Ballarat Beer Festival

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa99

Reaction score
Just came across this Beer Festival in Ballarat. Couldn't find another thread for it so started this one.

http://www.ballaratbeerfestival.com.au/

Safe to say, I reckon that a contingent from Ballarat And Region (B.A.R) Brewers will be in attendance.

I'm excited :kooi:

Just came across this Beer Festival in Ballarat. Couldn't find another thread for it so started this one.

http://www.ballaratbeerfestival.com.au/

Safe to say, I reckon that a contingent from Ballarat And Region (B.A.R) Brewers will be in attendance.

I'm excited :kooi:

Nice!

Is this what was mentioned at our first B.A.R get together by Vic45?

I think B.A.R should be represented there in some way - some things to talk about on Sunday. My first thought was a brewing demonstration...

Nice!

Is this what was mentioned at our first B.A.R get together by Vic45?

I think B.A.R should be represented there in some way - some things to talk about on Sunday. My first thought was a brewing demonstration...

Wakka, it was Vic13 and his was a Buninyong thing in October from memory...I'm hoping we'll get more info from him asap as I offered my help but am quickly getting to the point that I need as much notice as possible for weekends as this semester has been a bit more brutal than I expected. Plus I've been crook as a dog since last Thursday so I don't even know what sort of shape I'll be in by Sunday... (might be safer not to use me as a halfway travel stop just to be sure...can't remembered if I offered that to you or not...).

As for the "Ballarat Beer Festival"...I remain cynical and pessimistic about its intentions, organisers and prices until further information presents itself. Flashy looking website though, I'll give it that much. It would be awesome if it was reasonably priced and actually had a heap of microbreweries with interesting beers there. But the city oval ain't Fed Square :ph34r:

I vote the Vic's change their name. I can never remember whether it was 13 or 45!

Wakka, it was Vic13 and his was a Buninyong thing in October from memory...

I believe the Buninyong Festival isn't going ahead. The brewing thing was to be a part of this.

Re the Ballarat Beer Festival I'm pretty cynical about it too. I can see it being sponsored by Fosters Group or Carlton United Breweries or whatever they're called now. Will end up being able to visit the "Carlton Dry" tent, the "Crown Lager" tent or the "Fat Yak" tent. I would say as "boutique" as it will get will be James Squire (Lion Nathan) and Matilda Bay (Fosters / CUB).

You would think that given that Red Duck is now brewed in Ballarat they should have got them on board for the initial promotion. I'll wait and see before I get too excited about it.

On the positive side I note that they're seeking volunteers to fill the majority of working positions on the day so maybe it's not all about making a big profit.

I believe the Buninyong Festival isn't going ahead. The brewing thing was to be a part of this.

Re the Ballarat Beer Festival I'm pretty cynical about it too. I can see it being sponsored by Fosters Group or Carlton United Breweries or whatever they're called now. Will end up being able to visit the "Carlton Dry" tent, the "Crown Lager" tent or the "Fat Yak" tent. I would say as "boutique" as it will get will be James Squire (Lion Nathan) and Matilda Bay (Fosters / CUB).

You would think that given that Red Duck is now brewed in Ballarat they should have got them on board for the initial promotion. I'll wait and see before I get too excited about it.

On the positive side I note that they're seeking volunteers to fill the majority of working positions on the day so maybe it's not all about making a big profit.

I can ceratinly almost gaurantee it wont be like what your thinking. I know of about at least 8-10 proper brewerys are on board for this including kooinda and goat. It should be great!

I can ceratinly almost gaurantee it wont be like what your thinking. I know of about at least 8-10 proper brewerys are on board for this including kooinda and goat. It should be great!

Thanks for the heads up Fents...I think Herbo and myself were erring on the side of caution to avoid future dissappointment.

It will be awesome if it works out - presumably O'Briens will get on board also... I'll be very interested to see the demographic that turns out for it. I hope the entry fee isn't too prohibitive. I might just ask the family to put aside any xmas gifts for some folding money for this one instead haha.

Thanks Fents, that's what I needed to hear. Might even think about volunteering for something there, but I guess then I won't be able to drink :unsure:

I still think there's merit in having the "Crown Lager" tent. It will be the best way to distract all of the Ballarat bogans away from the good stuff. Kind of like how the Hofbrauhaus tent works like a magnet to attract all of the Aussie bogans at Oktoberfest :lol: :ph34r:

If there are no distractions something like this may occur at the Kooinda stand... "Awwww, mate, give us taste (glug, glug)... awww, don't like that much, got anything that tastes like Carlton Draught?" :ph34r:

Yes we'll be there with The Rat and O'Briens brews, pretty sure Red Duck will be there too. The main sponsors will probably be the bigger breweries 'cos they have the cash but it will definitely be a craft beer oriented event.

Cheers, Andrew.

Upon further discussion about this event I've swung over into the positive realm!

Will be a great day I reckon. Look forward to further updates. :beer:

Hope the Ballarat breweries are at the forefront. B)

Quite a nice representation of micro brewers listed on the website now, Holgate, Mornington PB, Bridge road, to name a few.

Should be a good weekend with live entertainment as well.

I'm going with the missus and will book accommodation and make it a long weekend.

So the one main remaining decent original live music venue in Ballarat are doing a massive night of local musos all getting together to slap each other on the back in honour of a local icon of the live music scene in Ballarat who died recently........

.........and it's the night of the 21st of Jan.

Sure, I might not have gone anyway as the heavier side of music isn't being represented and it is mostly just an excuse for the over 35 crowd to party like it's 1999 and complain about how much better the music scene was back in 'the day' (which of course it was), but **** me sideways I would've liked the option to go hahaha.

As it stands I intend to be asleep on the couch by 9pm. Having said that I'm aware that tokens and cost of drinks will probably make drinking irresponsibly impossible for someone on an Austudy budget.

So who's going?? I'm taking Friday off and heading up with the missus and her bro and wife. Looking forward to it.

Just wondering do they have megaswill beer stands there attracting the bogans who want to drink to get drunk and cause trouble or does the lack of megaswill being served mean they stay away? What's it been like other years???

This is the first of its kind, nothing a posteriori to go on I'm afraid. But rest easy, in Ballarat we don't need megaswill to start trouble.

Keep your eyes out for the AHB shirts and when you see a red flare go off then we TAKE CONTROL OF THE VENUE!

Latest posts

Back