Bad Brew Days...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have one. Did all the normal bad brew day things like buggering up my water calcs and undershooting my preboil sg by about 20 points, burned my arm on the new Aldi urn HLT, confused myself with water chemistry etc, but today I managed to actually lock myself out of the flat when I went up the road for some "Missus Not Home" food.

I normally let the kettle sit for 20 minutes after flame-out before draining, but today it was closer to an hour by the time I'd located a key (Missus left one with her friend so she could feed the fish when we went away) I think I may have buggered my beer this time, or possibly invented a new style.

Now it looks like the yeast I'd saved from the previous brew isn't firing up. Damn it.

Some of you lot must have some worse brew days to make me feel better about mine?

Dropped the car keys into the boil with the 60 minute hop addition?

Put your wedding ring through the grain mill?

Blew your shed up when the nasa burner went out, then you turned the light on?

Give me some good stories!

Cheers,

FB

Not really what I meant.

Lots of funny stories about brewday **** ups to keep you amused. Some of them I wrote (not sure in which one or where)

I'm not really the 'do a search ffs' guy.

Was filling a fermenter today and thought the tap was part open. Wasn't.

The whole thing was leaking. Tightening it made it skip the end thread. Leaked worse.

About 500ml of wort had seeped onto the floor at this stage. Panic set in.

Grabbed another fermeter that was full of napisan and still had a huge crust on it. Rinsed it maybe twice, badly.

Transfered the leaking fermenter to the dirty one. Certainly got aerated, that's for sure.

Dumped the leaking fermenter in the recycle bin. Fecker.

Only got 15L of Pils. Shit happens.

Not really what I meant.

Lots of funny stories about brewday **** ups to keep you amused. Some of them I wrote (not sure in which one or where)

I'm not really the 'do a search ffs' guy.

Forum cultures can be an odd thing. The 'do a search ffs' guys seem to rule the roost here, yet on other forums I frequent, the same sorts of guys get shirty about grave digging any thread over 3 weeks old.

By way of apology, can I add to my list "Grabbing the wrong end of the stick and swinging it around like buggery."?

I once filled up the HLT while standing on the step ladder with my pants around my ankles. For the wife's enjoyment of course... But that was a good brew day.

Stuck sparges used to piss me off. Broke a cube while cleaning it.

Forum cultures can be an odd thing. The 'do a search ffs' guys seem to rule the roost here, yet on other forums I frequent, the same sorts of guys get shirty about grave digging any thread over 3 weeks old.

By way of apology, can I add to my list "Grabbing the wrong end of the stick and swinging it around like buggery."?

Both shit me. For the same effort required to say 'do a search ffs' you can either provide a relevant link or ignore the post.

Having a crack at people who have actually made an effort to search seems counter intuitive unless they are replying to a six year old thread as if it were yesterday. Still easy enough to point out they are behind the times without being a ****.

Apology/wild waving stick whatever accepted.

Both shit me. For the same effort required to say 'do a search ffs' you can either provide a relevant link or ignore the post.

Having a crack at people who have actually made an effort to search seems counter intuitive unless they are replying to a six year old thread as if it were yesterday. Still easy enough to point out they are behind the times without being a ****.

Apology/wild waving stick whatever accepted.

+1 , when searching all the threads it can become pretty tedious and time consuming, as long as you make some effort to research something yourself it doesn't hurt to start new refreshed thread.

Was filling a fermenter today and thought the tap was part open. Wasn't.

The whole thing was leaking. Tightening it made it skip the end thread. Leaked worse.

About 500ml of wort had seeped onto the floor at this stage. Panic set in.

Grabbed another fermeter that was full of napisan and still had a huge crust on it. Rinsed it maybe twice, badly.

Transfered the leaking fermenter to the dirty one. Certainly got aerated, that's for sure.

Dumped the leaking fermenter in the recycle bin. Fecker.

Only got 15L of Pils. Shit happens.

hahahahahhahaha last week I started collection and went back in side to make a phone call. When I returned about 10mins later there was only 3inches of wort in the NC container??????? I thought thats slow, open the lid to the kettle....................hop sludge! Left the tap open on the NC container and 21L of wort down the drain!

You win some and ya loose some.

hahahahahhahaha last week I started collection and went back in side to make a phone call. When I returned about 10mins later there was only 3inches of wort in the NC container??????? I thought thats slow, open the lid to the kettle....................hop sludge! Left the tap open on the NC container and 21L of wort down the drain!

You win some and ya loose some.

Did that with a 50l batch :(
Leak was quite slow that it leaked through the floor boards without making a puddle...

Lucky it was a double double brew day and had the 2nd batch remaining

While I have never had a disaster relating to my equipment or brews (not yet anyway) I always seem to end up with some sort of brew day injury.

A few weeks ago copped a broken toe after dropping a brick on it when setting up the outlet hose from the wort chiller so that it watered the garden. Had a bit of a limp for a few days after that.

Two weeks ago I was cleaning up at the end of the day when a thunderstorm rolled in and it started pissing down. Started to rush about getting all the equipment I had in the open under cover so it wouldn't get wet. Forgot that the concrete on my back patio becomes super slippery when wet. Legs out from under me, landed flat on my back with wind knocked out of me. Had to lay there for a couple of minutes while I tried to suck some air back in my lungs. Ended up that not only did my equipment get wet, I got soaked as well. And for a day or two after that felt like I used to after a game of rugby.

Last Friday when changing the fitting on my tap so I could hook up the wort chiller again, I cracked my head on the metal hose reel, resulting in a cut on the top of my forehead. Cut wasn't too bad but, as you probably know, cuts on the head bleed a lot. Ended up trying to set up my wort cooling process with one hand while holding a towel against my head trying to stop the bleeding. Hopefully no blood made it into the wort.

I didn't realise that brewing was such a dangerous hobby :p

I'd much rather a bad brew day than deal with a lingering infection. FFS it is frustrating!!. Think i've got it sussed so hope to brew this week, after not brewing since before xmas :(.

Mattress, you are having a pretty bad run at the moment hahaha.

did a brew a few weeks back and put the mill to work while i got other stuff going. by the time i checked the grain it was half done and turned to wholemeal flour... during the moving gear about i must have bumped the mill setting screws.

major pain in the ass. ended up using a hop sock to lauter it with. got a beer in the end.... just... at the cost of a whole chunk of sanity.

The mill now has scribe marks on the correct setting.....

Back