Bairds greyhound racing ban.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greyhounds are really docile and make good pets. I have known a few that have owned them and reckoned they where the best dog ever

Ducatiboy stu said:
Greyhounds are really docile and make good pets. I have known a few that have owned them and reckoned they where the best dog ever
Our girl is great, a little naughty at times, but she'll put up with anything
I roughhouse with her a bit and rile her up, she's never even once come close to biting me, even when I've taken a bone from her because she needed to come inside (because it was -2 outside and she wanted to sit out eating the bone)
They can be very excitable and bouncy when meeting new people, but they soon calm down and just beg for pats

But it is happening Spork, the Adopt a Greyhound charity is doing great things,
Just like you've done it & needs more time to save the lives of those pups. All Baird is doing is going to make the breed of dog called greyhound extinct in NSW.

Its not just about my beloved Wenty Park either, how many greyhound tracks in NSW are paying a peppercorn rent on state government land?

Heard a bloke on the radio this arvo who worked for a mob that placed retired greyhounds to good homes. He reckoned that a large percentage of them couldn't be placed and had to be put down because they were too ratty and mad. Pretty sad.

Reminds me of my Da telling the story of him and his mate buying a greyhound hoping to make a few bob at White city, the greyhound they bought was called Flash , the greyhound was so slow they decided to get rid of it because it was costing them a fortune in feed, my Da's mate said lets throw it in the canal, me Da said there's no need for that, lets just run away from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_-QcW4Q4I

I've eaten a lot of horse meat in the UK and Europe, it's similar to venison. I see no reason why it shouldn't regularly be on the menu here as it is in Italy, Belgium etc.
Simply because it's repugnant to My Little Pony little silly girlies (and bronies of course).
Horses are no more sentient that goats, for example.

mmmmm gooaaaattttttt :icon_drool2:

Still can't get any decent goat meat here, you'd think somewhere like the Border Ranges would be rotten with it.

Was sharing a house with a retired (even won a race) Greyhound, great dog if a little narrowly focused.
I think its a big call to ban the racing but inevitable, the "sport" had plenty of warning and did SFA about the extremely unacceptable behaviour of some members.
Its a tough call but I suspect fair.

Although I would cut off a limb before voting Liberal I actually quite like Baird - hard not to like someone who doesn't like Justin Bieber .
Or if you haven't heard the announcement on Greyhound racing

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhh Mikey, you are going to end up with a fat consulting contract somewhere after you 'retire'...

Maybe all the greyhound owners should hand over their dogs to Mr Baird personally and lets see how humane he is in determining what happens to them.

I don't give a shit about racing, and I also don't give a shit about how many dogs are killed. All they really had to do is crack down effectively on blooding and cruelty but I guess it was all too hard. People are capable of some awful things when money is on the line, and it sucks that responsible ones involved will have their livelihoods cut short.

Picking up on a point made earlier by Dave70. Among the reasons given for the shutdown, Mike Baird said this, "As you will see when you go through the report, he has shone the light on an industry that has overseen the slaughter of tens of thousands of healthy dogs whose only crime was they weren't fast enough". The horse racing industry also sees thousands of healthy animals slaughtered for the same reason. No one agrees on the numbers but no one disagrees that it happens. One of the reasons this eventuates is there are far more horses bred than are required for the racing industry. It's the same reason why so many greyhounds are bred. Thousands are bred in order to find the few that meet the racing requirements of the industry. Unfortunately, there are not enough people/places available to re-home so many animals bred for racing.

Are the NSW government going to put the horse racing industry on notice? They won't because it's still profitable for the government. As Liam mentioned in the above post, live baiting was a big issue and probably concerned most people more than other points raised in the report. Horse racing doesn't have an equivalent problem. However, like many aspects of politics and life in general, inconsistencies run deep through the decisions we make.

I think the whole live baiting thing is the line that was crossed when comparing dog to horse racing. People can turn a blind eye to quite a bit, but that was probably the straw that broke the camel I'd say.

GalBrew said:
I think the whole live baiting thing is the line that was crossed when comparing dog to horse racing. People can turn a blind eye to quite a bit, but that was probably the straw that broke the camel I'd say.
I agree.

Don't ever believe that there is any skerrick of principle behind this decision whatsoever...relatively small industry with potential to take moral high ground over live baiting issue = expendable.,

Ducatiboy stu said:
Best part is when you take them to one of those dog parks or the beach and get them to fetch a ball. Seeing your elegant pooch effortlessly sprint to 60+ kph leaving the latest designer French Bulldog / Pug hybrid wheezing and foaming pathetically in its wake as they all chase the ball down is a thing of beauty.

They really are great pets, but people are funny. I can still remember some folk crossing the street when I use to walk dads many years ago, mainly older ladies. We lived in a not so nice part of Sydneys north west industrial suburbs at the time and I'd say a muzzled dog on a leash should have been the least of their worries.
Conversely, when I use to walk our Bullmastif x Ridgeback with a head the size of large watermelon, people be like 'oh, can I give him a pat!!"

A true Australian institution coming to an end. Like Dave Faulkners hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFijAzk6Qw

Latest posts

Back