Barrel siphon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattox

Reaction score
So as a few of us went into a barrel bulk-buy a bit over twelve months ago, there came a need recently where the beer needed to come out of the barrel and into kegs. Say hello to the Bulldog - a pressurised barrel siphon!

Parts list:
1x 1/2in NPT 4way cross
2x 1/2x1/4in NPT reducing bush
1x 1/4x9/32 npt bulkhead
1x corny post with internals and o-rings
1x stainless 3/8" siphon tube
1x beer engine keg outlet fitting (black one)
2x hose clamp
1x 2x triclover with 1/2" npt threaded end
1x 2" triclover clamp
1x bung, hole drilled out to ~14mm
1x 2-5psi 1/4" NPT pressure relief valve
1x 1/2 x 3/8" compression fitting
1x 3/8" o-ring

Build:

See photos. Thread seal everything with plumbers tape. If you're a silly bloke like me you accidentally got a BSP compression fitting instead of NPT, so go ahead and get a BSPP female to NPT male adapter in 1/2".

View attachment 95381
Finished part

View attachment 95382

How it works: insert bung into barrel's bung hole, connect gas to inlet fitting. Gas flows in, pressurises barrel (apparently they can handle up to 15psi, I use a 5psi PRV to avoid this.

Connect keg to keg fitting, sanitise everything, leave lid on top sanitised to allow opening/level checking and siphon!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487040907.653643.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487040922.517450.jpg

Kind of beats my idea

drill two holes in a bung, slightly smaller than beer/gas line

place bung in cup of boiled water

push lines through bung whilst hot

If you convert that to AUD the price difference wouldn't be that much, the pressure relief valve was the most expensive part. I think it ran me $40, the rest of the gear maybe $50-60. Most of the damage was in shipping but if I had my time again I would get everything that came from the US into one package at the freight forwarding company.

Latest posts

Back