Bakers yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
Does anyone use it to make beer. Cause in spirits I know they use is to make neutrals so that would mean a neutral yeast wouldn't it

I think Basic Brewing did a podcast/vidcast about this a while ago.... Making beer with bread yeast and vice versa. You might find the details on their site.

mrsupraboy said:
Does anyone use it to make beer. Cause in spirits I know they use is to make neutrals so that would mean a neutral yeast wouldn't it
Don't subject your beer to inferior yeast that is not intended to produce beer.

Use beer yeast, and use it as the manufacturer recommends. I think the results more than justify the extra couple of dollars.

Yes. If you want unpredictable results - more than likely nasty beer
Both are Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Just like a Greyhound and a Doberman are both dogs but have evolved differently to achieve different tasks

Another thing with Baker's yeast is that it's usually a mix of many different strains
Whereas Brewer's yeast (for the most part) is a single strain
This means all those different strains in the Baker's yeast will all throw off different conflicting flavours that are distinct to those certain strains
Though keep in mind this can sometimes be welcome/useful in things like Mead and Kvass

I have used it in small (5L) batches of mead with good results, but I wouldn't use it in beer. There's too much hard work involved with beer to risk it all at the last hurdle.
Mead is quick, easy and the honey is free, so I'm less invested in it.

I have a endless supply of bakers yeast.
I use upwards of 40kg per week of the stuff.
I go to the extreme if not even going unto my brewery after work because I don't want to cross contaminate it.
I'm not certain about miltistrain yeast in my bread but it doesn't sound correct, I will ask my sale rep.
I've used beer yeast in bread though and it works almost as good as normal bakers yeast at 28deg it really kicks along.
My 2.342 cents.

I do have a question tho that's almost off topic.

I've read on here about adding used beer yeast in the last ten minutes of the boil to give the yeastes some extra nutrition.
Is this true?
And could I add bakers yeast for this.
It's more general interest Tbh as I'm shit scared of getting a bread yeast outbreak in the brewery.

Danwood, by that I'm assuming you mean you have a beehive, so the honey is 'free' because you can just take it. Well yeah sort of. That's where we get our honey from too but for me that makes it even more valuable. The bees collect this stuff over months of hardwork, are willing to die for it (when they sting they die), and taking it out does quite some damage to their carefully tended hive. So bloody oath I want to make the best mead I can!

When I first read the JAO recipe on gotmead.com they specifically said the recipe was designed for people to use ingredients they'd find in the common kitchen in a way that would quickly give them a tasty mead. And that it does, partly because the baker's yeast just can't tolerate much alcohol. That said, I wouldn't imagine it would give much character to a mead beyond that.

I usually add a spot of old yeast/dregs from a previous fermentation to my wort during the boil. Not so fastidious about when I add it though - usually just chuck it in right at the start. Just a pinch. I'm sure it does something for the health of the yeast in the fermentation - nutrients and all that - though my method isn't scientific, to say the least, so I'm not sure whether I could produce records to back it up.

Some brewers add Vegemite to the boil! (Same reason - it's dead yeast. )

TimT said:

Danwood, by that I'm assuming you mean you have a beehive, so the honey is 'free' because you can just take it. Well yeah sort of. That's where we get our honey from too but for me that makes it even more valuable. The bees collect this stuff over months of hardwork, are willing to die for it (when they sting they die), and taking it out does quite some damage to their carefully tended hive. So bloody oath I want to make the best mead I can!
I use honey I get from my FIL, a commercial apiarist near Mildura. I haven't seen it harvested. I'd appreciate the process more if I had, I'm sure.

And, as with many of nature's marvels humans have bent to their will, it deserves greater respect.
So I'll agree with your point to some degree.

However, that isn't to say I'm not happy with my batches so far. I belive they hold up very well when compared with commercial sweet meads.

I haven't tried alternative yeasts, I plan to, and maybe they will be better, but I'm happy with my efforts up until now.

Anyway, to OP, if you're still curious, maybe ferment a small portion of your next wort with bread yeast in a 5l bottle or some such.

Spiesy said:
Call me crazy, but I use yeast nutrients for yeast nutrients.
Yes bought 400g off cb last month. I don't want to risk contamination,the bakers yeast is free.
But I'm shoure getting rid of a brewery infection wouldn't be.

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
Snip
I've read on here about adding used beer yeast in the last ten minutes of the boil to give the yeastes some extra nutrition.
Is this true?
And could I add bakers yeast for this.
It's more general interest Tbh as I'm shit scared of getting a bread yeast outbreak in the brewery.
Soylent Green for yeast hum...
If you are old enough to get the reference, it might help some as a nutrient but its far from a balanced diet
Proper yeast nutrients are a far better choice
Mark

I think it's often suggested to add yeast in combination with yeast nutrient. The dead yeast adds something, the nutrient adds something else. In some brands of yeast nutrient they add dead yeast anyway.

It is often suggested. What MHB is saying is that it contains only a bit of what yeast really require for optimum functionality.

ITT: noone who has brewed with bread yeast.

That's it, one of my cubes is getting a 1/4 tin of Lowan's finest. I'll report results in a couple weeks.

dent said:

That's it, one of my cubes is getting a 1/4 tin of Lowan's finest. I'll report results in a couple weeks.
Pretty sure it's used a fair bit for jao and was used a fair bit maybe as early as 70s for HB beer.

dent said:

You're game.

dent said:

Which type of beer? I'm just thinking along the line of something like a S23 would not make a nice IPA, not the yeasts issue, just mismatched to the beer style. I think Lowans could make a good drop in something like an Aussie Pale, even thinking bread-iness with Marris Otter, or possibly in a Belguim style? I don't think it would be good on a lager. I guess knowing the strains taste will come in handy after the first batch. The chemist from Lowans said it is grown on a molasses substrate, and recommends fermenting at 30c (yes thirty Celsius). The ferment temperature could also lean the beer style into Saison world.

Back