Bag For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, not sure if our sewing machine is quite up to spec for that sort of stuff, but I am thinking of making up one with the circle base and lots of stitching. Thanks for the input all.

Crundle

lol, not sure if our sewing machine is quite up to spec for that sort of stuff, but I am thinking of making up one with the circle base and lots of stitching. Thanks for the input all.

Crundle

Just like a sleeping bag stuff sack - thats what Spills has and its plenty strong enough. DON'T... suspend your bag from its drawstring. you want to pull it closed and "strangle" the bag below the opening by wrapping a few loops of the drawstring cord around it - suspend from there. That way you are relying on the strength of the cord and the material, not how well the stitching holds in just the few cm where your draw string emerges from the bag.

Just like a sleeping bag stuff sack - thats what Spills has and its plenty strong enough. DON'T... suspend your bag from its drawstring. you want to pull it closed and "strangle" the bag below the opening by wrapping a few loops of the drawstring cord around it - suspend from there. That way you are relying on the strength of the cord and the material, not how well the stitching holds in just the few cm where your draw string emerges from the bag.

I keep redesigning my bag in my mind along a particular line and always come back to the simple sleeping bag stuff-sack design. The pillow case never really did it for me like it apparently does for tangent. I don't know if that is a fault on my part or tangent's.

I sewed mine up with a $20 Reject Shop sewing machine and have no issues with it at all. I would suggest though, if you are doing it yourself, that it will make life a lot easier if you pin the seams, tack them with some rough hand stitching and *then* go at it with the sewing machine. It's what Mrs Sims told me in sewing class and it has always served me well.

I mistreated my drawstring and it broke after forty-something brews - but the bag and the stitching continue to hold up well. Next bag (because that is what counts for bling bling in my brewery *sigh*) will have a drawstring made of cord that is about twice as thick. The Ikea parasol will have to be held down with something else...

Latest posts

Back