Barons Brewing Co

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think of the beer, though?

Only tried the Pale Ale - it was OK - I am a fan of Murrays Nirvana so tend to use this as a benchmark for pale ales - don't get me wrong, good beer is good beer, serve it to me in what ever you like and call it what you want!

<rant>

Argh! Neither Snowy Mountains nor Lucky are "breweries". They are BRANDS brewed at AIB or other contract brewing operations. A batch of "Cuba '59" a batch of "Baltika" and a batch of whatever else is on the roster. Alcopops next door, please.

Sorry, but unless you've been in there day in and day out scrubbing drains, driving the forklift, hauling sacks of malt and making the beer start to finish please stop calling yourself a brewer. If you haven't done the hard yards to raise the capital, put it all together and keep all that equipment running YOU ARE NOT A BREWERY - YOU ARE A BEER DISTRIBUTOR. At least be honest with your customers and tell them who makes your beer for you instead of hiding behind a PO Box and a glossy marketing campaign.

</rant>

<rant>
Sorry, but unless you've been in there day in and day out scrubbing drains, driving the forklift, hauling sacks of malt and making the beer start to finish please stop calling yourself a brewer. If you haven't done the hard yards to raise the capital, put it all together and keep all that equipment running YOU ARE NOT A BREWERY - YOU ARE A BEER DISTRIBUTOR. At least be honest with your customers and tell them who makes your beer for you instead of hiding behind a PO Box and a glossy marketing campaign.
</rant>
Who gives a? Either you like the beer or you don't. It don't matter who makes it, if you don't like it, don't drink it. I don't care what they call themselves, I like the Razorback red ale and would happily drink it whether brewed at AIB, Barons new facility, at Tooheys brewery or at Matilda Bay, as long as it tastes the same. I find the Pale Ale too hoppy, but that's a matter of personal preference (I find LCPA too hoppy as well, theres no malt flavour just hops).

I think it's important to know where your food comes from. Increasingly these days, with supermarkets and home delivery convenience, we have lost connection with the source of our food and we no longer know how it gets processed into what we eat (and drink). These things, provenance and traceability, I think are critical bits of information that have been deliberately removed from the consumer. Long before I read The 100 Mile Diet, it had become really important to me to find out who grows my spuds, who raised the pork I ate and how it was done. And as beer is a such big part of my diet, it's important to me to at least try to find out what I can about what I drink. So today, I'm heading across town to Central City Brewing to speak with brewer Gary Lohin about his beers (which account for about half my daily calorific intake... :unsure: )

Brew your own beer, grow your own veges and keep your own chooks. For everything else, ask as many questions as you can and if you're not getting the right answers, choose another product. Phone Baron's and ask to visit their brewery and speak with their brewer. If you get brushed off, walk past their products at the bottle-o and select something else.

Who gives a? Either you like the beer or you don't. It don't matter who makes it, if you don't like it, don't drink it. I don't care what they call themselves, I like the Razorback red ale and would happily drink it whether brewed at AIB, Barons new facility, at Tooheys brewery or at Matilda Bay, as long as it tastes the same. I find the Pale Ale too hoppy, but that's a matter of personal preference (I find LCPA too hoppy as well, theres no malt flavour just hops).

Actual craft brewers give an a. Contract beers and faux micros are piggybacking on the growing popularity of craft brewing. Part of the craft beer "brand" is the general understanding that these beers are being hand crafted by independent companies. By misrepresenting themselves as being from a particular region (e.g. Byron Bay and Snowy Mountains) or being made by "a couple of blokes in the shed" they are eroding the trust of consumers when those consumers find out that the beers are made at a different location by a large company.

Yes, they make some good beers. Same with James Squire (Lion Nathan) and Matilda Bay (Fosters). I enjoy their beers, but wish that they would be more honest about their provenance.

wish that they would be more honest about their provenance.

An addendum to that: The ACCC finally stepped in and forced "imports" that are actually brewed domestically (e.g. Stella, Heineken, Guiness) to state so on their labels. I think the same ruling should be applied to contract beers.

Brewdog IPA at about $55 a case. Really nice beer.
I love this beer! :icon_drool2:

Funny this thread pops up after having a couple of Barons Pale Ales ($3 a schooner happy hour!) and Snowy Pale Ales. Both decent beers, I think I prefer the Snowy though.

i just rang Warners at the bay to see if they had any in stock, anmd they said it was $117 a case :icon_vomit:

I have tried snowy mountains off tap and found it excellent. However, I do give a. Liking the beer is irrelevant, the Mr Vorlauf's issue is these brands labelling themselves as breweries. Which, they are clearly not.

Whoever told you is incorrect. Barons' head brewer developed the recipes and works on the Barons brew days at AIB.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've always enjoyed the Barons pale regardless of where it was made.

... it had become really important to me to find out who grows my spuds, who raised the pork I ate and how it was done. And as beer is a such big part of my diet, it's important to me to at least try to find out what I can about what I drink. ...
OK its made under contract by AIB. We already know that, so what is the real issue here?

The issue for me is that I do give a. and as you quoted: it's important to me to at least try to find out what I can about what I drink, and that's really hard to do if you don't know where the beer comes from. In the case of Baron's, you're right, I didn't buy or drink the beers because I never really enjoyed them. No problem. In the case of Redoak, I stopped buying their beer because it's impossible to find out anything about them and how they are made.

If you love , you will drink it! this topic has turned into girls pulling each others hair, who cares were its made, as long as it good.........

Tell you what... if LCPA was made by mutant evil gnomes in the back of a firetruck on Lankawi Island.. I would still drink it, because it tastes good. And if they didn't tell me where it was made, I wouldn't care. What I don't like, is when "Snowy Mountians", or "Byron Bay" are used in the product titles, but they have nothing to do with the product. It's all a fun game that they play, and I can't do anything about it, other than not drink it. Gotta say that it will be good when Baron's does start to make their own beer. They have always been completely honest about the fact that AIB makes the beer.

And if they didn't tell me where it was made, I wouldn't care.

But it is the end of the world if they tell you the wrong place?

I don't understand this at all.

But it is the end of the world if they tell you the wrong place?

I don't understand this at all.

No, it's not the end of the world.

However, it should be illegal to make a product called "Byron Bay Lager" and not brew it there. That's Misleading, bordering on criminal.

They get around the lies by printing in VERY small print that it's brewed by AIB.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, trust me :D

No, it's not the end of the world.

However, it should be illegal to make a product called "Byron Bay Lager" and not brew it there. That's Misleading, bordering on criminal.

They get around the lies by printing in VERY small print that it's brewed by AIB.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, trust me :D

Now u got me disapointed.........................Disapointed that tooheys white stag does'nt have a white stag in the bottle :angry: damn that false advertising,

Now u got me disapointed.........................Disapointed that tooheys white stag does'nt have a white stag in the bottle :angry: damn that false advertising,

You're taking the advertising the wrong way.

The beer doesn't contain a white stag, it gives you one.

Back