Ballarat Graduate Certificate Of Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,
Coupla Q's.

The course all up including dimploma is 3 years? I was told it was only 2 thats all

Are the subjects set out so you learn the basics first, and then move into relating it all to beer e.g. You study basic chemistry, basic maths, basic bio, and then move into courses that directly deal with brewing and beer. Or is it straight up every subject is related to beer only. Only reason I ask this is I've done half the Wine Science Degree at USQ, and we studied the basics first, so I may be able to get RPL's

Do you pay per subject like a normal UNI would, or you pay the course fee straight up?

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,
Shaun.

Its laid out in four sections

Semester 1 - Intro stuff like some malting biochemistry and such and then raw materials
Semester 2 - The brewing process
Semester 3 - Yeast and fermentation
Semester 4 - Food safety and malt/beer analysis

The science is quite full on, especially semester 3, and a science background certainly does help, but is by no means a requirement. As for RPL's I doubt you'll be able to get any as its all beer related.

Each topic (semester) is charged separately, I put mine on top of my HECS :)

One of these days I'll make the leap.
It's pretty scary the amount of dollars required to setup a brewery that is big enough to make money.
Those guys with small 600L setups really seem to struggle.

Thanks mate, and congratulations to you on finishing the course! Any new prospects on the horizon from it?

Pete changed Semester 4 for us to SCBRW 5086 that is called something like Downstream Processing and Beer Quality.
I agree that Semester 3 is pretty full on although I would also say that it was the subject I enjoyed most. I'm still not a fan of biochemistry.
There is another thing to consider when thinking about the benefits of enrolling in a course such as this: The people you meet. Your peers are like minded people that are either already in the industry or seriously considering joining.
Its laid out in four sections

Semester 1 - Intro stuff like some malting biochemistry and such and then raw materials
Semester 2 - The brewing process
Semester 3 - Yeast and fermentation
Semester 4 - Food safety and malt/beer analysis

The science is quite full on, especially semester 3, and a science background certainly does help, but is by no means a requirement. As for RPL's I doubt you'll be able to get any as its all beer related.

Each topic (semester) is charged separately, I put mine on top of my HECS :)

Long term im looking to do this course but as its supposed to be Post Grad I first need to complete a science degree :ph34r:
Slow Process doing one subject at a time i can tell you. I met a bloke 12 months ago doing the course who got in because he was working part time at a brewery. Can any of you blokes who've done the course make a guess of what % people had a science degree prior?

im willing to do the work but it'll be 6 years at the current rate till i can apply. im 30 now and want to make a change a little faster than that.

cheers

I successfully completed the Grad Diploma a few years ago, I don't have a science degree and have never studied chemistry until I had to as part of this course. Even then all I needed was very basic chemistry knowledge.

Out of curiosity, how have graduates gone in securing employment in a brewery? In particular what specific positions within a brewery have people managed to get?

Adam,

A lot. There are people who have done either the grad course or short course that have secured brewing, packaging , sensory or production roles at the following breweries.

Little Creatures
Two Brothers
Matilda Bay
Lion
Fosters
Malt Shovel
Northbridge (uk)
Red Hill
Moa
Knappstein
Joe White
Nail
Coopers
Mt Tambourine
Blue Tongue
AIB
Murrays
Otway Estate
Sourthen Bay Brewing
Scottish Chiefs
Two Boys

And that is just the ones I know personally......

But you still have to put the work in.

One of these days I'll make the leap.
It's pretty scary the amount of dollars required to setup a brewery that is big enough to make money.
Those guys with small 600L setups really seem to struggle.

Very few brewers/breweries are rich...

Of course, there is also contract brewing and shared premises/equipment brewing.

The Brew Strong podcasts on The Brewing Network are currently doing a Going Pro series with Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

Slightly :icon_offtopic:

they are rich in knowledge and expertise..making a better brew for those out in the world..money ain't everything but is does help

Gives one a warm, fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?

Kinda like drinking great brews...

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Im currently doing the IBD Diploma of brewing (up to the final module - Mod3)

Its a pretty good course - cost is around 300-400 bucks per module (depending on exchange rates as this is a British course)

Definatley helps to have a background in science (i did Food Tech) - not to say that you can't do it without that.

courses start now and exams are in June - Basically you get issued with the course notes - do past exams and go for it!
Results in August / September

Hey guys, is there a res school or any reason to physically go to the uni, or is this 100% external. Its nigh on impossible for me to get time of these days.

Cheers

Shaun.

Hey guys, is there a res school or any reason to physically go to the uni, or is this 100% external. Its nigh on impossible for me to get time of these days.

Cheers

Shaun.

In the two year certificate, there is one week only on campus. You do a few brews on the two campus breweries. Visit a few breweries and maltings, do quite a bit of sensory, some micro and some analytical.

B.

In the two year certificate, there is one week only on campus. You do a few brews on the two campus breweries. Visit a few breweries and maltings, do quite a bit of sensory, some micro and some analytical.

B.

When is that normally Run Wasabi? 1st or 2nd year, and what part of the year?

Cheers,

Shaun.

When is that normally Run Wasabi? 1st or 2nd year, and what part of the year?

Cheers,

Shaun.

Usually 2nd year and usually early on.

I went back to Oz this year to help out and was around March.

The Uni has just built a new science wing and the brewery is being moved so I suspect next year it might happen later. Much later than April though and Ballarat gets pretty cold. There have been some students who couldnt make it in 2nd year so Peter let them come the year after instead.

The big difference between the IBD and Ballarat is that you get a more worldly view of brewing. The IBD is very englishcentric and some of the things they teach just dont happen in the commercial brewing world outside of the UK. I tutor on a few of the IBD units where I work now and I find myselfconstantly saying "I know this isnt how we do things but this is the answer they want to hear...". Don't get me wrong, I have been an IBD member for 7 years and did my distilling paper through them, I just think they present a narrow view of commercial brewing.

B.

B.

And an exam, and a couple of lectures on yeast :p

Latest posts

Back