Bag For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stowaway

Reaction score
what does everyone use to make their BIAB bags?

I would prefer to just buy one straight out.

any suggestions? I only see hop bags.

Swiss Voile from any curtain place (Spotlight etc)

I have not seen any pre made bags but you could take it into any drycleaners and they should be able to sew it up for you.
I cut mine into a circle and a family friend sewed the outer edge up and put a draw string in for me.

I have not seen any pre made bags but you could take it into any drycleaners and they should be able to sew it up for you.
I cut mine into a circle and a family friend sewed the outer edge up and put a draw string in for me.

thanks reg. I was hoping to get away with out sewing. But I guess I can find someone who can sew

thanks reg. I was hoping to get away with out sewing. But I guess I can find someone who can sew

You might find one of those small booths in your nearest mega-mall which does alterations. I reckon they'd do it for you pretty cheap.

Cheers,

Soz

I just did a quick google of Swiss Voile - upwards of $50 per metre.

Surely that's incorrect?

I'll be heading up to Spotlight during my lunch break to have a look..

bought 1.5mts on saturday from spotlight for less than $10 & got 2 bags out of it to suit 65lt tank

what does everyone use to make their BIAB bags?

I would prefer to just buy one straight out.

any suggestions? I only see hop bags.

I have a 2m x 1m length of muslin, doubled over and draped into the kettle. No sewing. Just some pegs around the lip to hold it in place.

I just did a quick google of Swiss Voile - upwards of $50 per metre.

Surely that's incorrect?

I'll be heading up to Spotlight during my lunch break to have a look..

I just did a quick google and for that price it all seems to be cotton Voile.

What we got was a polyester and about $7m.

'the mrs'

So I just went to buy 'swiss voile' and the only response from staff was; Cotton Voile thats all we have...

Is this the right stuff?? I thought I would be getting a finer muslin sort of meshy stuff... but this is just a really light cotton material.... Is it the stuff?

Or am I missing something here.. :blink:

Any advice is appreciated.

Cocko

So I just went to buy 'swiss voile' and the only response from staff was; Cotton Voile thats all we have...

Is this the right stuff?? I thought I would be getting a finer muslin sort of meshy stuff... but this is just a really light cotton material.... Is it the stuff?

Or am I missing something here.. :blink:

Any advice is appreciated.

Cocko

hi cocko, you want nylon/polyester, not cotton.

cheers Ross

yeah what Ross said. I don't know if the cotton stuff would be strong enough. Incidently, the latest batch of muslin the the mother in law got for my hop bags was much stronger (edit: than the muslin I bought), and I suspect it would be fine, but best to go with the tried and tested synthetic stuff.

Like the guys said, not cotton.

The Swiss voile that is the recommended bag is 100% polyester. Its basically a curtain "sheer" - if you cant get a response from the sales rep, try going to the curtain section and just looking around. You want a white/ivory/colourless cloth, seethrough, that is the finest mesh possible whilst still being visibly a mesh. The holes between the threads should be only 1 or 2 times teh width of the threads themselves.

Got a French Press style coffee maker?? Have a look at the steel filter cloth in that - thats about what you are looking for, but in 100% polyester. I think that polyester is a better choice than nylon - some of the nylons are "stretchy" and the appropriate BiaB cloth isn't. Virtually no give in it at all, even when its at 100C

And when you are choosing thread to sew it with - once again, 100% polyester.

Remember to construct it so that any weight is bourne by the cloth, not by seams. They are the weak point.

Aside from that - the bag that reviled bought was a "wine strainer bag" I cant find anyone on the web selling them in Australia, but if you go to a shop that sells winemaking gear you might find one. It needs to be big enough to put your pot inside of - dont fall for the small bag trick just because its easier. If its not big enough to put your pot in (or very bloody nearly) then you need to find a different one or make one yourself.

TB

Thank you so much guys.... I didn't think cotton was right!

So is it still called Voile? Polyester voile?

The hunt continues.... If anyone knows where I can find some in Melbourne, let me know!!

Who would have thought when I started brewing that I would be learning about materials!!!

Thanks again guys, a night learning how to sew has just been postponed.

Cheers

Cocko

both Spotlight and Lincraft stock the right stuff - I bought mine from (IIRC) lincraft in the city - I strongly suspect that your local outlet of either of these two stores will have the stuff you need, its just a matter of how useful the sales assistant is - you may have to search it out on your own..

If you are really stuck - PM me your address and I will post you a small square of the stuff and you can just take it in and say "give me some of this..."

But I found mine after about 2 mins of walking around the store, so I suspect you won have too much trouble.

TB

Hmmm,

i just did my first brew in a bag and i used some cotton material, it didnt seem right. I didnt sew it up into a bag. Instead just had it drapped over the pot.

I found gaining an accurate temperature was much harder with BIAB.

My plan next time is to use my hopelessly shit esky mashtun. and put the bag(will make a new bag or atleast get the correct material) in the esky (as it holds the temperature much more steadily) and basicly do BiaB in the esky. leave the bag in there, drain out the first runnings as i pour more water in.

will be just like using my shit louter thingy but with the ease of a bag and without getting heaps of grain and shit through the pipes.

will see how it goes, i think i will have much better luck with it and hopefully will be better with the new material.

is that the same material people use for hop bags?

both Spotlight and Lincraft stock the right stuff - I bought mine from (IIRC) lincraft in the city - I strongly suspect that your local outlet of either of these two stores will have the stuff you need, its just a matter of how useful the sales assistant is - you may have to search it out on your own..

If you are really stuck - PM me your address and I will post you a small square of the stuff and you can just take it in and say "give me some of this..."

But I found mine after about 2 mins of walking around the store, so I suspect you won have too much trouble.

TB

Thanks heaps TB, absolutely above and beyond, as always!!

Yep, the sunday staff may be the ring ins me thinks..... I will hunt it out myself or make them do a search on their computers!!

Staff: "nope only cotton voile"
Me: "Thirsty boy said!! :angry: Look again!"
Staff: "nope, only cotton"
Me: "Get your manager out here. NOW!" :lol:

Also, cheers to spillsmost for the tips....

Happy BIAB'ing all! Mighty!

Cocko.

I found gaining an accurate temperature was much harder with BIAB.

You'll find that will be the case with any new mashing vessel. It certainly was when I built a new mashtun.

Ok, Swiss Voile has been got!!

Next little challenge is making the bag and here is my issue:

My 'Kettle' has had the top cut out of it leaving a small amount around the top, planning for the lid to sit on.. SO if I make the bag to line the inside once the mash is done its time to pull the bag out the grain would have bunched at the bottom and be a fair bit larger than the top hole.... I don't really want to grind the rest away, it took a lot to get the hole cutting done, not to mention about 5 disk - its some tuff sh*t!!

Any thoughts my friends??

DOn't worry about that - you can either attach the rope to the lowest portion of the bag (which makes it easier to get out) or just pull it out.... I just pull mine out, if your hands are a bit sensitive to heat, wear some dishwashing gloves. The grain moves in the bag - it's not a problem.

Cheers - Mike

DOn't worry about that - you can either attach the rope to the lowest portion of the bag (which makes it easier to get out) or just pull it out.... I just pull mine out, if your hands are a bit sensitive to heat, wear some dishwashing gloves. The grain moves in the bag - it's not a problem.

Cheers - Mike

Awesome. Thanks MVZOOM.

That means it all systems go at Cocko's this weekend, AG's ahoy!!
:super:

Back