Barley Wine Bottling Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan79

Reaction score
hi all

I am going to try to make a barley wine soon.And want to force carb it in a keg before counter pressure bottle filling it, i also want to store it for an extended time. Do i chill the keg first and store it cold or carb it at room temp and cellar it as nomal.

Any info would be great.

thanks

hi all

I am going to try to make a barley wine soon.And want to force carb it in a keg before counter pressure bottle filling it, i also want to store it for an extended time. Do i chill the keg first and store it cold or carb it at room temp and cellar it as nomal.

Any info would be great.

thanks
Bloke , you will find that it is easier for gas to dissolve into solution when the beer is colder...
Having said that , the carbonation for a barley wine should be low to moderate...
Before you do make your barley wine , i'd suggest reading this
When you say you want to store it for an extended period of time , is that in the keg or the bottle ? ( last time i had a barley wine one was 4 yrs old , one was 5 )
If it were me , i'd bottle straight from the fermentor and be done with however , if you do want to keg it , don't carb it too much and i'd suggest bottling not long after you've carbed it , remembering low to moderate carb...and then put it into stubbies...
However , having read your post for the third time....chill the keg , carb it , store it cold and then cpbf when its cold...and drink your first stubbie 6 months later ....and one every 3 months !
Your patience will reward you !
Good luck bloke !!
Cheers
Ferg
Cheers
Ferg

I was going to bottle it and cellar it. i just thought i would get better control over carbonation fro the keg,but for all the hassle it might be easier just to bottled it straight from the fermenter.

thanks Ferg the brewer

I was going to bottle it and cellar it. i just thought i would get better control over carbonation fro the keg,but for all the hassle it might be easier just to bottled it straight from the fermenter.

thanks Ferg the brewer
Alan ,
You can also bulk prime , which does enable even more control over your carbonation . I honestly reckon bottling straight from the fermentor is the way to go..
I hope you have an opportunity to read that article ....it's really good
One thing I did with my English barleywine ( as opposed to American barley wine ) was to throw 5 pkts of Nottingham yeast at it...I should have given it another massive shake up at 18 hours to increase the Co2 but I didn't ...it's still tasting good but it's very very young ....It was also in the primary for a month ! No secondary !
Good luck with it
Cheers
Ferg

Latest posts

Back