Balancing My Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logman

The most interesting man on AHB
Reaction score
I've brewed my first kegging batch and have had it in the fridge for around a week. For the first two days I had it at around 240 kpa, then backed it off to around 100 kpa. I've got 6 feet of 6mm line and the tap is about 2 feet above the middle of my keg. At 100 kpa, the beer was pouring as all foam so I let all of the gas out and put it at 20 kpa and it's still super foamy when poured - the beer doesn't seem over-carbed though, if anything a little under.

What's the next move - do I start shortening the beer line?

Logman,
Using 6mm line you may need to double the length.
2 metres is too short.
About right for 5mm line.

Have a look at crozdogs spreadsheet, HERE

Scroll to the very bottom and you will see the link.

Hi guys, thanks for the help. I ordered some 5mm but they are waiting on stock. I have a 12ft piece of 6mm as well and I just tried that and got a glass of foam also at 100kpa.

The temp is my normal beer temp, cold but not super cold - I don't have a thermometer so can't tell you exactly :unsure:

Should I vent it and then leave the gas off overnight or something?

Apologies, my very first keg effort....

Should I vent it and then leave the gas off overnight or something?

Apologies, my very first keg effort....
Yes. I would also leave the PRV open overnight as well. Then put it at pouring pressure in the morning and see what you get in the glass.

I spoke with (a commercial supplier) recently, and he told me that:

5mm - 2.5m length
6mm - 5m length

Generally the 6mm is used for commercial bars over longer distances. So to get the perfect pour in the home brew fridge you'd have 5m coiled up for a 70kPa pour.
I do know of people who have had no problem with 6mm at any length but always seem to be worried about pressure.

Logman when you get your delivery, 5mm at 2.5m length will be fine for a pour at 70kPa.

Ok so I've left it overnight - definite improvement there. More bubbles and not pouring so agro but still needs more time by the look of it :eek: .

I'll try it again this afternoon.

Been about 21 hours now with the PVR open and it's still coming out with a lot of froth. Beer is bubbling still though - just keep the PVR off until it pours properly?

I'm using the 12 FT of 6mm at present....

I downloaded the spreadsheet and went through it. They don't have 6mm line in it though so I figured I'd just leave the 12 ft of 6mm on and then apply the spreadsheet when the 5mm arrives.

I have to get some stuff from Craftbrewer this week so if the 5mm that's on back order doesn't arrive by then I'll get some 5mm from there.

In the left panel under "sheets" click on "pressure required" this sheet will show the typical pressure for different beer styles. Find the style your after and read the pressure required for your stored temperature.

It's a lager in the keg, so if I'm reading the chart right, at around 6 degrees I need around 10psi?
Unless I'm reading the table wrong .....
For lager .. (US Ale and lager) you need 2.8 CO2 volumes. For 6.1 degrees C this requires 17.2 psi.

ScreenHunter_11Feb201940.jpg

Latest posts

Back