Bar Swap: '1st Time For Everything'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been threatening on the last couple of BAR meets that I would make the trip east and I think it's about time I actually did it! I am also planning on heading to the VIC swap so it would be good to know at least a few faces when I get there!

Always good to meet a new brewer, this is shaping up pretty well. Even the weather looks like it will be on our side.

Sat 28 April I cannot attend.

I look forward to catching up with you beared blokes again sometime.

That can still be arranged one way or another.

A very close friend of mine has recently bought a house (warehouse) with his lady and will be warming the house that very evening. There may be meats that have been cold smoked for 14 hours available.

Sorry ladies and gentlemen.

Sorry to hear manticle. Will see you at another gathering no doubt.
Mines in the bottle. Will need a little bit of time to carb.
Should have a keg of something there too.

And i was hoping to get your opinion on a recent attempt at a Saison Manticle...

I'll be bringing a few different examples of mine you can compare with. Although I am a simple hedonist when tasting beer and not really concerned with style.

I'll have two 9L kegs and a range of bottled goodies.

I'll be bringing a few different examples of mine you can compare with. Although I am a simple hedonist when tasting beer and not really concerned with style.

I'll have two 9L kegs and a range of bottled goodies.

This is probably the only beer i have tried to brew to style, but I'll bank your feedback even if it is just...

"Muscovy! WTF is this sh#t!" Or " Wow I really enjoy the subtle phenols from your high ferment temp combined with subtle spice and bitterness and a crisp dry finish...delectable Muscovy!"

Apologies...sleep deprived...the 10 week old put me through my paces last night!
Getting excited for my first swap.

manticle, might see you next time.

I will send a pm next week with our address for those who haven't been here.

I've got 4 x 19 and 2 x 9 litre kegs ready to go as well as what everyone else brings, so I think we'll be right for beer :D

We can get a rotating keg thing going so everyone can try everyone's kegged beers.

I don't have anything for my beer engine, so if anyone has, bring it for sure.

I don't have anything for my beer engine, so if anyone has, bring it for sure.

One of my kegs would be improved tenfold going through the engine...it is a hybrid English bitter, lowish abv, low carbonation. Out of the bottle it is still tasting a bit young, but hopefully the 9L in the keg has conditioned more rapidly. I will gladly keep it at a low carbonation if I can run it through the pump for a few pints.

I think I have pm'd everyone the address for this Saturday, if I missed you let me know.

Anyone else who is interested in becoming part of B.A.R. Brewers or just wants feedback on Beer they have brewed,bring a couple along and talk to some keen brewers.

Received all the details and looking forward to Saturday.
Beers are ready and drinkable, probable would drink raspberry sooner than later or refridgerate. It has a good amount of carb now, and with not having any experience with fruit beers am a bit worried of the fruit still fermenting and don't want it to overcarb.
Cheers and see everyone soon :beer:

Just taking my name off the list. Need to direct my energies to the home front and my beer really needs more conditioning than time will allow.
Was keen to sample some interesting sounding beers about.
Have a good weekend !

1 Wakkatoo: English something or another. Might play around with some dry hopping.
2 Kleiny Maentime IPA inspired english IPA
3 Lecterfan - a medium dark ale that snubs its nose at styles and categories but that aims to taste nice and provide a smooth alcoholic kick.
4 Herbo - Dunkelweizen
6 Beastie ?????
7 Vic45 Cascadian Dark Ale
8 pommie_granite - 'tis the Saison
9 Muscovy: Vienna Ale (Bottled today!)
11 mmmyummybeer - Raspberry Redundancy, and or DCM Choc Orange Porter
12 Vic13

1 Wakkatoo: English something or another. Might play around with some dry hopping.
2 Kleiny Maentime IPA inspired english IPA
3 Lecterfan - a medium dark ale that snubs its nose at styles and categories but that aims to taste nice and provide a smooth alcoholic kick.
4 Herbo - Dunkelweizen
6 Beastie ?????
7 Vic45 Cascadian Dark Ale
8 pommie_granite - 'tis the Saison
9 Muscovy: Vienna Ale (Bottled today!)
11 mmmyummybeer - Raspberry Redundancy, and or DCM Choc Orange Porter
12 Vic13

If there are any last minute contributors, slot your self in at either 5 or 10. For everybody else, make sure you number your bottles with the number beside your name as it appears above.

Funny how in the original post I had it set at 12 swappers, it then got bigger and now we are back to 10 <_<

Looking forward to it. My keg contribution was really nice out of the fermenter yesterday, should be carbed up nicely for saturday.

My swap beer however will need another 2 weeks in a warm spot.

See you saturday evening.

OOPS! I just slipped and poured a pint of my mid strength, darkish English bitter/ruby red ale from the keg. I really must be careful as I reckon I might slip again tonight. I am very happy with it; if it goes through the pump it will be...and you can feel free to quote me on this...******* delicious.

edit - changed the description as it meets no AABC/BJCP and thus don't want to create preconceptions, but it is lovely. Particularly looking forward to see of it passes the Buninyong, Lal Lal and Garibaldi test for English maltiness.

Absolute, unmoving, freaking bright green light still for me this Saturday so looking forward to meeting some keen brewers from Ballarat and surrounds.....arguably, where all the best looking brewers reside.

And I would totally jump on those swap spaces but I really don't think I am doing any favours by putting my only beer at the moment (a Kolsch) in a bottle before it has had at least 4 weeks lagering.

Cheers,
MM

For us the whole 'swap' concept is really just keeping an eye out for what the other guys are up to more than anything. Speaking on behalf of myself (and possibly Vic13 :party: ) we are there to drink beer, talk beer, talk shit...pretty much in that order. The 'swap' thing is fun because we can taste what person x is doing with his new mashtun, what has herms done to person x's brews, how is person y dealing with water additions etc.

For me the swaps are part of an ongoing narrative, or discourse perhaps, with the other guys' beer... I have an idea what to expect from so-and-so, how does this beer compare to the last (because obviously we mostly bring our good beers, although the brave and honest often bring their average beers for feedback/fault identification).

My aim is to outdo myself each time and I am hoping there will be a few nods of approval from certain (different) members in regards to my 2 different saisons, harvest pale ale and the aforementioned light brown, reddish malty mid strength quaffer.

First time I haven't just turned up with a %7 hoppy AIPA haha. I intend to go to the Melb swap also, so depending on the norn's tapestry we might be able to work out a shared travel situation given how far the solo journey would be for you.

...oh and I think you must need to keep heading West for the good looking brewers, there's not much eye-candy in our group :blink:

Looking forward to bringing my own birthday cake.
Green light so far for me, unless their is some unforeseen family event. (Possible with my fresh 10 week old)
Given it is my first swap, consider it my formative years...consider me brave and honest!

I absolutely agree, Lecter.

When I lived in Sydney, I frequently met with a small group of Western Sydney Brewers and besides the great beer that was always on offer, the best part was seeing the improvement to all the brewers skills each month. One of them even got so good at it that he went pro and is now head brewer at Riverside Brewing Company in Sydney.

Even though ones own pleasure in the beer one creates is supreme, it's always good to hear it from others too!

But the again...others might be more secure than I. :)

Should be a good event lads. My swap beer is good to drink now so I'll have a few to open this weekend. Also got some other random stuff to taste.

I've got a low octane (as in lowish IBU) citra IPA where I split the wort in two and fermented one with US-05 and the other with Wyeast American Ale II, same ferment temp, same time fermenting, etc. I'm not sure if there's much difference but will have both to taste and see if anyone notes any difference.

Minimum of 7 degrees Saturday night, pretty mild for the 'rat :lol:

:icon_chickcheers:

Dusted the tent off and got batteries for the air mattie pump... mixed crate of longies... shit yeeeeah

:party:

Latest posts

Back