too, with 5 extra passengers. :)

We'll organise it around you then.

PJO

Rook

Why would I want to do that, I would have to give up all the
crayfish,
abalone,
Mutton birds
King Island cheese,
grass feed beef
fresh air
and most importantly rain. :D

Cartage is a small price to pay for quality of life

Why would I want to do that, I would have to give up all the
crayfish,
abalone,
Mutton birds
King Island cheese,
grass feed beef
fresh air
and most importantly rain. :D

Cartage is a small price to pay for quality of life

Speaking of King Island. The bloke that took over our one pub town had a restaurant on King island, he expects farmers to pay 32 bucks for a King Island imported Steak....no wonder he is going bust..

Rook

Yeah would be a nice trip back too, with 5 extra passengers. :)

We'll organise it around you then.

PJO

When we go ahead I will fit in around everyone else. Easily done!!
Chris

Hi guys,

I'd definitely be interested if a bulk buy goes ahead - probably after 4 bags or so.

Cheers,

Morrie

Hi guys,

I'd definitely be interested if a bulk buy goes ahead - probably after 4 bags or so.

Cheers,

Morrie

Well if your in for 4 bags then it looks like it will go ahead-
TasChris - 5 bags
Morrie - 4 bags
John (via PM)- 3 bags
Me - 4 bags

16 already and I reckon there will be a few more in the pipeline (DJR has indicated interest).

Keep 'em coming.

Cheers,
PJO

Sign me up for three bags:

1x Wey Premium Pils
1x Bairds Perle ale
1x JWM Wheat

If anyone wants to split bags, i will split a 1/3 or 1/2 a bag of Munich or Vienna, Weyermann preferred

If we get to 20 bags now, can we do the order now? (keen to get brewing!!)

Back