Barley Crusher Hell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
djar007 said:
I wouldn't be putting my hand anywhere near it mate. Use a stick or a fork or something.
Whilst I definitely agree, your hand in the bottom of it is no where near as big a risk as in the top – the rollers at the bottom are rolling away from each other. DO NOT put your hands anywhere near the top.

I had a few problems when the second time I mounted my BC because the holes on the wood board to which I mounted the BC must not have been perfectly aligned with the BC. Thus when I tightened the BC to the board, it slightly distorted the body of the BC and this meant that the rollers would not move freely. When I loosened off the nuts, it would move freely again. Consequently I drilled larger holes in the mounting board that I attach the BC to so as to have a bit more play. Since I did this it works without any problems. I would suggest you detach the BC from the board and see if it works. if it does then you know what the problem is and I suggest you drill larger holes in the mounting board to give some play. Hope that helps.

And don't touchy the rollers when the thing is on, even from underneath: if you drill is accidentally in reverse your fingers will be crushed! It is just safer not put your fingers anywhere near the rollers.

I have had a few issues with mine not gripping the grain, but this has always been when changing grain types, especially from Aus to UK grain. A quick gap adjustment and I'm on my way.

fletcher said:
ack. i was just looking to get one of these in a week or two...but now i'm second guessing it.
Only "second guessing"? Based on comments in here If I were you I'd avoid it like the plague. Plenty of other mills out there that do a far better job.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

It's not exactly a cheapo item. Mine must be close to 10 years old and if I ( the operator ) make the correct adjustments for the grains I'm crushing ( raw wheat, spelt, euro pils, uk ales etc ), it has always worked fine.

A far better job, hmmm if my barley crusher crushes the grain how I want, which it does, it's no worse a job than any other mill is it?

I initially had similar problems with a 3 roller Monster mill.

The solution in my case was as QldKev and Black n Tan have described.

Make sure you have a little adjustment in the mounting holes so you can get the end plates parallel and let the nondriven roller run freely.

My 5c.....

G.

Latest posts

Back