Barack Obama's A Homebrewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
From yesterday's Good Living liftout in the Sydney Morning Herald:

"Guests at Barack Obama's superbowl party had a choice of beer to match their team loyalties. Those that wanted to remain neutral could quaff the presidential home-brew, White House Honey Ale. It included honey harvested from beehives in the White House garden. The president paid for the home-brewing gear and there were no leftovers."

From yesterday's Good Living liftout in the Sydney Morning Herald:

"Guests at Barack Obama's superbowl party had a choice of beer to match their team loyalties. Those that wanted to remain neutral could quaff the presidential home-brew, White House Honey Ale. It included honey harvested from beehives in the White House garden. The president paid for the home-brewing gear and there were no leftovers."

**** that's it I'm quitting brewing. :angry:

:icon_cheers:

Paul

I would love to have an apiary and use my honey in homebrew. I mentioned at Darlo Brewshare I'd like to try a blonde ale through a honeycombed randell.

Mind you, it was the chef brewing the beer, not the prez. He has more pressing matters to deal with.

Mind you, it was the chef brewing the beer, not the prez. He has more pressing matters to deal with.

I would have thought he had too much on his plate to be doing it himself.

I can just imagine the meeting with the joint chiefs of staff...

Obama "Hang on a sec fellas. It's pretty hot today so I just have to duck out and replace the frozen PET I'm using to keep my fermentation temps down. I have to buy myself a fridgemate one of these days"

I was thinking the bunker thing, except that it would probably be super stable temps down there. Presidential barrel ale project, perhaps Yeltsin could come around and help stir the mash.

Besides, Gorbachev seems more like the sort of Russian who would be willing to help a brewer out.

Might be a bit hard. He's in a pine box these days.
I dunno, I've heard that in Soviet Russia, yeast rouses YOU.

YakovSuit_small.jpg

naa man he's got it in the bunker with all the Nukes... probably using the shell of a ballistic missle as a connical...

Nukular Ale :lol:

Is that were the Brew Dog boys make the Tactical Nuclear Penguin?
Now just to find a Penguin HAHAHAHA!

Drew

ThAts a different story to the others around. There was previously no mention of the prez paying for the kit. It was one of the Whitehouse chef's who made the beer. Haves google around, old news.

Uses English hops and yeast...the Republicans will probably crucify him as 'un-American'.

(Could be worse I suppose...he could have used Kenya Goldings...)

Interesting video of the chefs in the White House kitchen making the beer too!

The prez is only doing partials? :rolleyes:

indeed, after all the hoo-ha, and Obama making a point to say he paid for all the equipment himself, it turns out to be nothing more than a saucepan and a water barrel.

If the US President is commanding partials, then I have lost my faith in the free world.

We made a 45 litre all grain version of Obama's Porter and it is delicious

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 45.0
Total Grain (kg): 10.570
Total Hops (g): 90.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.62 %
Colour (SRM): 23.4 (EBC): 46.1
Bitterness (IBU): 29.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
7.000 kg American 2-Row (66.23%)
1.000 kg Crystal 20 (9.46%)
1.000 kg Honey (9.46%)
0.700 kg Munich I (6.62%)
0.420 kg Roasted Barley (3.97%)
0.250 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (2.37%)
0.200 kg Chocolate (1.89%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
30.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
30.0 g Hallertau Aroma Pellet (8.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with Safale 05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Back