Bar Room Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdbrown

Reaction score
Hey folks,

All moved into to the new place last weekend and whilst most of the stuff still remains in boxes I thought I might as well start planning out a bar. Have a room set aside for the task and just looking for some advice, perhaps typical measurements, things to consider and must haves.

The room is 5.6m long (north and south walls) and 3m wide (east and west walls). There's a set of french doors and two windows on the south wall, other walls nothing. Door is eastern end of the south wall. See the attached sketch.

Was thinking having a straight bar up towards the western end of the room, perhaps leaving enough space behind for myself to get in there for drinks, some shelves mounted to the wall for spirits, maybe a glass fronted bar fridge or two and a sink. Glassware and other drinks could go under the bar. There's a sink and hardwood counter top in the granny flat which I could use for this application.

I've seen around the place that bar height is usually about 1.1m but don't really say a minimum depth of the countertop. Thinking about 60cm. I've got quite a few fonts which I'll mount along with a beer engine so will probably go for a shelf below the bartop for these to mount to otherwise they could be too tall. The freezer with a collar is going to be about 1.1m so the bartop will probably need to be forward of that or increase the height.

Anyway just looking for some comments and suggestions.

Cheers
-cdbrown

View attachment Bar_room.pdf

Are you looking to fit a pool table, couches, table tennis or pinball machines in there?

I would go a simple straight bar with plenty of room for various fonts and your beer engine. This leaves a heap of room for whatever else you want to have in your man cave! B)

Other items to consider:
  • Running hot and cold water
  • Power point locations
  • Sink / drain pipe - link to sewer
  • Storage under bar - additional bar fridges (fermenting/lagering), etc?
  • Bar stools on other side for mates?
  • Using it for serving only or standing and playing barman?
  • Clock
  • Music/surround sound
  • A/C, insultation

Just a few ideas/suggestions to add to the dream bar list. :)

And one of those retro table top arcade machines... Always wanted one of those!

Photo's mate!! Much easier to get a visual, along with the floor plan. My 2c.

Every Champion Brewer and Bar Room needs one of these...

:lol:

Goat.jpg

Are you looking to fit a pool table, couches, table tennis or pinball machines in there?

I would go a simple straight bar with plenty of room for various fonts and your beer engine. This leaves a heap of room for whatever else you want to have in your man cave! B)

Other items to consider:
  • Running hot and cold water
  • Power point locations
  • Sink / drain pipe - link to sewer
  • Storage under bar - additional bar fridges (fermenting/lagering), etc?
  • Bar stools on other side for mates?
  • Using it for serving only or standing and playing barman?
  • Clock
  • Music/surround sound
  • A/C, insultation

Just a few ideas/suggestions to add to the dream bar list. :)

+1 to all these things,

you might also want to think about data outlets if you want a PC to act as a jukebox (that's just what' I'd do.)

But it looks like you've got a pretty good setup there.

Also, get a fooseball table, thank me later. THEY ROCK!

Thanks for the replys. Took a few photos this morning. Excuse the mess as we only just moved in on the weekend. All brewing will be done in the shed area next to the bar so no need for fermenting fridges.

Have a near complete MAME arcade machine for gaming. Panel suits 4 players. The machine will also be a jukebox and will put some speakers up in the room as well as outside. The wall mounted tv will be connected to the audio system. Any data I need to transfer to the MAME pc will be done by portable hard drives or the 8gb usb sticks I have. Prefer not to run cat5 cables back to the router in the house. Wireless dongle might work. Would love to get a pinball machine but it wouldn't really fit in the room with the arcade machine.

No couches inside the room, but maybe some sort of bench seat outside the bar.

There is hot/cold water provided to the granny flat so wouldn't be hard for a plumber to run some lines around the back of the structure and connect it to a tap.

There's a couple of plugs and with a powerboard will be enough.

Drainage could go to a small garden bed or run back to other end of structure.

Split system A/C already there and working. Mounted on the north wall (that's pressed tin in the picture)

There will be storage under the bar for things like CO2 bottle, glasses, conditioning bottles, other spirits and most likely wine that doesn't fit on a rack. If I go for the sink against the west wall and utilitise the bench from the granny flat, then will most likly put a bar fridge under that. Then on top have the spirit bottles. Will put a shelf up for the "top shelf" scotch collection.

Bar will be suited for sitting on bar stools so will make the bar top have an overhang so you can get your knees underneath.

Will be a barman type bar with area behind for me to serve drinks, plus a stool so I can sit and enjoy as well. Will add some heavy duty hinges to the list so I can have the end part of the bar top to flip up, allowing access behind the bar (just like a pub).

Cheer
-cdbrown

outside.jpg

west_wall.jpg

east_wall.jpg

north_wall.jpg

south_wall.jpg

floor.jpg

ceiling.jpg

Looks like floorboards on the ceiling - trippy! :huh:

Yeah - previous owners had a salvage business of some sort and used a lot of salvaged gear when they built that room, adjacent shed and granny flat. Floor board roof makes it quite rustic and reminds me of a small old english pub.

About the scotch you plan to put on a shelf - is that a good idea? I mean it will look pretty and all, but isn't it best to keep pretty much everything out of light?

Spirits are generally in clear bottles which offer no protection at all. I know they won't skunk like beer does, but excess light probably wont do it any favours.

Rob.

Thats the type Bonj! With the plastic seats and all!!!!
The floor boards on the ceiling are there so when your drunk and can't get back up, your not all that disorientated!
I reckon it'd look good done up as an old style English pub, clean up the floor boards and the panelling around the walls and your halfway there

looks like they enclosed a deck. you would want to put underfloor insulation there or sheet it with underlay and tile the area as it will be cold in winter with the breeze coming threw the floor. Also if its not hard I would insulate the skillion roof as well would be bloody cold in there in winter by the looks lol

Having a spirit cabinet (ie shelves) behind the bar would be nice, and you could put a wooden-slat roller door or even a canvas blind over it during the day. Look trick with all the glassware and spirits up there, and be protected from light when you're not using it. Wouldn't be space-consuming or expensive, even a few old bookcases given a sand-back and varnish would do.

Looks like a good setup you'll have there, just make sure there are some small end tables or a coffee table near the lounge and plenty of coasters.

Cheers - boingk

Mount the tv on the wall (If its a flat screen). Its a space saver of all.

I've always liked the look of those stools Bonj <_< .

The MAME machine will rock, mind you the floorboards on the roof will mess up your head when you have a nanna nap.

the roof is tin, then some insulation, then the wood. It's not decking that's been covered over. We have an lcd that will be wall mounted. A mate is hopefully doing something in sketchup so will post that on tues if done. Will lay out the taps to get an idea of space and post that up. Cheers

I've always liked the look of those stools Bonj <_< .

The MAME machine will rock, mind you the floorboards on the roof will mess up your head when you have a nanna nap.
You can get the stools at Bunnings or anywhere that stocks Caroma products.

Back