barb to hose internal sizing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
So I've got some silicon hose that I need to get barbs bsp fitting for. I wasn't sure which size barb would be best.

The hose is 11.5mm inner dimensions and the two barbs I have to choose from are 12mm and 15mm.

Should I get the 12 so it closely matches or would the 15 be better and a tighter fit seeing the silicon would stretch anyway.

Thanks

Get some 12mm ones and some hose clamps (butterfly clamps if you want to remove the hose) or oetiker clamps if you know it's going on there until you have to cut it off.

Ive got 12mm barbs all over my 3V and not a hose clamp in sight, never had a hose pop off.. good to have just in case I guess, but Ive never needed to myself (yet)

15mm will be overkill and youll probably have trouble getting them off easily.

wide eyed and legless said:
You could get the 10 mm I/D hose soak in boiling water and push it on, nice tight fit.
He's already got the 1.5mm hose.

AND. Mr Legless

What happened to your old profile pic......it was much better

He might show up again, I only took it off because you Mr Grumpy complained you couldn't take anything I said seriously while Rab. C. Nessbit was my avatar.

wide eyed and legless said:
He might show up again, I only took it off because you Mr Grumpy complained you couldn't take anything I said seriously while Rab. C. Nessbit was my avatar.
did I really say that????

If you havent noticed - I don't take much seriously at all. (refer the current ill gotten keg thread)

Yob said:
Ive got 12mm barbs all over my 3V and not a hose clamp in sight, never had a hose pop off.. good to have just in case I guess, but Ive never needed to myself (yet)

15mm will be overkill and youll probably have trouble getting them off easily.
Worth noting that I have no hose clamps except on the suction from the mash tun. During mash out (i.e. when the silicone's hottest) occasionally I get some fine bubble through from the pump suction if I've let the mash bed settle too much.

Yob said:
This is a fib, and I have 4 witnesses to verify. Though technically it probably wasn't Yob's barb or hose. I still blame him though.
Always put a clamp on the hose used to drain a post-boil 200L kettle, as getting sprayed with boiling hot wort can be a lot less fun than it sounds.
Also true that it wasn't Yob that got sprayed, so i guess technically it's correct that he never needed the clamp...

Latest posts

Back